None
    Apr 2007

36T Compatibility with Older Derailleurs

Hello,

I am interested in using a 9 speed 36T rear SLX cassette. I have older XTR (M952) and XT (M760) rear derailleurs. Will the derailleurs handle a rear cog this large? I was just wondering if I would have to use an SLX RD to make this work. Any help or advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    all shadow style derailleurs are compatible with a 36t cassette, non shadow derailleurs will only work up to a 34t cassette.

None
    Apr 2007
    That is interesting to know. I checked the Shimano site and ALL of the 9 speed derailleurs are listed as taking a maximum 34T. Yet they make a 9 speed SLX 36T cassette. Even SLX derailleurs are listed at max 34T. Now I am confused. Obviously something works with it.

mtbr member
    Send me one and I'll try it out
    "It looks flexy"

aka 'Grover'
    Dura-ace 7800 derailleurs are rated to max 27T but often work with a 32T cassette. It depends on other factors, mainly the length and position of your derailleur hanger. Moral of the story, try it. It's the only way to know if it works on your frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHamster
    That is interesting to know. I checked the Shimano site and ALL of the 9 speed derailleurs are listed as taking a maximum 34T. Yet they make a 9 speed SLX 36T cassette. Even SLX derailleurs are listed at max 34T. Now I am confused. Obviously something works with it.
    trust me on this one, i know someone on the inside. shadow derailleurs work just fine on a 36t. the reason the stated max on the shadow derailleurs was 34t is because shimano didn't officially offer a 36t at the time... prototype only.

mtbr member
    What would be the limiting factor for a deraileur? Forget about chain wrap, as that would only effect the range of biggest to smallest that is possible.
    So, is it interference? Of what?

aka 'Grover'
    if it's not compatible the top (guide) jockey wheel will hit the cassette cog. ie. not enough b-tension adjustment range.