Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???

Wanted to start a Derro 2.0 thread to get some pics, ideas, suggestions, general discussion. I know alot of really cool Sette brand bikes are on here and with the Derro 2.0 being fairly new not alot of people have any info on these bikes. So far after talking with plenty of people on various forums I wanted to get this blog going... Please feel free to hit me up either PM or post a comment!!! So far I have had my bike for almost a month and the more miles I have put on her the more impressed I am with this bike, not to mention the heads that turn as I blow past guys on bikes 2X more than I paid and lots of compliments at the end of each ride.

This is my 17" Derro 2.0...

EXTRA'S---I used an old bike tube for a chain stay guard... besides being sturdy I think it looks cool. I also added clear down tube protection from a brand called Shelter, I ended up buying their pre-cut package that provided the downtube protection and some other round patches that protect against cable rub on key spots along with a long strand on the opposite side of the chain stay (since its all aluminum.) Nothing else thus far and I havent put the Shelter brand to the test but I will update the goods and bads of the brand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-2012-03-19-sette-derro-2.0-002-640x427-.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyUSAF; 03-20-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Put em away wet, ride hard!!!

mtbr member

Looks like I'm all alone on this thread

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-2012-03-19-sette-derro-2.0-001-640x427-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I finally got to test out the Shelter down tube protection. It seems to of held up pretty well, and so far it sticks to the frame like a champ, I know I had some loose rocks kick up and no sign off damage to either bike or protection. Let me know if anyone else has used this product?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Are those the stock bars? They look nice and wide. I am looking into the Derro to complement my AM/DH bike. I wanted something that can climb well and still be able to deal with some rougher stuff. I was looking at some other trail bikes but I feel they might be too slack and too decent oriented while the derro seems to be right on. What ya think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus19425 View Post
    Are those the stock bars? They look nice and wide. I am looking into the Derro to complement my AM/DH bike. I wanted something that can climb well and still be able to deal with some rougher stuff. I was looking at some other trail bikes but I feel they might be too slack and too decent oriented while the derro seems to be right on. What ya think?
    Icculus- They are the stock bars, they are the Sette XLR 31.8 Low Rise 660mm Width on a 100mm stem. This bike climbs well for a FS and in the price range this bike hangs with the best of them... I will have to say the cranks are weak but all the other components are a lot better than most bikes in the $2,200 and under range. I went with the Derro 2.0 mainly cause the Fox shock and Fox fork bought seperate cost as much as the whole bike. I will upgrade the stem to a high rise... I dont like leaning so far down (hard on my bike on long rides.) Good luck on finding your new bike, I have been impressed with this bike so far. I got about 100 miles on her now.

Got Trails?
    so how is this bike. I am thinking about buying one in the next few weeks. I cant seem to pull the trigger on a $2k or more bike but this seems to be very solid?
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1 View Post
    so how is this bike. I am thinking about buying one in the next few weeks. I cant seem to pull the trigger on a $2k or more bike but this seems to be very solid?
    So far so good, I honestly love this bike. The last bike I had was a Haro Sonix and so far this bike rides ten times better plus its a good 8 pounds lighter. After about 200 miles on her so far the only thing that I will upgrade soon is the cranks and BB... they are cheap cranks anyways and I knew I would be replacing them around the 6 month mark.

I couldnt convince the wife to let me spend more than I did, and honestly after riding some different higher end bikes on Demo Days I cant seem to find the overall riding difference. The frame is solid so far, and you cant beat the Fox suspension. I get a lot of looks and questions on the Sette name. I have let a few buddies ride the bike and they like it just as much as their high end bikes. Im sure youll want to upgrade some parts like Im going to but to get a good all around XC bike this one is far better than most in its price range.

I hope this helps, I researched bike for over 6 months and kept coming back to this bike! Lets us know if you pick one up.

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyUSAF View Post
    So far so good, I honestly love this bike. The last bike I had was a Haro Sonix and so far this bike rides ten times better plus its a good 8 pounds lighter. After about 200 miles on her so far the only thing that I will upgrade soon is the cranks and BB... they are cheap cranks anyways and I knew I would be replacing them around the 6 month mark.

I couldnt convince the wife to let me spend more than I did, and honestly after riding some different higher end bikes on Demo Days I cant seem to find the overall riding difference. The frame is solid so far, and you cant beat the Fox suspension. I get a lot of looks and questions on the Sette name. I have let a few buddies ride the bike and they like it just as much as their high end bikes. Im sure youll want to upgrade some parts like Im going to but to get a good all around XC bike this one is far better than most in its price range.

I hope this helps, I researched bike for over 6 months and kept coming back to this bike! Lets us know if you pick one up.
    Thanks. I am actually looking at getting the derr 1.0 with all the upgraded components. My only concern is the frame and how it will hold up
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    I'm seriously considering this bike. I've been looking all over for a new FS 26er under 1.5k and this seems to be it. I was also considering a trance X4 for $300 more, but this Derro has better everything (frame is questionable though).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My wife has been on one since November. It is an awsome bike, easy to set up, quality componets, and bullet proof. She LOVES it. There have been no issues so I cant comment on support, but so far we havent needed any.

Unlike many mail order bikes, that skimp on parts that nobody pays attention to, this bike has all quality parts. The bars, seat post, skewers, etc are Sette. I have no idea who makes them but they are substancial, not garbage. The Fox suspension has been wonderful. It is easy to set up. The Mavic wheels are very nice at this price point too. They even have bladed spokes and "fancy" straight pull Mavic hubs. The headset is quality as well. The Avid brakes are Avid brakes.

All parts are equal trim level and this bike is a STEAL. What questions do you have specificaly and I will be happy to answer.

mtbr member
    Just broke 400 miles on my 2.0... since my last post I have been on some pretty hairy 4-6 foot drops and one 10 foot drop that I didnt mean to hit and ate **** pretty bad. I ended up with some pretty bad scratches but the bike held up perfect!!! I did end up switching to a high rise Monkey EA70 handlebar, I like sitting up more compared to the sette flat bar it came with.,, easier on my lower back. I have Easton flatboy flats and in two weeks Ill be upgrading my cranks to Shimano SLX 2 chainring with bashguard set up. The cranks I have that came with the bike have held up great and still no annoying sound coming from them like some reviewers have commented about. I am only upgrading because Ill be racing in the fall and want to lighten the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice review DirtyUSAF! im planning to buy a derro 2.0 as a birthday gift for myself. How's your bike so far? Any problems?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by triglyceride View Post
    Nice review DirtyUSAF! im planning to buy a derro 2.0 as a birthday gift for myself. How's your bike so far? Any problems?
    So far so good, I have really loved this bike! I did replace the cranks on the bike... the 2.0 comes with some really cheap shimano's but I knew that and planned to ride them till they crapped out. They still work but once you wear them in they creak really bad, and if you look up the reviews on MTBR most people have said the same thing. If you can get passed the creaking then I guess their ok but it got old for me so I upgraded to the Shimano SLX M665's. The upgrade is a huge difference, I only ever use the middle ring so I wanted to switch to a two ring crank just in case I need the big ring for racing.

One more thing, I almost forgot... The bushings in the rear suspension on my bike wear cracked. I took my bike in to my bike guy and he did a full strip down of my bike for cleaning and he noticed that almost all the bushings wear cracked. I called PricePoint and they sent me replacements for free. I did upgrade to better bushings but having the OEM bushings that Sette uses is good just in case. The guy at PricePoint was awsome... basically no questions were asked other than "how I was enjoying my bike?" He seemed to think that when the bike was put together at the factory they might have been torqued down to much.

Other than that this bike has been rock solid and is fast... Its def not a DH bike but for guys like me that love to ride tough trails and race this bike has been better then most that cost twice as much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyUSAF View Post
    So far so good, I have really loved this bike! I did replace the cranks on the bike... the 2.0 comes with some really cheap shimano's but I knew that and planned to ride them till they crapped out. They still work but once you wear them in they creak really bad, and if you look up the reviews on MTBR most people have said the same thing. If you can get passed the creaking then I guess their ok but it got old for me so I upgraded to the Shimano SLX M665's. The upgrade is a huge difference, I only ever use the middle ring so I wanted to switch to a two ring crank just in case I need the big ring for racing.

One more thing, I almost forgot... The bushings in the rear suspension on my bike wear cracked. I took my bike in to my bike guy and he did a full strip down of my bike for cleaning and he noticed that almost all the bushings wear cracked. I called PricePoint and they sent me replacements for free. I did upgrade to better bushings but having the OEM bushings that Sette uses is good just in case. The guy at PricePoint was awsome... basically no questions were asked other than "how I was enjoying my bike?" He seemed to think that when the bike was put together at the factory they might have been torqued down to much.

Other than that this bike has been rock solid and is fast... Its def not a DH bike but for guys like me that love to ride tough trails and race this bike has been better then most that cost twice as much!
    That's good to know! Probably id upgrade my cranks too while trying to assemble it. Ill just wait for a good sale. LOL! Any weight saving from your upgrade?

Your bushings are cracked?! Probably its cracked from the start. and yeah most likely from over torquing. How's your bearings though?

