mtbr member

2005 Shimano LX Dual Control & High Normal RD

Hi,

Lately I've been thinking to upgrade/swap my brakes from Avid Juicy 5 to Shimano Deore LX/XT.

I've found someone selling the full Shimano LX calipers and dual control lever bodies on ebay at a fairly good price.

I believe that I have a 2005 High Normal XT rear deraileur at the moment (I use my thumb to down-shift and my index to up-shift)- On a 2005 Giant Trance 2.

Just wondering if the 2005 Shimano LX Dual Control is compatible with my current deraileur?
    And if you're running this set up, how do you find it?

Cheers.

mtbr member

sounds like reverse shift to me

if your using your thumb to get the chain into a smaller cog its reverse shift... if thats the same as hi normal, then so be it.
    I just got LX dual control and put it on my bike last night. I'm using XTR short cage regular shift RD.
    According to the instructions, when you press the lever down it is suppose to put the chain onto a smaller chain ring( front three) mine puts it on a bigger ring. its backward, but it doesnt matter thats how i will get used to it.
    Yours should work fine with your derailleur..
    So far I'm not sure on braking power though, I'm used to hayes HFX 9's immediate stopping, no modulation. I'll give it another week if I don't like them they will go for sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ive got 2006 LX dual controls running with a 07 xtr high normal rd, so when you moove the brake lever up it shifts up into a haarder gear. i find this set up more intuitive than the conventional setup