Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    That's what I'm talking about. So the dude who bought a Porsche got ripped off because there's a Corvette available for half off? What about things like craftsmanship or design?

If somebody with money sneers at the budget bikes people call them a snob. What do you call someone who finds it important to point how stupid everyone is for not pinching pennies? Not everyone's priorities are the same nor are their budgets. I'm pretty sure the guy who bought a $3000 bike didn't do so with their last penny. And if they did I applaud them for being hardcore and getting exactly what they wanted even if it gets plopped on a $300 Hyundai to drive to the trails!

I'm not going to argue with anyone about who is or isn't a "real" biker. This kind of nonsense happens with every recreational pursuit I involve myself with. What I will say is anyone who is concerned about how much or how little they spent is missing the point.

And no, you can't take all that money you saved with you when you die!

That's taken out of context. Seriously, which would you buy if there's a ferrari and a hyundai and $$$ isn't a problem? Obviously, the ferrari. You need pay so much more for the technology, status and design because it's unique. I'm not saying you don't pay top dollar for it's worth. Heck.. I'll pay $10k for a bike if it's worth it. But if you compare side to side with bikes, it's pretty simple... they use almost the same components out there, their design are more or less the same and I wouldn't be surprised if they were all from the same factory in Taiwan. Unless one that has a really good design, rigidity and ultralite... really out of the norm, yes.. top $$$ for it. Truly agree, I can't take all that I saved when I die but I can sure put it to good use.

Spend where it's worth it not blindly paying Besides this thread is about Razzo so I'm not going to go out of line

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Why should I or anyone else take advice from someone who believes it is adequate to use just a back brake. When you apply a brake, front or rear about 75% of your weight transfers onto the front wheel. All you are going to do is skid your back wheel and rip up the trail, not to mention the lack of control using just a rear brake.

It is obvious that you know very little about biking.

Ronnie.
    You don't have to take my advice. Everyone develops their own style, mine's that way. I can't say it'll fit you. I won't say rear braking lacks control, it's just when and how you use it. I do XC so it doesn't really matter that much whether it's front or rear. Even in DH, front is seldomly use anyway, I don't even use front during wheelies. Braking is an art by itself and seriously it's quite subjective on the usage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyglass
    You don't have to take my advice. Everyone develops their own style, mine's that way. I can't say it'll fit you. I won't say rear braking lacks control, it's just when and how you use it. I do XC so it doesn't really matter that much whether it's front or rear. Even in DH, front is seldomly use anyway, I don't even use front during wheelies. Braking is an art by itself and seriously it's quite subjective on the usage.
    I think you will find an almost complete consensus on this forum about how much more useful front brakes are. Physics aren't that subjective, and there will be people ready to jump with lots of info

I'm not even sure you could brake strong enough for DH using just the rear brake. There's a reason they are all using 8" front rotors

mtbr member
    Even in DH, front is seldomly use anyway, I don't even use front during wheelies. Braking is an art by itself and seriously it's quite subjective on the usage.
    You are not really serious! Then why do most DH bikes have 203mm. rotors on the front wheel. Some DH forks will only take an 8" rotor.

Why would you be using your front brake when you are on your back wheel?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I think you will find an almost complete consensus on this forum about how much more useful front brakes are. Physics aren't that subjective, and there will be people ready to jump with lots of info

I'm not even sure you could brake strong enough for DH using just the rear brake. There's a reason they are all using 8" front rotors
    Well... if it's DH, then it's a must to equip both brakes. Anyway, basically it's just my personal riding flair to be on rear. Besides braking really is subjective and it's really on how much you feel about rides. Let's drop the brake topic as it's really not going to go anywhere since everyone differs. Some like this some don't.. why not just stay in line with the thread subject.

So what's your razzo build?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    You are not really serious! Then why do most DH bikes have 203mm. rotors on the front wheel. Some DH forks will only take an 8" rotor.

Why would you be using your front brake when you are on your back wheel?

Ronnie.
    Well, it really depends on the trails. You do need to equip differently, besides I somehow sense you are quite critical of my riding style. Basically, I ride differently from you and our terrains we cycle are different. I can't say for sure that if I do your trails I'll go without front but nevertheless, you might find my trails useless for front. It really is different for each terrain. Besides I don't do DH now, more of a leisure XC rider.

Former Bike Wrench
    Has anybody bothered to read this guys profile?

He's just Fcuking with you...there is no way he can be serious, no one is that off center

Sorry dude but your full of sh!t...I'll believe it when I see it, until then I'm calling you out as a phony

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I'll be a saint here and disclose my components though I haven't done building completely yet (Too much work!!!). I will tell you how you can build a good and cheap sub 8kg 29er (excl. tires) and where to save and get these. I use SRAM X.9 because Shimano is heavier and I don't like the motion of their rear derailluer. It's really up to you.