And do you happen to know where these bikes are made? I'm really excited to get my bike right away. Ill post pics as soon as I get them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by triglyceride View Post
    That's good to know! Probably id upgrade my cranks too while trying to assemble it. Ill just wait for a good sale. LOL! Any weight saving from your upgrade?

Your bushings are cracked?! Probably its cracked from the start. and yeah most likely from over torquing. How's your bearings though?

And do you happen to know where these bikes are made? I'm really excited to get my bike right away. Ill post pics as soon as I get them.
    I have the medium frame and right now my bike is just under 25lbs. Im not to concerned with making my bike lighter Im more concerned with good working components. I think the bikes are made in Thailand? If you go to Sette actual website it should have that info on there. If not i'll look at my bikes paperwork and see what it says after i get off of work. Im excited for you lets us know when u get the bike and keep us updated on your build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My derro 2.0 i have had it for about month and a half and have about 200 miles on it its my first fs bike so i cant compare it to any others but i really like it no complaints for the price. I am 6'2 and got the xl frame pics are from bone collector trail in rapid city sd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-img_0445.jpg  

Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-img_0444.jpg  

Last edited by rusty_jacob; 08-01-2012 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

... and if we just ...

Finally! I got my bike! I'm happy how well they packaged the bike. Box is double walled bubble wrapped, cardboard+foam wrapped tubes, ziptied every thing.
    I have not fully assembled it yet because to keep the 5 yrs warranty I needed a pro bike shop to build it. It came 95% built. I'll have it assembled today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-img_0353.jpg  

Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-img_0355.jpg  

Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-img_0356.jpg  

Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-img_0357.jpg  

Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-img_0358.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

... and if we just ...

Fully assembled!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-download.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???-download.jpg  

Last edited by triglyceride; 08-23-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Fix picture

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get any miles on it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrace82 View Post
    Get any miles on it?
    Yeah, about 20miles as of now. I just got my shock pump from the mail yesterday. So its still in the Break-in phase. Loving it so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just wanted to know if anyone who owns a Sette Derro has also ridden a Trek Fuel Ex model. I test rode an EX8 last weekend, and it was awesome...but the $2000+ price tag wasn't so awesome, and the Sette Derro appears to be lighter. Anyway, just trying to get an idea of how the Sette might compare to a Trek Fuel in terms of ride and handling. Also, does the rear shock on the Fuel make it feel as if you are riding a hard tail, or does it absorb lots of bumps? Do you feel less "beat up" after riding it, compared to a hardtail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Just wanted to know if anyone who owns a Sette Derro has also ridden a Trek Fuel Ex model. I test rode an EX8 last weekend, and it was awesome...but the $2000+ price tag wasn't so awesome, and the Sette Derro appears to be lighter. Anyway, just trying to get an idea of how the Sette might compare to a Trek Fuel in terms of ride and handling. Also, does the rear shock on the Fuel make it feel as if you are riding a hard tail, or does it absorb lots of bumps? Do you feel less "beat up" after riding it, compared to a hardtail?
    I wish I could help you out in terms of comparison to the Trek Fuel. There are a lot of things you left out... what kind of trails you plan on riding? How much are you looking to spend? What do you consider a good bike?

It really comes down to your personal preference. I know that you wont be able to ride a Derro unless you know somone that has one. To be honest with you I have rode tons of MTB's from 26 to 29ers and I always go back to riding my 26 derro. I did do some upgrades to my bike to make it better for me. I added new HBars and seat post and saddle plus i upgraded my crankset, and to be honest with you the only thing about the Derro I didnt like is the crankset it came with. I have about 700 miles on my derro and i have beat the crap out of it and keeps ticking right along. If you are willing to spend the 2000 I would buy the Derro 1.0 but if front suspension travel is an issue for you, you might want to go with the Trek because I do believe the front FOX fork offers more travel than the Sette bikes do. Hope this helps you out! Let me know if you have any detailed questions, I think for the amount of riding I have done on the Derro 2.0 I can answer most questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm looking at the Derro frame as my first FS bike. On price port they only offer the 1.0 as a frameset option. What's the major differences, if any between the 1.0 and 2.0?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swcreates View Post
    I'm looking at the Derro frame as my first FS bike. On price port they only offer the 1.0 as a frameset option. What's the major differences, if any between the 1.0 and 2.0?
    There is nothing different but the color. Everything is the same as far as the frame goes. If you buy the bikes built up the 1.0 comes with a better parts lineup. I bought the 2.0 fully built but since have added new handlebars, stem, cranks, and seatpost. Ill take some pics when I get my brand new cranks put on the bike in a week or so and post them up. I think the only thing you really need to consider is the white or black?!? Personally I like the black but was limited of funds at the time of my buy. I will be getting my bike custom painted in a few months to a Santa Cruz matte black color.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast