Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    WTB laserdisc are not convertible from 9 to 15mm either.

Carnivore
    I have a Giant SXC2 29er 15mm that I want to convert to 9mm QR so I can run it on my SS. I would need an adapter that fits flush with the end caps or new end caps. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Looks like they'll be good for use in bike rack wheel holders which are easily spread rather than hacking things up. Need to get a set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    My hubs are the wtb laserdisc lites, I believe, with a 15mm thru. Basically, if the hub slides into a 15mm fork and doesn't have removable adapters/ caps already, I don't know how the end caps can work. The inside width of both 15mm thru hubs and 9mm qr hubs is 100mm. The magic end caps add to that, making the hub too wide to fit in the fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the magic caps add about 1mm, the edge is very thin, it's there just to prevent you from pressing them in too far.
    Last edited by syl3; 03-03-2012 at 06:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    They won't work on the wtb hubs. The hub itself is already the full 100mm wide and these caps add a few mm's on either side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    all 15mm hubs are already 100mm wide, i have used these adapters successfully on quite a number of hubs, hope, shimano xt, in fact the only hubs that are confirmed not to work so far are probably dt swiss because of a specific design of their unsupported 15mm end caps

Quote Originally Posted by catchweasel View Post
    How are people getting on with those Mavic QR plugs? Just about to buy some as I've picked up a very cheap 15mm thru axled wheel.

Thanks

Rich
    the only design that does not work is dt swiss' unsupported end caps because the 15mm end cap is only used to preload the bearings from the side, you cannot put any weight on it from above, which is what the 9mm conversion does.

but if the end cap sits on an axle that goes through a larger bearing or if it is directly part of said axle, which is how most hubs work, you'll be fine
    Last edited by syl3; 03-03-2012 at 06:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

9mm Mavic adapter

using a set on a dt swiss x 1800 15mm front wheel.work quite well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been running the Mavic plug in converters in a 15mm XT front hub for the past few months without anything nasty happening. They seem rock solid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mavic adapters are only for mavic hubs. Please don't try to force them into other hubs. You are forcing 4mm extra into your fork causing them to expand outward. Hub plus caps = 104mm+\-1mm. I don't know if it's safe but I have a set of mavic cross rides and a set of bontrager dusters. Both the hubs are 100mm spacing but the mavics have a inside diameter beveled edge to accommodate the mavic adapters. You'll have to custom make an adapter for any other 15mm hubs. I had to make one two yrs ago for my dusters and it works flawless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting<-------- Here's the pIcture of what I did. Basically a bushing with a syncros 9mm qr. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting<-------- Here's the pIcture of what I did. Basically a bushing with a syncros 9mm qr. Cheers!
    Wouldn't there be lots of muck getting in between the bush and the hub causing wear?
    I have just got a 15mm thru axel XT hub with Stan's rims and am looking for a way of putting them onto my forks without having to buy new ones and as QR. The forum so far has been very informative!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Mavic 15mm QR plugs are still working well for me. Running Stans 29er rims on XT hubs on a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    D'reckon putting the bush in with the QR plugs would be a goer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you're running an xt 15mm thru hub i don't think you'll need a bush as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just ordered a set of Mavic adapters for my new XT hubs based on your guys' advice. Fingers crossed. Will post results.

mtbr member
    I'm a little bit late to the party here, but I am considering buying these plugs for a stock Giant wheelset. I think the hub is likely a formula hub. Has anybody had any issues with the slight extra width these add? Any experience with Giant branded wheels in general? I will just be using these adapters for a rigid steel fork.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I'm a little bit late to the party here, but I am considering buying these plugs for a stock Giant wheelset. I think the hub is likely a formula hub. Has anybody had any issues with the slight extra width these add? Any experience with Giant branded wheels in general? I will just be using these adapters for a rigid steel fork.
    No issues here. Theoretically all QR15 15mm hubs share the same hub width. I used them for about a year on a set of XTR Trail wheels with a Fox F120 Float fork. You notice a little more friction against the dropouts when removing/installing your wheel but otherwise just fine.

More Torque
    What about one of these adapters from Ebay seller mtbtools?

No affiliation or experience, but it seems like a reasonably priced solution that won't spread your fork unnaturally.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails adapter 15mm to quick release-15toqr.jpg  

adapter 15mm to quick release-15toqr4.jpg  

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post

No affiliation or experience, but it seems like a reasonably priced solution that won't spread your fork unnaturally.

-D
    These look very nicely made but likely a bit heavier than the Mavic adapters. I've purchased a headset press made by this eBay seller in the past and it was good quality.

As far as the unnatural fork spread, when I was using these, I noticed a little more friction against the dropouts when removing and installing the wheel but nothing that would lead me to think I was stressing the fork lowers in any dangerous way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

adapter 15mm to quick release

-D
    Those work great. I have a 9mm one. Think it weighed 23g if I remember right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I need to go the other way... I have a Syncros 9mm QR front wheel that I would like to convert to 15 mm thru axle. Any suggestions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

-D
    Just ordered one of these for my Fulcrum Red Power XL wheels I bought. Hope it works well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi, I'm looking for adapters to reduce my 20mm front Bontrager Rhythm Elite hub (off Trek Remedy) to a 15mm.

Trek offers a kit but I was told it is $50.00 and I have to have a shop order. Anyone have any other suggestions or know who makes the Bonty hubs?

Thank you,
    John

vermontbryan
    Oct 2004
    I tried the Mavic adapters in my XT hub but ended up purchasing the full length alloy axle on ebay from mtbtools, and have to say it is very light at approximately 45g, nicely finished, and fit perfectly. Highly recommended. There is a similar axle sold on the Ritchey Logic website, except it is necked down in the center to reduce weight. And chainreaction is selling one made by Nukeproof.

I am surprised that some folks are using the Mavic QR adapters in their XT 15mm thru axle hubs, because they did not work well with mine. The XT hub’s axle is 96mm long and the right side locknut makes up the difference so the assembled width across the hub from the left face of the axle to the right face of the locknut is 100mm. The left side Mavic adapter fits nice and snug, but the right side has to reach in 4mm before it makes contact with the axle, just enough so the o-ring doesn’t seat and the adapter can wiggle around and fall out. Of course when you have the skewer holding the whole thing together the adapter is trapped between the fork and the hub and can’t go anywhere. I rode it that way and the adapters worked, but I just didn’t feel very confident in them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've got the Nukeproof adapter from CReaction for converting an SLX front hub to 9mm. I'll report back as to how it works out.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

-D
    Those will work perfectly. But, you will need a 10mm thick thru-bolt axle, like DT Swiss RWS. Combined - the two make a precision reduction that is more robust than a 5mm QR, that feels no different than running full 15mm TA itself.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast