mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2013 Shimano XTR components will be the same or different?

Been in the biking scene for a year now so don't really know how component manufacturers work. I assume the current 2012 XTR lineup will have no significant changes for the 2013 right?

Is it every 4 years or so that there is a full refresh of the product line? If so, are there minor changes or model # changes between the product refreshes?

I am wondering if I should wait to to upgrade to the 2012 or 2013 XTR lineup crank and cassette.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The current XTR is pretty new so I doubt there will be any changes next year, though I'm no bike industry insider so I may be wrong.

Jan 2007
    Shimano XTR crank and cassette remain unchanged for 2013. Only the levers and the rear derailleurs have received new part numbers so are the only ones that change for 2013:

RD-M980 is now RD-M981 (Direct Mount Rear Derailleur Capable)
    RD-M985 is now RD-M986 (Direct Mount Rear Derailleur Capable)

SL-M980 is now SL-M980-A (2012 Speed Lever Revision, horizontal adjustability lost)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Peri View Post
    Shimano XTR crank and cassette remain unchanged for 2013. Only the levers and the rear derailleurs have received new part numbers so are the only ones that change for 2013:

RD-M980 is now RD-M981 (Direct Mount Rear Derailleur Capable)
    RD-M985 is now RD-M986 (Direct Mount Rear Derailleur Capable)

SL-M980 is now SL-M980-A (2012 Speed Lever Revision, horizontal adjustability lost)
    Thanks Do you work for Shimano?

Jan 2007
    No, I don't. You can find that info on Shimano's Tech Doc webpage. Very useful!