mtbr member
    Apr 2007

10s chain with XTR M970 crank possible?

Hi everybody,

is the new 10speed chain working with the old XTR M970 crankset? Or is it really mandatory to change the cranks aswell (wich would almost double the price for upgrading)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, I chatted with Shimano rep's. They said (off the record) yes. However I was asking if the new XTR cranks were compatable with 9 speed set ups. I guess they should work with the older cranks and new 10speed derailures etc.
    Skye

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2011 xtr crank with 9 speed set-up

Quote Originally Posted by skyerose123
    Hi, I chatted with Shimano rep's. They said (off the record) yes. However I was asking if the new XTR cranks were compatable with 9 speed set ups. I guess they should work with the older cranks and new 10speed derailures etc.

Hi skyerose123, in your chat with the shimano reps, will the 2011 xtr crank work with an existing 9 speed cassette and 970 series front derailleur? want to upgrade to the 10 speed set up only when Hope releases their 10-speed cassette. But i want the new XTR cranks now. thanks in advance.

mansy, sorry for being off-topic and hijacking your thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, the new 2011 will work with 9 speed, but this was off the record. They mentioned this when I complained that with the current econmic climate I could not afford the full groupset and intended to buy a peice at a time.
    Skye

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I wouldn't hesitate using the new cranks with a 9s chain. But I have concerns the other way round. It's obvious that new new 10s chain is narrower, so does it fit on the teeths of the 970 chainring?

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    I'm running a KMC X10-SL 10-speed chain on my XTR M970 crankset with no issues whatsoever... I doubut you'd have any problems with other 10-speed chains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TORO1968
    I'm running a KMC X10-SL 10-speed chain on my XTR M970 crankset with no issues whatsoever... I doubut you'd have any problems with other 10-speed chains.

Thank you! That is what I wanted to hear