Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

1x10 using Dyna Sys XT?

Hello!
    I just purchased a new Intense Tracer Vp and ordered some sweet Shimano XT 10 speed stuff to go on it!

But...I went for a 1x10....not really knowing if this will work...I plan on using just one 32t chainring on front and the 10 speed cassette (11-36) at the back....Will it work? Chain guide duties will be taken care of with an mrp chainguide.

Should I use the stock 32t chainring? Or go with an aftermarket single speed DH ring, like the ones e13 or mrp make?

I did order a 10 speed chain BTW....

Thank you!
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    I run 1 x 10 XT on my Firebird and it works brilliantly.

XT rear derailleur, chain, cassette and shifter.
    Saint cranks.
    Renthal chainring
    E13 LG1+ chainguide

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    I run 1 x 10 XT on my Firebird and it works brilliantly.

XT rear derailleur, chain, cassette and shifter.
    Saint cranks.
    Renthal chainring
    E13 LG1+ chainguide
    Ah Great!
    Thanks for responding!
    I think I'm gonna have to order a single speed chainring...or downhill chainring...Those Renthal stuff looks pretty awesome! Mini-moto!

What size chainring do you use? And what terrain do you ride on? I mean, do you climb a lot?

Full fledged member
    I also was thinking of doing a 1x10 with XT dyna-sys. I was thinking a 32 or 34 up front with a 11-36 rear. Do I need a long rear derailer?

mtbr member
    My stuff is arriving today. XT 10 speed with mid-cage, 11-36, 32t e.13 single speed front ring, Straitline silentguide... I have been running 9spd 11-34 and I just need that one extra gear for the really steep stuff. Can't wait to try it. I would have bought the Renthal but it wasn't available in the US.
    "It looks flexy"

Full fledged member
    How necessary is the chain guide?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyWayne
    How necessary is the chain guide?
    With 1x9 you need something. There are some really nice minimal ones from e.13 and mrp for XC people but for AM or more you really need a guide/tensioner.
    "It looks flexy"

Full fledged member
    Thanks. I ride XC with a 3x now and stay mostly in the 32 crank. I don't have issues with the chain falling off now so I was wondering why I would need one with a 1x setup.

mtbr member
    There's a bit of climbing around my way. Mostly short, steep, technical stuff but I have a long gradual climb to get to it all. The short steep, technical stuff is a bit harder but I'll get fitter.

I'm using a 34 tooth chainring with the 11-36 cassette and medium cage derailleur. The guide is very quiet. Initally I wasn't sure it was going to fit on the 2 ring Saint cranks, but it did. If it didn't I was going to use a Straitline Silent Guide.

It's a pretty wide spread using one chainring across the whole cassette. I'm happy to have a little extra weight knowing the chain isn't going to come off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyWayne
    Thanks. I ride XC with a 3x now and stay mostly in the 32 crank. I don't have issues with the chain falling off now so I was wondering why I would need one with a 1x setup.
    You can use your front derailleur but it doesn't have the "wall" effect the guides do - your chain can fall down on the granny tabs or on your bb shell which you don't want.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for all your replies!

Few things:

Would it be rideable with just the 1.x chainguide by MRP?

Does the 10 speed chain compatible with the single speed chainring?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    1 x 10 XT setup. I ordered a Paul but it wouldn't work with my frame, so I went without a keeper. First ride and no issues. 12"-24" climb up/ drops through rock gardens and all good. I think smart shifting plays as big of a role as the step ups and drops. Nothing under heavy torque. Others may experience something different or ride hard core and need one, I don't know. I can only speak to my experience.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber
    Hey thanks for all your replies!

Few things:

Would it be rideable with just the 1.x chainguide by MRP?

Does the 10 speed chain compatible with the single speed chainring?
    Our 1.X is primarily aimed at shorter travel full suspension bikes and hardtails. Our new Lopes SL guide is probably your best bet. It's a brand new product and we're trying to fit it to as many bikes as possible to ensure it's compatibility, so I can't guarantee it's gonna work. We haven't tried it on the Tracer yet, but I'm 99% confident.

We did just fit one to a Blur XC carbon (w/ Shimano 10) and had to clock it a bit counter-clockwise from ideal to clear the stay, so it doesn't provide heaps of tension, but will keep your chain on. We also used our Podium non-ramped ring on this setup.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Our 1.X is primarily aimed at shorter travel full suspension bikes and hardtails. Our new Lopes SL guide is probably your best bet. It's a brand new product and we're trying to fit it to as many bikes as possible to ensure it's compatibility, so I can't guarantee it's gonna work. We haven't tried it on the Tracer yet, but I'm 99% confident.

We did just fit one to a Blur XC carbon (w/ Shimano 10) and had to clock it a bit counter-clockwise from ideal to clear the stay, so it doesn't provide heaps of tension, but will keep your chain on. We also used our Podium non-ramped ring on this setup.
    Wow thanks! I did ask you guys if the Lopes was gonna be available...So I will probably call my LBS and change the 1.x for the Lopes...You guys said to me in the email, that you just have the bottom bracket version...not ISCG..is this true? when will the guide with ISCG mounts be available?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Wow thanks! I did ask you guys if the Lopes was gonna be available...So I will probably call my LBS and change the 1.x for the Lopes...You guys said to me in the email, that you just have the bottom bracket version...not ISCG..is this true? when will the guide with ISCG mounts be available?
    I'm not sure, I just started last week so I don't know what the availibility is on all of our new products and their various versions. I'll find out for you on Monday.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

Full fledged member
    Are the XT Dyna-Sys chainrings available now? I would like to just buy a new chainring instead of buying a new crank to get the chainrings. Or can I use my existing chainring with the XT Dyna-Sys cassette?
    1.21 Gigawatts

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Still about 30 days out for the ISCG Lopes guides. BB mount versions are in-stock now. Thanks
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Still about 30 days out for the ISCG Lopes guides. BB mount versions are in-stock now. Thanks
    Hey man thanks a lot!
    Gonna ask my LBS today!
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm using my existing XT 770 middle ring with no problems. When it wears I think I will probably find a non ramped single speed specific ring (running 1x10 setup).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop29
    I'm using my existing XT 770 middle ring with no problems. When it wears I think I will probably find a non ramped single speed specific ring (running 1x10 setup).
    Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to know!
    Did you use different chainring bolts?

mtbr member
    FYI, I'm using the e.13 1x chainring and it's working well with the Shimano 10 speed chain.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I'm using the Renthal SR4 chainring and it's working fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    that's great,
    i want to buy a 1x10 speed for my enduro/freeride bike, and so want to buy the new xt derailleur, so i can use as i want , any chainring, in 34t or 36 or 32t? because shimano says that you can use a 32t , but not a specific shimano chainring

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    9-speed chainrings work fine with 10s setups.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ok nice.thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast