mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Wahoo disc, Giant Rincon or Sette comp 5.0

I'm looking to get into the sport. Mostly XC type biking with mild drops and jumps. Mostly a weekend warrior type hobby. I'm trying to decide between a Giant Rincon, a Gary Fisher Wahoo disc and a Sette Comp 5.0. They are all $400. any info would help. any other suggestions appreciated.

AKA Dr.Nob
    You could easily do some mild XC riding on any of those bikes but there is no way in the world i would be doing any drops or jumps, even mild ones.

If you do anything wild you'll just break stuff.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Rincon and Wahoo Disc are nice bikes, I would avoid the Sette Comp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Au contraire...

I'm 6'4" 180+ and I have a Wahoo Disc that I dropped 2 feet at speed (to a good transition, of course) 3-4 times last night at Chubb (which is ROCKY) w/ no ill effects, or even a jarring landing. My cranks are upgraded to LX HTII's, and I have Avid BB7s but other than that it's pretty much all stock. The Wahoo should be able to do anything that any other reasonably priced Fisher HT can, it's the same frame until you get up well over $1000.

I did mangle the original crankset, now that I think of it, but... I upgraded for around $100 bucks and bought a backup set, and it's been money ever since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks jimbo...thats the kind of endorsement I was waiting for to make my decision. I've read reviews about all of them and I was kinda leaning toward the Fisher anyway.

Mud Magnet
    Oct 2006
    Hi GatorWheels, I was in a similar position to you 18 months ago - I went for the GF. This was mainly due to the frame because as it's used through a lot of the range it looked a good option for upgrading. I've gradually been replacing components as they wear out, like Jimbofive I've just put on LX HTII crank set. Next on my upgrade list are forks and brakes.

I've got a medium frame and it's fantastic for throwing around technical singletrack. The bikes taken a lot of punishment since I've had it and it's still going strong - I can highly recommend the Wahoo.
    DirtyWahoo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Gatorwheels - I hope you do go w/ the Wahoo. I think it's a steal, either that or the mid-range Fishers are rip-offs, because they do use the same frame on several bikes. I've been way too hard on mine I feel like, and the frame, rims, fork, etc. have held up beautifully.

DirtyWahoo - I would look at the '08 Avid BB7s - I was able to stick them on the original Shimano rotors w/ no problem, and it is SO NICE to adjust them on the trail w/out an allen wrench, just your fingers. My impetus for buying them was that I destroyed my rear brake taking a nasty downhill fall clipped in that whipped the rear end into a rock. Part of the reason for the wreck was the inability to modulate front brake well w/ the Shimanos and the other half was just inexperience. They are really great brakes (best mech. out there) and I think JensonUSA has them for $60 (per brake) free shipping.

As for a fork, I'm not sure what to get (for next year). I really don't see the need to upgrade anything else on this bike. When dialed in and lubed correctly, drivetrain shifts just fine, and I like having the heavier wheelset because it makes me work harder and takes harder hits.

I'm moving to CO next summer, and that might entail getting a FS AM bike for $1500+ so I don't see any reason to pour a whole lot more into the Wahoo. But it is a VERY serviceable XC bike, that's for sure.

Mud Magnet
    Oct 2006
    I was thinking of going the hydro route for the brakes, but I do know people who have the BB7 and rate them very highly. The problem I had last winter was the cables freezing! (it was a particularly cold night ride) My 06 Wahoo disc (UK) came with Hayes MX2 brakes, they work ok and pad wear is fair but the manual adjustment and only having one side actuation is a pain.

Forks, I'm thinking of Rockshox Reba's which will be a huge step up in performance from the J1's.

No problem with the gears, apart from having to replace the front mech when I replaced the crankset (the bike came with the E fitting mech for a 42t chainring, the new crankset was 44t). The basic Deore mech feels so much more positive than the old one.
    DirtyWahoo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    interesting... i kept the e-type mech and it works fine w/ the 44T... who knows. i may very well upgrade that though, front mech's are cheap, and i think that the wahoo has an acera or an alivio or whatever the 2nd worst shimano has is. seems like i've seen XT front ders for 40 bucks or less.

Mud Magnet
    Oct 2006
    I originally had no intention of changing the front mech but it couldn't move past the chainring. I went with the Deore front mech as I'm sure I wouldn't appreciate the subtle differences between that and a LX or XT front mech.

I can't imagine I'll upgrade the rear mech unless it breaks, it shifts fine... when it's clean. Of course if go for hydro brakes that will mean different levers and new shifters... new mech?
    DirtyWahoo