mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sette Reken build

Hi i am building up a 14" Reken for my 9 yr old son , frame should be here today. any tips or things i should know,I am trying to build this up for my 9 yr old son . He has been riding trails with me for 4 years and does very well he is riding a 24" trek , Many companies are not making 26" wheeled bike or if they are its very low end spec so i want to build him something decent with a 80 mm to 100 mm air fork, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Abby Normal
    Assuming he is big enough for a 14" frame then go for it. I built one up this summer for my 12yo nephew (who is pretty small for his age). He had also been riding a used 24" Trek (which was a tank) and after seeing that he has a real aptitude / passion for mountain biking I decided to set him up with a 'real' bike. Most of the parts for the build came off my wife's bike.

Sette Reken build-sette_reken2.jpg

• 14" Sette Reken Frame
    • Fox 32 F100 RL fork
    • Avid BB7 brakes / levers
    • Salsa Moto Ace bars / Sette grips
    • Sram X.7 2x10 drivetrain
    • DMR V8 pedals
    • Ritchey Comp headset and seatpost
    • WTB Rocket V saddle
    • Mavic XC717 rims / XT hubs
    • Kenda Nevegal tires

I'm actually quite impressed with the frame, it looks great and is reasonably light (and the price is nice). Stand over is marginal (for now) but he is doing great on it, and hopefully won't outgrow it anytime soon. Once does I can always sell the frame and buy the next size up (as cheap as they are).

After a few rides he wanted to try going clipless, so I put some cheap Shimano M520 pedals on it and let him use my wife's shoes. I made him ride around town a few times (and get past his first dozen or so low speed drops), he's now gotten the hang of it and is ripping on the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    Assuming he is big enough for a 14" frame then go for it. I built one up this summer for my 12yo nephew (who is pretty small for his age). He had also been riding a used 24" Trek (which was a tank) and after seeing that he has a real aptitude / passion for mountain biking I decided to set him up with a 'real' bike. Most of the parts for the build came off my wife's bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sette_reken2.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	838462

• 14" Sette Reken Frame
    • Fox 32 F100 RL fork
    • Avid BB7 brakes / levers
    • Salsa Moto Ace bars / Sette grips
    • Sram X.7 2x10 drivetrain
    • DMR V8 pedals
    • Ritchey Comp headset and seatpost
    • WTB Rocket V saddle
    • Mavic XC717 rims / XT hubs
    • Kenda Nevegal tires

I'm actually quite impressed with the frame, it looks great and is reasonably light (and the price is nice). Stand over is marginal (for now) but he is doing great on it, and hopefully won't outgrow it anytime soon. Once does I can always sell the frame and buy the next size up (as cheap as they are).

After a few rides he wanted to try going clipless, so I put some cheap Shimano M520 pedals on it and let him use my wife's shoes. I made him ride around town a few times (and get past his first dozen or so low speed drops), he's now gotten the hang of it and is ripping on the trails.
    Thanks So much for the info. My son is tall for his age . I will not sell his trek until he is good to go on the Reken I received the frame yesterday very impressed for the price. i am pecking away on parts off of ebay . I have the wheel set off my Giant trance. and some other odds and ends. I do not want any junk parts on the bike . he is doing trails as long as 18 miles with me and loves it so . I built him a work stand and we go down to my barn and clean and work on our bikes together so i figured this would be a good project over the winter to build his bike .

Abby Normal
    I am sure your son will have a blast on it, and it will be a good learning experience for him to help you build it up. I am hunting around for a good deal on some nice tubeless wheels, that's probably the only thing I would change on my nephew's bike at this point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Sette Reken build

Doing some finishing touches. It is coming together nicely. This is a lot more bike than if I were to buy a complete bike. I think Christmas morning will be sweet.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sette Reken build-uploadfromtaptalk1387725415303.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Sette Reken build

happy to report my son loves his reken he Is9 and it fits him well already hopping the wheels of the ground

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sette Reken build-uploadfromtaptalk1388065527069.jpg  

Abby Normal
    Awesome, looks like it fits him perfectly. Hope you both get a lot of enjoyable miles out of it. My nephew has been riding his for the last couple of months and loves it. He's been able to clear some fairly rocky / technical climbs that really impressed me, and it took him all of two rides to master using clipless pedals. It's a bit of a bummer that the Sette brand is going away, I'm glad I was able to pick up the small frame while they were still available.

Sette Reken build-trace_picture_rock2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Same here I saw the writing on the wall getting hard to find 26 " bikes at all. I think I will wait on the clipless pedals for awhile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    performancebike has a nice frame too.
    Access XCL Comp Mountain Bike Frame - Mountain Bike Frames

comes in a 29er red frame as well...but both are phasing out I think.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld