mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Trigger = pulled or I just bought my Razzo! Update - build pics

Well here I go, frame and headset (cane creek 40) bought. Once they come in I'll be stripping down my current 26" to supply parts for the build. Can't wait, I'll post pics of the build though it may be a few weeks. This is really cool, I've wanted a 29er for quite a while now.
    Last edited by RCook; 07-21-2011 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Congrats on the new ride. I will be cool to see a new custom Razzo built up.

Looking forward to the pics!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Build pics for my Razzo 29er.

First I disassembled (No Disassemble #5!) my old 26er, taking basically everything from it less the wheels and fork. Then everything was washed in hot soapy water with most parts getting the old toothbrush scrub. From there all parts were inspected, lubed if needed and set aside. Took the frame to the LBS with a 12 pack and got the headset pressed in (it's a very busy time in Iowa with RAGBRAI starting next week and everyone needing something *right now*) and then it was reassembly time! So far so good, more pics to follow.

Blue Pig
    buuuuuuuump
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well let me report with some ride impressions and such.

Obviously it's not my full-sus 26" so to say the ride and handling are quite different would be pointless. I'm somewhat limited trail wise where I live without driving so the trails I'm riding are what I've always ridden on my previous two 26" MTB's.

Geartrain: a 3x9 setup is almost pointless, be that they type of trail I ride, my build or just the bike I'm finding that I use the smallest (22t) chain ring maybe once and only on one trail that I ride. I've also noticed that I'm bashing the big ring (42t) on things I've never hit before on the full-sus bike. I actually emailed Sette to make sure that the frame geometry wasn't designed around a 2x10 crank, it wasn't. The Sette rep suggested that I was now rolling over bigger obstacles due to having a 29er but strangely just cause I got a new bike new obstacles haven't miraculously appeared. So I don't know why but I'm now bashing far more often than I was (insert comments about learning how to ride). I'm thinking of saving pennies and moving to a 2x10 but we'll see.

Weight: Don't have a scale but daaaamn! If this thing is more than 30lbs I'd be shocked and I'd like to say in the 25-28lb range honestly. It's lighter than a friends Specialized 26" HT with a Mavic wheelset (my old wheels actually). It's by far the lightest bike I've owned.

Riding: I've heard people say 29ers accelerate slower and I think I'd agree to that. It's not glacial but slower. Once at speed though it maintains it well. Cornering is different you really need to ride the bike more, more body english more steering it's just different, not bad, not better, different and I like it. Old trails are new and that's great.

Overall I'm blown away by the bike, for the money it can't be beat. If there are specific questions ask and I'll answer.

Oh and the last thing. I finally have a bike that doesn't make me look like a giant on tricycle, it's sized proportionately so much better than my 26", now it may be that I'm 6'3" but still a 29er just looks right

mighty sailin' man
    you never shared a completed picture did you?

Do you miss the squish or are you liking the simplicity?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    you never shared a completed picture did you?

Do you miss the squish or are you liking the simplicity?
    No I need to take a completed pic, I'll try to get that done this weekend.

I'm pleasantly surprised that I don't miss the suspension. Realistically I think I bought a full-sus cause I could not because I needed it. The HT is much faster and climbs so much better, especially on pavement which I have to ride to get to the trails. Also the big wheels/tires have enough compliance that the ride isn't harsh at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCook View Post
    I'm thinking of saving pennies and moving to a 2x10 but we'll see.
    Easier and cheaper to just replace the large chainring with a bashguard. I replaced the middle chainring to a 36tooth. I absolutely love the setup. very wide range of gears and you have the bashguard to protect the chainring teeth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Easier and cheaper to just replace the large chainring with a bashguard. I replaced the middle chainring to a 36tooth. I absolutely love the setup. very wide range of gears and you have the bashguard to protect the chainring teeth.
    Ooh, please talk more on this if you would. Sources for parts would be great as well. Why 36t if I can ask? Currently I'm running 22-32-42 (big might be 44 dont remember). Wouldn't a 38t be a better compromise strictly numerically? Seriously though I'm very interested just don't know where to get the parts.

mtbr member
    Ooh, please talk more on this if you would. Sources for parts would be great as well. Why 36t if I can ask? Currently I'm running 22-32-42 (big might be 44 dont remember). Wouldn't a 38t be a better compromise strictly numerically? Seriously though I'm very interested just don't know where to get the parts.

I went with the 36 because the front derailleur is somewhat limited in its ability to make larger jumps. Mine works fine with the 22t small and the 36t middle. A larger jump may not work very well. For me, the stock 32t was way to small. I still spin out the 36t, but only very occasionally on a fast fire road or pavement.

The conversion is super easy. Just remove the chainring bolts that hold on the large chainring. Remove the middle chainring and replace with the new middle chainring (or don't replace...). Then slip the bashguard on in place of the large chainring. I had to go to the shop and buy some longer chainring bolts to accommodate the added thickness of the bashguard, but it wasn't a big deal.

Then, you need to tune out the 3rd click on your front derailleur. It's pretty easy if you are familiar with adjusting your own shifting. Just turn the upper limit screw all the way in until the derailleur can't move any farther than is necessary to make the jump to the middle chainring. Voila!

I don't know what crankset you are running, but just make sure that the bolt pattern matches the bolt pattern on whatever bashguard you buy.

Blackspire C4 RingGod at Price Point

or

MRP Party Crasher Lite Bashguard at Price Point

and

Truvativ Trushift Tungsten Chainring 2010 at Price Point

mtbr member
    Ah, I see from your pictures you are running a Truvativ Crankset. Either of those guards in the above links will work for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I went with the 36 because the front derailleur is somewhat limited in its ability to make larger jumps. Mine works fine with the 22t small and the 36t middle. A larger jump may not work very well. For me, the stock 32t was way to small. I still spin out the 36t, but only very occasionally on a fast fire road or pavement.

The conversion is super easy. Just remove the chainring bolts that hold on the large chainring. Remove the middle chainring and replace with the new middle chainring (or don't replace...). Then slip the bashguard on in place of the large chainring. I had to go to the shop and buy some longer chainring bolts to accommodate the added thickness of the bashguard, but it wasn't a big deal.

Then, you need to tune out the 3rd click on your front derailleur. It's pretty easy if you are familiar with adjusting your own shifting. Just turn the upper limit screw all the way in until the derailleur can't move any farther than is necessary to make the jump to the middle chainring. Voila!

I don't know what crankset you are running, but just make sure that the bolt pattern matches the bolt pattern on whatever bashguard you buy.

Blackspire C4 RingGod at Price Point

or

MRP Party Crasher Lite Bashguard at Price Point

and

Truvativ Trushift Tungsten Chainring 2010 at Price Point
    I'm running a Stylo 3.3 so the trvativ rings will work fine. I take it you get a bash guard the same size as the large ring then?

Another question. Does it make sense to go with a larger small ring? It's such a granny now I wonder if something like a 24t small wouldn't make it a bit more useful?

Thanks for the links that really helps, this could be a very low cost move for me!

mtbr member
    I'm running a Stylo 3.3 so the trvativ rings will work fine. I take it you get a bash guard the same size as the large ring then?

Another question. Does it make sense to go with a larger small ring? It's such a granny now I wonder if something like a 24t small wouldn't make it a bit more useful?

Thanks for the links that really helps, this could be a very low cost move for me!
    If you don't need the tiny small ring, a 24t is a great option. For my northern Utah climbs, especially on a 29er, I find that I struggle sometimes without the 22t. Just a personal preference. The 24t/36t combo on the front would should slightly better too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    First as for gears. I've spend a lot of time at Sheldon Brown's gear page and I think I've decided that I'm going to keep the 11-32 cassette and switch to 24/36/bash upfront. The 24/36 is on the low side of inbetween the current 22/32/44 rings, my granny will be slightly more difficult but still low enough to do what I need and I don't loose a ton of top end for pavement riding to the trails.

Now onto final pics!

Final build componets:

Frame: Sette Razzo 1.0 20" (I'm 6'3", 36" inseam, 240lbs)
    Fork: 2010 Reba 29er
    Headset: CaneCreek 40
    Cockpit: Truvative XR bar and stem, Ergon GC2 grips
    Saddle: WTB Speed V
    Brake Levers: Speed Dial 7
    Brakes: BB7
    Shifters: Front X7, Rear X9
    Derailleurs: Front X7, Rear X9
    Crankset: Stylo 3.3, currently 22/32/44
    Cassette: Sram PG990, 11-32
    Wheels/Tires: Mavic C29ssmax, WTB Nano Raptors using tubes

mtbr member
    First as for gears. I've spend a lot of time at Sheldon Brown's gear page and I think I've decided that I'm going to keep the 11-32 cassette and switch to 24/36/bash upfront. The 24/36 is on the low side of inbetween the current 22/32/44 rings, my granny will be slightly more difficult but still low enough to do what I need and I don't loose a ton of top end for pavement riding to the trails.

I think you will like the 24/36 double.

skaterqwertyuiop
    Build pics for my Razzo 29er.

First I disassembled (No Disassemble #5!) my old 26er, taking basically everything from it less the wheels and fork. Then everything was washed in hot soapy water with most parts getting the old toothbrush scrub.
    JOHNNY 5
    Nice bike btw
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up