2OFME
    Sep 2006

2011 10 Speed mtn and road STI

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I am too lazy to search.

I assume the answer is yet, but would like to see if anyone knows for sure.....

Will the new 2011 XT 10 speed rear derailleur work with 105, ultegra 10 speed shifters?

I'm building up a Salsa Fargo and I am either going Apex 10 speed or Shimano 10 speed if possible. I may use barcons, but if shimano road STI will work with the new XT 10 speed stuff, I may go that route.

Apex is probably the less expensive option though.

Thanks!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    No, they won't. This has been covered ad nauseum in the drivetrain forum. Its even stickied.

Shimano 10 speed mtn shifters and rear derailleurs are incompatible with any other shimano 10 speed or 9speed shifters and rear derailleurs. Neither the 10speed roar bar cons or STI will work with the 10 speed XT derailleurs.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Well that just blows, but then again...this is Shimano. Making their new stuff incompatible with their old stuff is par for the course with them. Sram it is then.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    How is SRAM any better? Their 10 speed stuff is also equally incompatible with their 9 speed stuff. The ten speed rear derailleurs have a different cable pull requirement than the 9speed ones, so the shifters are also incompatible with the different speed versions.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    How is SRAM any better? Their 10 speed stuff is also equally incompatible with their 9 speed stuff. The ten speed rear derailleurs have a different cable pull requirement than the 9speed ones, so the shifters are also incompatible with the different speed versions.

Didn't say Sram was better , but with Sram Apex I can get 10 speed, 11-32 cassette and use either TT 500 bar ends or brifters. To get the gear range I want with Shimano, I appear to be "limited" to 9 speed to build this bike I have in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    At least Sram's road and MTB 10 speed setups are completely interchangeable. To the OP: You can use any regular 9 speed shimano MTB rear der with your 10 speed road STI's with no issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes
    I'm sure this has been addressed, but I am too lazy to search.

I assume the answer is yet, but would like to see if anyone knows for sure.....

Will the new 2011 XT 10 speed rear derailleur work with 105, ultegra 10 speed shifters?

I'm building up a Salsa Fargo and I am either going Apex 10 speed or Shimano 10 speed if possible. I may use barcons, but if shimano road STI will work with the new XT 10 speed stuff, I may go that route.

Apex is probably the less expensive option though.

Thanks!
    you can use 9 spd MTB derailleurs with 10 spd road shifters. you've been able to do this for years. whats the big deal?

Trail Junkie
    I guess the compatability w/ 9spd MTB R/D w/ STI shifters answers the question, just not in the way that he hoped.

I do see where he is coming from though. Shimano doesn't simplify things to give you options. Sure, you can use a 9spd R/D w/ 10spd system, but it wasn't intended..but it works.

SRAM on the other hand, is intended to be interchangable, so parts work for different types of bike applications like hybrids, cyclocross, mtb, road, touring with 2x10,3x10,Apex,Force,Rival,Red and non grouped all at a less expensive price. With shimano you are almost forced to a dedicated component group for any given application.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    May 2009

Chain and Cassette

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    At least Sram's road and MTB 10 speed setups are completely interchangeable. To the OP: You can use any regular 9 speed shimano MTB rear der with your 10 speed road STI's with no issues.
    I assume a 10 speed chain and cassette complete this set-up. Any issues with the narrower 10 spd chain and the 9 spd rear derailleur jockey wheels?