mtbr member
    Nov 2006

2007 XTR Rotor compatibility question...

hey guys, this is probably a silly question, but alas, i am a newbie to the sport/culture. can anyone tell me if the 07 xtr rotors would work with shimano saint calipers? i got a set of saints as a gift (minus rotors), and found a really great bargin on a pair of 07 xtr rotors. thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Japanther
    hey guys, this is probably a silly question, but alas, i am a newbie to the sport/culture. can anyone tell me if the 07 xtr rotors would work with shimano saint calipers? i got a set of saints as a gift (minus rotors), and found a really great bargin on a pair of 07 xtr rotors. thanks in advance.
    The xtr comes in two different diameter rotors = 160mm and 180mm
    Make sure you get the correct Siant caliper adaptor (160mm) and you'll be fine

mtbr member
    Actually XTR come in 4 sizes this year. 140, 160, 180, and 203mm and yes they will work with Saint calipers with out an issue.
    enjoy

mtbr member
    found a really great bargin on a pair of 07 xtr rotors. thanks in advance.
    Are you sure that they are 07 XTR rotors? 2007 XTR has ony just become available. Not that it matters. If they are 06 they are just as good. This is an 07 rotor.

Ronnie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ronnie; 12-23-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ^ yup, those are the ones. thanks for the help guys!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    wait a sec... the shimano component spec page reads: "center lock yes" for their 07 XTR rotors, but "center lock yes (larger type)" for their saint hubs! what gives?? does this mean the xtr rotors are too small for the sait hubs?? can anyone clear this up for me?

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1166947321008

mtbr member
    wait a sec... the shimano component spec page reads: "center lock yes" for their 07 XTR rotors, but "center lock yes (larger type)" for their saint hubs! what gives?? does this mean the xtr rotors are too small for the sait hubs?? can anyone clear this up for me?
    Your original question was a bit confusing. You did not mention using Saint hubs and I'm still not sure if that is what you mean. If you are going to use a 160mm. rotor you can use it with just about any caliper, assuming a compatible rotor and hub combination. The Saint center lock rotors have a larger spline than the other Shimano groups (XTR/XT etc.) and therefore you would need to use Saint hubs.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1166947321008
    Yup the Saint hubs centerlocks are different than the XTR centerlocks. I believe it's to allow more room for 20mm thru-axles for the downhill folks, not to mention perhaps a bit more distribution of braking force...

GL,
    -don

Hardtail Freak
    That is true, I can confirm this, I was buiding up my bike last year and thought I could use Hone brakes on Saint hubs, but it doesn't work. So I had to return my Hone brakes and go full Saint setup. Saint centerlock rotors can only be used with corresponding Saint centerlock hubs, or DT Swiss 440 freeride hubs with the Oversized Saint centerlock interface, which is what I have.

mtbr member
    you can use Hone brakes with Siant hubs. the only thing that is propietory to the hub is the rotor, not the entire brake. Although the saint brake is far superior and you will enjoy that a lot more.

Hardtail Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    you can use Hone brakes with Siant hubs. the only thing that is propietory to the hub is the rotor, not the entire brake. Although the saint brake is far superior and you will enjoy that a lot more.
    You can only use Hone brakes with Saint hubs if you use a Saint rotor on the Saint hub. The centerlock interface is much larger on the Saint rotors and hubs, thus not compatible with the Hone rotors and hubs, You can however use a Hone caliper on a Saint rotor yes.