w3rd.

2007 XTR DCL Question

The instant release system for the 07 dcl's seem like a cool idea. However I do have a few questions:

1. How much different is it from the 06's? I know with the 06's you go 1 up, 3 down. So do the 07's go 2 up, and 2 down?

2. Will the 07's shift slower than the 06's? I would think having to push up the lever two times instead of a bunch of quick one timers would feel slower. Any ideas?

3. Does anyone have them yet? If so, let me know how much you like them.

Thanks for reading!

mtbr member
    I've had mine since september and think they are better than the 06 versions. you are correct the shifter now has 2 up and 2 down shifting.
    To answer your second question: you can still do the quick shifts (one at a time if you like) or just push the lever a little furture and you get the second release. I liked the 06 version and didnt think they needed changing untill I started riding these. the brake feel is vastly improved. modulation and braking control is unsurpassed. I dont think i've riding traditional brake lever brakes that feel this good. The shifting is just as intuitive as it used to be but the ergonomics of the new shifters and the new features (instant release and multi-release) make these shifters a lot more user friendly. Also, on the older version the thumb lever was in the way and almost everybody removed them. the new thumb lever is tucked up next to the shifter body and is not in the way at all. I've even started using it to release cable on steep descents that dont let me let go of the brake lever. I can pre-select my gear before i start to climb again, without sacrificing my safety by letting go of the brake lever. I think this is the best shifting system available for XC/trail riding.

w3rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    I've had mine since september and think they are better than the 06 versions. you are correct the shifter now has 2 up and 2 down shifting.
    To answer your second question: you can still do the quick shifts (one at a time if you like) or just push the lever a little furture and you get the second release. I liked the 06 version and didnt think they needed changing untill I started riding these. the brake feel is vastly improved. modulation and braking control is unsurpassed. I dont think i've riding traditional brake lever brakes that feel this good. The shifting is just as intuitive as it used to be but the ergonomics of the new shifters and the new features (instant release and multi-release) make these shifters a lot more user friendly. Also, on the older version the thumb lever was in the way and almost everybody removed them. the new thumb lever is tucked up next to the shifter body and is not in the way at all. I've even started using it to release cable on steep descents that dont let me let go of the brake lever. I can pre-select my gear before i start to climb again, without sacrificing my safety by letting go of the brake lever. I think this is the best shifting system available for XC/trail riding.
    Wow, thank you for the answer!

What RD are you running? I have a 2006 XT rapidrise rear. Can you use the new DCL's with the older XT's? I don't see why not, but I just want to make sure.

mtbr member
    you sure can, it'll work great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I found the 07' DCL's *easier* to accidentally activate the Front Brake when shifting up from granny to middle and middle to big.
    - Some people complained about that happening on the 06's but I've never had an instance of that happening to me. The 07's sure do feel nice though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What brakes are you using with the new DCL`s? I am trying to decide which way to go either DCL or rapid fire. I like the DCL and have the old version, but I would like to have some other brake options, I guess than just shimano.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk
    What brakes are you using with the new DCL`s? I am trying to decide which way to go either DCL or rapid fire. I like the DCL and have the old version, but I would like to have some other brake options, I guess than just shimano.
    There are no other options for DCL brakes than shimano. But having said that, shimano brakes are great. Tried a friend's '07 XTR, a bit more grabby than my XTs from 2 years ago. Juicy's are probably the grabbiest, but '07 XTRs are good. plus you get centerlock discs which are nicer. and of course (what i think is) better ergonomics with the DCL shifters...

GL,
    -don