mtbr member
    Jan 2004

38T Outer Ring on a Triple Set up?

From online shop's description of the chainrings:

Shimano XT M785 Chainrings

For 2x precision Dyna-Sys shifting use chainrings in their designated combinations, do not use alternate configurations
    Match (AK)'s together or (AJ)'s together

Why can't the configurations be changed? I want to run a 38T outer ring on my XT M770 cranks. I know the M785 is 10 spd and my M770 is 9spd, but it's shifting fine. I only want the outer 38T ring.

What I want to run:
    22t, 32T, 38T

What I currently have:
    22T, 36T
    Rear ZEE mech
    SRAM 3x10 X9 front mech
    11T-36T XT Rear cassette
    XT M770 cranks and rings
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    It's recommended that you don't mix and match some components because they might not work optimally, from an engineering perspective.

But first of all, your rear derailleur has a capacity of 28T (DH) or 36T (FR), i'll assume 36T; the setup you want to run requires (38-22)+(36-11)=41T capacity. Also, the difference between 32T and 38T is not that great, practically... (much smaller than 22T to 32T)

You would be better off with a 26-38T + bash (or true 2X10), but even then you are pushing the rear derailleur's capacity at 37T because of your huge 11-36T cassette.

All in all, adding that 38T chainring will probably work and shift OK, perhaps very well, but some gear combinations will definitely stress the rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Additionally... thinking about it, i'm not sure if you can use an outer Shimano 2X10 chainring as an outer 3X10 chainring... I guess it will be fine as long as it's the correct BCD (104mm), but i could be wrong.

I'll reiterate that buying one inner and middle chainring is probably a better approach, for example some Blackspire 8/9 or 9/10 designed as inner and middle (ramped) chainrings. An inner chainring is only like $25. Nice colours available, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks but all I need to know is if it'll fit and shift okay
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Thanks but all I need to know is if it'll fit and shift okay
    I already responded to your question in the Turner forum. I replied that the M785 38T chainring will need a small amount of modification to fit on the M770 spider. I am also now thinking that the M785 chainrings are thicker where the bolt holes are. They are designed to mount on the backside of a spider... The chain ring bolt hole is recessed on the backside of the chainring which will probably cause spacing issues when mounted on the outside of a spider. I have a feeling that this will cause less than optimal shifting... You may want to look into a non-shimano chainring for this setup.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I already responded to your question in the Turner forum. I replied that the M785 38T chainring will need a small amount of modification to fit on the M770 spider. I am also now thinking that the M785 chainrings are thicker where the bolt holes are. They are designed to mount on the backside of a spider... The chain ring bolt hole is recessed on the backside of the chainring which will probably cause spacing issues when mounted on the outside of a spider. I have a feeling that this will cause less than optimal shifting... You may want to look into a non-shimano chainring for this setup.
    I have a m785 40t chain ring and just measured the thickness... it's 5mm. I didn't have time to measure the thickness of my outer m770 ring but I believe it is 4mm. This would cause the spacing to be off a little so again it may not shift the best. I also looked at the Blackspire SuperPro rings and they advertise their 38t as a middle chainring with a 5mm thickness.

Blackspire - SuperPro 104/64 BCD Chainrings | Blackspire
    Killing it with close inspection.