mtbr member

2012 XTR crankset question

is the new 10 speed XTR FC-M980 crankset compatible with 9 gear systems?

I love the looks and the reviews on the crankset and would just like to upgrade the crankset without spending a zillion on 10 speed cassette, chain and shifter.

I currently have 9 speed SRAM 970 11-34t cassette and dual 175 mm Deore LX 24-36t crankset, and was looking at 26-38t version (I can't believe they don't have 24-36t version - why is that?) as I read it can take bashguard and I think would fit perfectly on my SX Trail.

but - have to say I'm actually getting better and fitter and feel like 24t granny is a bit small for me now as I regularly drive in the second or even third gear in the rear on the climbs lately...

if anyone knows, please let me know...

p.s. I'm also considering XT crankset as well, as it's half the price with almost identical performance.
    I'm hearing so much people telling me to go for XT, but XTR look s so god-damn cool...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's tough to really know. What do you have on there right now? A 2 ring setup (26/38) is NOT going to play nice with your previous front and rear deraileurs. You might be able to work a 3 ring setup, if that's what you have on there right now. Just match up the ring size to what you had on the old one, or at least get as close as you can. If you end up trying the new 26/38, you will more than likely have to get a new front deraileur/shifter combo. Then you might have to get a new chain, because sometimes 9 speed chains aren't narrow enough for 10 speed front deraileurs. Basically, there's a lot you have to consider. Try to narrow down your question

mtbr member
    hey there.
    since this post I discovered a lot of info on everything regarding bike drivetrains and put (not on SXT but on S-Works Enduro) XT crank with 26/36t combo.

I'm loving it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah I've got the sram 26/39, pretty similar to the 26/36. I really like it so far! Xt is a great component group though, you really can't go wrong with that purchase. It might not be the lightest (when compared to xtr/xo/xx), but it's performance is on par with the best that can be offered. Glad you like it! What kind of bike are you running that new crankset on?

mtbr member
    I always used Shimano cranks and just wanted to keep using them as they treated me really good all these years - that's why I didn't even considered using anything else.

I ride those XT cranks on 2011 S-Works Enduro.

XT is known for stiffness and the weight is really good (820 g). I don't go eazy on the bike and it just powers through everything I put it against - rocks, roots, jumps. evertything.

have to admit though that moving from 24t to 26t granny felt weird as I could really feel it moving a bit slower. but now I just love more efficient pedaling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice. I'm sure they will keep treating you well. Enjoy riding in the fall season!

mtbr member
    thanx!
    ride on brother...

vbx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I purchased the 30 speed Deore XT groupset along with a new wheels with Shimano hubs. Night and day. It's so smooth, it's like riding on air. The pedaling feels so much better. But then again, I had some crappy pos parts before.

Was it worth the price I paid? Not sure. But I'm happy with the end results.

mtbr member
    cool.
    never had experience with anything but cranks from Shimano and I love them.

I'm hearing only raving about 2012 XT brakes, but I don't like the looks, have to admit. my Formulas are serving me well...

seems there are only a handful displeased Shimano users - that's saying a lot about them...