mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2008 XT derailleur causing cable fraying?

My 2008 XT rear derailleur seems to eat shift cables. The cable frays where it's clamped to the derailleur by a bolt and small washer or plate. I think I'm getting the cable properly clamped in its little groove on the derailleur housing, but I might be applying too much torque on the bolt. I have to replace the cable about every 3 months, which seems quick to me.

I was curious if anyone else was running into the same problem. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Can you post a picture? I've not had any problems like this unless the cable was too short and I didn't use a cable crimp on the end.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

wyrd bi ful rd
    make sure you use a cable crimp on the end ... and i usually store the bike with the gear lever in the 'fully released' setting ...

mtbr member
    do you mean you store it in the granny ring and the smallest cog at the rear?

wyrd bi ful rd
    i am using a low normal rear derailleur and so it is in the largest cog ... i guess for a high normal derailleur, it is a toss up ...

mtbr member
    ive got a sram xo, i was always taught to leave it in a lowish cog - about the 7th cog as to reduce any tension on the spring so it lasts longer. Im using powercordz/pre stretched cables so that should be alright.

wyrd bi ful rd
    yeah as small a cog as is possible for sram derailleurs will logically extend the life of your cables ...

...idios...
    Is it a Shadow XT? If the cable is too long (over 3cm) it will catch on the spokes in lower gears.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My shadow XT has been doing the same thing but haven't been able to figure it out yet. Sometimes the cable will last several rides but I have had brand new cables fray just before the clamp bolt after just 1 ride. Really wierd.