mtbr member
    Oct 2005

10spd, do I need a new rear derailleur?

10spd, do I need a new rear derailleur? Converting from 9spd.
    Meh

ups and downs
    Yep, 9 speed are non compatible with 10 speed shifters
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Yes, rear derailleurs are set for specific number of gears. To run 10 speeds, you will need a 10sp derailleur.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Well not quite, Dyna-Sys 10 speed shifters and derailleurs are specific to each other, in the same way the 7/8 speed era DuraAce rear derailleurs and shifters were unique to each other (it had to do with the rear derailleur body geometry) and won't work with any other derailleurs or shifters from shimano regardless of what "speed" number they're labeled as. The 10 speed road derailleurs and shifters actually use the identical geometry and are fully compatible with all the other mtb derailleurs and shifters, from 7 to 9 speeds, and all the 8-9 speed road shifters and derailleurs.

So if you're using an SLX, XT or XTR 10 speed shifter (which are the three Dyna-Sys series 10 speed shifters available), you need one of the Dyna-Sys 10 speed derailleurs to work with it.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    So if you're using an SLX, XT or XTR 10 speed shifter (which are the three Dyna-Sys series 10 speed shifters available), you need one of the Dyna-Sys 10 speed derailleurs to work with it.
    OR a 9spd SRAM derailleur. Surprisingly it works.

mtbr member
    so if i buy a xt dyna sys 10 speed deraliur will it work with my 9 speed xt shifter and cassest?
    if it does then i can upgrade deraliur, and do casset and shifter when the cassest wears out spreading the cost a little bit
    Rolling & Tumbling

~Disc~Golf~
    OP, why are you 'upgrading' ()?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Got bent when it got pushed into my wheel and snaped the hanger off, need to get a new one anyway
    Rolling & Tumbling

ups and downs
    10 speed Dyna Sys is only compatible with other 10 speed Dyna Sys drivetrain stuff, no mixing 9 and 10 speed components of any sort.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    don't try mixing up 9sp and 10sp drivetrain components.. i tried and failed (miserably). gonna get new shifters, sprocket and chain..i can't get the 10sp xt rd work properly with a 9spd shifter and sprocket.

mtbr member
    thanks for the feed back, Just the ticket, think i will stick to 9sp, but would not mind the 11-36 for the lazyt climbs
    Rolling & Tumbling

mtbr member
    shimano makes an 11-36 9spd cassette. CS-HG61 think

whistler
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    10 speed Dyna Sys is only compatible with other 10 speed Dyna Sys drivetrain stuff, no mixing 9 and 10 speed components of any sort.
    not quite true. you could keep your 9-sp rear shifter, derailleur, and cassette, and use 10-sp front shifter, derailleur, rings, and chain.

do 9-speed SRAM rear derailleurs really work with shimano 10-speed front shifters?!