• 11-25-2012
    mikeridesabike
    Sette vs. Name Brand 29ers
    Thinking of getting a hard tail 29er frame or possibly complete bike. I know that this can be debated for hours and hours, but is there much difference between a Sette, which is going for $200 currently at PP, and a well-known brand such as a Santa Cruz High Ball ($750) or a Niner? Hopefully, the SC or Niner would have better quality control in the manufacturing process and better dealer support, but is there that much difference in the actual frame? I have never purchased a full bike on-line before, but the Sette with the SLX build for $1,100 looks like a really nice package.
  • 11-25-2012
    JMac47
    1 Attachment(s)
    Get it
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Thinking of getting a hard tail 29er frame or possibly complete bike. I know that this can be debated for hours and hours, but is there much difference between a Sette, which is going for $200 currently at PP, and a well-known brand such as a Santa Cruz High Ball ($750) or a Niner? Hopefully, the SC or Niner would have better quality control in the manufacturing process and better dealer support, but is there that much difference in the actual frame? I have never purchased a full bike on-line before, but the Sette with the SLX build for $1,100 looks like a really nice package.

    Frame or complete. Upgrade later.
  • 11-25-2012
    agb65
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Thinking of getting a hard tail 29er frame or possibly complete bike. I know that this can be debated for hours and hours, but is there much difference between a Sette, which is going for $200 currently at PP, and a well-known brand such as a Santa Cruz High Ball ($750) or a Niner? Hopefully, the SC or Niner would have better quality control in the manufacturing process and better dealer support, but is there that much difference in the actual frame? I have never purchased a full bike on-line before, but the Sette with the SLX build for $1,100 looks like a really nice package.

    you must be looking at the same deal I'm looking at. Have been going back and forth between that and an airborne goblin. you're right $1100 is tough to beat for the build. the only slight negatives I have seen are:1) tire clearance not great for big tires in rear, and 2) some comments on frame flex, which I have a tough time worrying about since I am 160lbs and *just not that strong*. any sette owners want to chime in? is your sette aluminum all you ever wanted and more?
  • 11-27-2012
    calboy
    Yes the alum. razzo is a great frame. I raced the entire season on one and I can say that its the most fun riding frame Ive owned. :thumbsup:
  • 11-27-2012
    agb65
    cool.
    pulled the trigger on one yesterday. looking forward to it. I'm replacing a 12 year old entry level Raleigh - so I'm sure it will feel like riding on a magic carpet.
  • 11-28-2012
    JMac47
    More cush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by agb65 View Post
    cool.
    pulled the trigger on one yesterday. looking forward to it. I'm replacing a 12 year old entry level Raleigh - so I'm sure it will feel like riding on a magic carpet.

    Go 2.2ish tyres setup with a tubeless kit, compliant post and bars and you will definitely be on a magic capet ride.:thumbsup:
  • 11-30-2012
    DirtyUSAF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Frame or complete. Upgrade later.

    Nice bike bro! How do you like the ride? I am seriously thinking of getting one! I want a 29er and since I have a Derro 26" I really want both bikes just to mix it up.
  • 12-01-2012
    JMac47
    It's great
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DirtyUSAF View Post
    Nice bike bro! How do you like the ride? I am seriously thinking of getting one! I want a 29er and since I have a Derro 26" I really want both bikes just to mix it up.

    You really can't go wrong with the price of the Razzo. So the Razzo is SS now but I'm contemplating running it 1x9 soon (have parts) for longer mixed terrain condition rides, and switching my older HT back over as the SS for winter. I may even pick up one of the Reken frames after the 1st to put the 650B wheels and parts from the older ht on it to use in Spring.

    I ride a mix of 26, 650B & 29r. I almost got one of the Derro frames this Spring to build up as 26/650B frt XC bike but already have a KHS XCT 555 that has more travel (140mm) and a lighter frame/build weight.
  • 12-10-2012
    benoksanen
    My $.02. I've ridden the Razzo 2.0 for the season (probably about 70 rides in rocky New England) and love it - wouldn't even touch my 09 spec enduro any more, so I sold it. Though aluminum, more compliant than my buddy's Civilian Young Turk (steel) and GT Peace 9r. I'm 5'10", the 18 inch = perfect fit. The only issue - chain stay clearance not great. A Kenda Nevegal 2.2 rubs under hard effort - I had to grind the outside knobs off.

    I'd bet the goblin is nice, but the Razzo rocks and no need to look further. 29er hardtail = awesomeness. No regrets here.