1) Buy a Sette Razzo from Pricepoint ard $200 now (Offer ends this march)
    2) Get yourself a build kit, SRAM X.9 from greenfishsports that'll cost you ard $250
    3) Get a carbon cycle fork from Carboncycle themselves for ard $165 (Personally I'm using the WB rigid carbon fork from treeforbikes ard $270 but I'll suggest you go with Jerry's fork)
    4) Get a crank bros egg beater SL from treeforbikes for ard $75
    5) Get yourself Sette cockpit 1 combo from Pricepoint for ard $85
    6) Get Maddux explorer T2 wheelset from Pricepoint for ard $170 (ard 2kg a pair!)
    7) Get a good rear disc brake BB7 from Greenfishsports for $38
    8) Get speed dial 7 from Greenfishsports for ard $16
    9) Get super lite foam grips for ard $5 from Pricepoint
    10) I pampered myself with a Sette air suspension seatpost from Pricepoint ard $35.
    11) Pay someone to build all these for you for ard $100 or you can be like me and build it slowly like lego. I love my childhood... kekeke

Cheers...

Well, I may be a front brake kinda guy, but I sure found your parts list w/ sources to be *very* helpful. Does anyone do anything similar w/ Shimano kits at a similar price?

Thanks for taking the time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    Well, I may be a front brake kinda guy, but I sure found your parts list w/ sources to be *very* helpful. Does anyone do anything similar w/ Shimano kits at a similar price?

Thanks for taking the time!
    Well... depends on your shimano build? U like SLX, XT or XTR build kits? I personally recommend the SLX and XT mix (Mechs on XT, Cranks on SLX). You can actually skip the XTR since it's not bang for buck. Entire SLX set (incl. of SLX disc brakes but excl. hubs) should be around US $655.

ballbuster

Mmmmyeahhh...

I use SRAM X.9 because Shimano is heavier and I don't like the motion of their rear derailluer. It's really up to you.
    I'm pretty sure that SRAM stuff is generally heavier than Shimano stuff... not by a lot, usually like 10-20g per piece. Feel.... matter of opinion. All SRAM bikes I have ridden feel heavy and clunky in action. I can see why folks prefer SRAM, tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I'm pretty sure that SRAM stuff is generally heavier than Shimano stuff... not by a lot, usually like 10-20g per piece. Feel.... matter of opinion. All SRAM bikes I have ridden feel heavy and clunky in action. I can see why folks prefer SRAM, tho.
    Nah.... Shimano is heavier for their mechs but I can't say which is better than which. To me it's a matter of preference. Shimano cranks and rapid rise are good though, and their stuff looks way cooler than SRAM. To be frank, if I were given to choose when $$$ isn't an issue... I will go with Shimano without thoughts... I am shallow... I love the bling look of that X. Wahaha...

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My Razzo

I like front and rear brakes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    asa any more pics of that thing?... realy diggin it
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nice bike, your number is cool too.

mtbr member
    So does anybody else have a ride report on the frame?

I'm really considering buying this frame, but I just can't find many reviews online, and a lot of people that I've talked say to go with a more well known brand.

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just raced mine at Sea Otter. The bike was perfect. No issues. It built up with no problems at all. The frame was straight, the threads were clean and the ride is amazing. It handles a bit quicker than the Felt that I demoed, and actually feels more like my 26" bikes as far as steering, but the stability blows the 26's away. I am 5'9" and weigh 140, so I cannot say how durable it would be under a larger rider, but for me, the frame is perfect, also, mine is built up as a Single Speed, so I can't say how it works with gears. The only issue that may bug some people is that there is not a lot of clearance for big rear tires, but I didn't notice til I got into some sticky mud that rubbed the frame a bit. Other than that, if you are on a tight budget and still want something light and fast, the Razzo is the way to go.

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Action shot

In action at Prairie City.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Spoke to some guys from Sette this past weekend at Sea Otter and I asked about the Razzo. They said the Razzo is the number 1 selling Sette frame. The sales have been so good they're designing a 26" Razzo. I suggested a carbon version... they said it's in the works but a couple of years out. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeryang
    Spoke to some guys from Sette this past weekend at Sea Otter and I asked about the Razzo. They said the Razzo is the number 1 selling Sette frame. The sales have been so good they're designing a 26" Razzo. I suggested a carbon version... they said it's in the works but a couple of years out. Just thought I'd pass the info along.
    Thanks for the info. I'm temted to buy one, if I can get enough positive comments from some folks on how durable it will be for a 300 pound Clydesdale.(...maybe down to 260 with some hard work...) I might be temted to ride it at 300 though. That's like asking an elephant to dance in a pair of ballet shoes. ...But maybe it's that strong...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just bought a Razzo frame about a week ago and started to build up yesterday. So far, I have the bottom bracket and cranks put on, I have the rear juicy 7 ready to go. I will be picking up my Croxxmax wheelset tomorrow, the Reba fork on Wednesday, and my x-9 rear der. and shifter on Friday. I should be ready to go by middle of next week. I really enjoy the polished look of the Razzo and can't wait to ride it!

p.s. How you pronounce Sette? Is it "set-tay" or is it "set"?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i prob pronounce it wrong but i say "set" like setting the table...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    what's the maximum tire clearance on the frame?

The White Jeff W
    I read it as set-tee
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I used the Microsoft speech app and it pronounces it as "Set".

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bgraves28
    p.s. How you pronounce Sette? Is it "set-tay" or is it "set"?

From some on-line Italian pronunciation guide:

"sette is pronounced like set-teh"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast