mtbr member

Sette Sierra 4 Bike Hitch Mount Rack ??

I've got a 2002 Pathfinder that I'm about to get a hitch put on and I'm thinking this is the rack I want to get for the hitch. My wife has a Diamondback Comfort bike (Wildwood Citi) and this rack looks like it would better hold it. The other bikes going on it would be a flat bar roady and a couple of Mtn Bikes. What 's the general consensus on this rack??

Thanks,
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I doubt you are going to get much advice on this rack. It seems to be available only through one online retailer at this point. I am considering the rack myself. At its price, it seems like it would be a good value. From the pictures I have seen, the 4-bike version looks like a 2-bike with an additional 2-bike add-on. I haven't seen a review for the 4-bike, but there are a couple of posts at

The only reviews I have seen are for the two-bike version. The reviews are located at
    mtnbikeriders.com. The first link below is a "first impressions" review. The second mentions that the wheels and tires could get heated by a rear facing exhaust pipe and potentially cause damage. If your vehicle directs exhaust to the side there should not be a problem. The third seems to be their final review. One point is that one of the "wheel trays" went missing while not being used to carry a bike - either by vibration or theft.

First Impression Review: http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/03/16/first-impressions-sette-sierra-2-bike-hitch-mount-rack/

Second Look Review: http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/04/09/sette-sierra-2-bike-hitch-mount-rack-update/

Final Review: http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/04/21/sette-sierra-2-hitch-mount-rack-review/

From the pictures posted, it doesn't seem like a terribly high quality rack. It seems to have quite a few scratches for a months use. I may be too picky, though; It may have seen a lot of use. I noticed the wheels don't seem to fit a long way into the trays. Similar racks from Hollywood and X-Port seem to have wheel trays that are angled to cover more of the tire and wheel, but those racks are considerable more expensive.

I will probably buy this rack given its price and the fact that I will not be transporting my bikes for long distances very often. The convenience of not having to remove a wheel like we do with our current rack system for our truck bed seems to be convenient. We have one bike that has a women's frame and a child's bike that does not have a quick-release wheel. Both of those bikes are harder to fit on other traditional hitch-mount racks like arm-mount systems. This particular rack would seem to give us a better way to transport our youngest daughter's bike. We currently just toss it in the bed of the truck beside our other three on the rack. It would also solve the problem of having to buy and use a frame adapter for the women's frame bike for arm-type hitch mount racks. This rack will also allow us to take all four bikes using the hitch receiver on our Suburban. We currently have to take the pickup and a car since four people can't fit in the cab of our truck. If we get this rack, I will definitely make sure the wheels are secured to the trays with small bungee and that the top hook is secured firmly. Let me know if you get it and how you like it.

Regards,
    Oakhill Horn

mtbr member
    I just order one of these, it should be on this week. I'll post an update and review after use. $150 ain't that bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went ahead and took the plunge, as well. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday. I am not sure if I will get to put it to use for a few days though. I will look forward to your review and I will try to post up something too.

mtbr member
    Should be there when i get home in the morning.

mtbr member
    I'm considering getting one of these as well, so please let us know how you like them! Also, I'm wondering if you would be able to use an aftermarket hitch-lock to secure the rack to your hitch...?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    anyone know if it folds out of the way? im considering it for my cherokee but want to know if I can fold it away or do I need to remove it to have access to my rear gate?

mtbr member
    I got the rack about 4 days ago, but i've been working like crazy so i haven't had a chance to really use it. I used it once to go across town and it seemed to work well and was with only one bikeon the rack. I do have a couple issues though. One issue has to do more with shipping, when i opened the box i found one of the knobs (the plasic part) to be 2/3 broken into pieces. I emailed PricePoint and they said they would be sending me another knob. Like i said, that was probably a shipping issue, but than again that may indicate other things might break as easily. Another issue, which is a little bigger, is when i was tightening the racks keeper bolts, for lack of a better term, i broke a tack-weld on the nut that was welded to the rack. I dont think that i over tightened the bolts, but i was in a little hurry so....? The two bolts are on bottom of rack which slides over the receiver mounted square tubing,... just look at the picture. I used a picture of the 2 bike rack because that showed the bolts better. I wont send the rack back, i'll just take it to someone to weld for me and get them to add a couple of more welds just to be safe. That'll only cost $5-10 to do. I will send an email to Sette about this issue. Got to get back to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twholland
    I got the rack about 4 days ago....
    Hey thanks for the report - I'd really like to know: Does it look possible to replace the hitch-pin (or whatever is holding the rack onto your car's receiver) with a hitch-lock type pin? Seems like it should be, but on the site they mention some type of anti-sway device, which could be a weird proprietary mechanism or something...

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    A hitch lock seems like it should work fine. i plan on getting one myself. The anti-sway device should not interfere with it either, i didn't with mine.

The rack does not swing out, so getting to a hatch may be a bit of a challenge if you have all four bikes loaded. If you only plan on normally using it for 1-2 bikes, than you should be fine.
    Last edited by twholland; 04-30-2007 at 02:48 AM.

mtbr member
    I bought two hitch locks and they work fine. I put one on the hitch and the other on the pin for the second rack (so someone can't just pull the pin and slide off the racks). And i also bought a cable and lock to go through all four bike frames and wheels. You can never be too safe with thousands of dollars worth of bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This car rack is a piece of garbage, do not waste your money on it. I have had my bike fall out of the rack twice. I have had it rub through the foam upper cover and through my powdercoating. It is junk and is not suitable to hold expensive mountain bikes.

ballbuster

hmmmrrrr???

Quote Originally Posted by 02sedona
    This car rack is a piece of garbage, do not waste your money on it. I have had my bike fall out of the rack twice. I have had it rub through the foam upper cover and through my powdercoating. It is junk and is not suitable to hold expensive mountain bikes.
    How did your bike fall out of the rack? What part failed? The top hooks slip or something? ... or the base? It seems impossible to me that a bike can fall out of a rack if you are using it properly, but it happens I guess. I would be more worried about fork mount roof trays, methinks.

Judging by the pics, it doesn;t seem like the best built thing in the world, but it doesn't look like it can drop a bike unless something outright broke off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 02sedona
    Yeah, I passed on it because of the frame mount, and got a Thule T2 instead, which doesn't touch the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The lower wheel trays are very weak and will not hold 35-40 pound freeride/dh bikes. I shuttle most of my rides with 3-4 people and we have to use dirt roads for a portion of the shuttle. The wheel trays did not keep my bike on the rack with the extra movement from bumpy roads. The trays will bend very easily by hand, just imagine what a bike on the back of a car can do. (remember sitting in the back of a school bus?)

I have replaced the factory wheel trays. Using wood on each side for a platform. The bikes wheels to rest in custom trays that now effectively hold them in place.

It does also not have any rise built into the receiver attachment so it may bottom out fairly easy if you do not have a higher ground clearance vehicle. I notice this coming out or parking lots and driveways with my 4x4 suv. The anti-sway device they provide is a joke. it does little to keep the rack from moving. They should have just welded a nut inside to thread into. I also broke a bolt underneath the rack, like the poster above did in the picture. I believe this rack is a waste of money for people who have serious money into their bike and don't want their friends bike to fall off their bike rack.

ballbuster

Whoa!

I didn't see that the rack had no rise. I have a Perofrmance Bike X-Port Flatbed I've been happy with. At first glance, this looks pretty similar, although a bit more flimsy. The X-Port rack has a rise, and even with that rise I;ve scraped it once or twice while on the back of my VW GTi. I wonder if that isn;t the problem. Maybe the wheels are contacting the ground and causing the bike to sqirt out. I also have to wonder if the FR bike's extra suspension isn't making the problem worse. My biggest travel bike is only 90mm. If you stick a bike in there with 6" how far can the suspension move and allow it to come unhooked if something hits the wheels from clearence issues.

My rack feels plenty sturdy for carrying weight of a bigger bike (its rated to 100 lbs, IIRC), but maybe the top tube hook needs some kind of extra safety strap or something. My rack has velcro wheel straps to keep them in the rings, but nothing at the hook. I usually keep them locked with a fat cable and U-lock to the frame of the car.

mtbr member
    Hmm, the wheel trays on the very similar Sportrack version appear to be a little stronger. And the receiver attachment has a rise to it.

I just bought this rack for $150 CAD on sale at Canadian Tire...now I just need to get a hitch installed on my car.