Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 272
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    93
    This is what mine look like:




    linky to the rest of the frame pictures.

    Built it up as a SS with parts bin stuff.



    Build pictures here.

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm
    Not super crazy bout that chrome paint though....which means this could also double as my introduction into frame painting.
    This frame is polished aluminum not paint. I wouldn't like chrome paint either. Just got mine as well, this frame is sick light!

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    372
    Those that own the Sette, how tall are you and what size frame did you pick?

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14
    I'm 5"10" and got the 18" frame. I just got it built and will posts some pics. The complete bike came out really nice.

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    372
    Awesome thanks!!!

    I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, I guess I'd go with the 20"/large.

    Looking forward to seeing the pics, what fork did you use?

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by helexia23
    Awesome thanks!!!

    I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, I guess I'd go with the 20"/large.

    Looking forward to seeing the pics, what fork did you use?
    That's probably a safe bet, and even safer if your current bike has a similar ETT (24.4")

    But, 6' with a 34" inseam means you have a slightly longish legs and therefore a shorter torso. If you also have shorter arms then you might feel a bit stretched out, but that also depends on your preference for position. Just trying to point out the possible variables.

    I myself am 6' .5" with a 34" inseam and I ride an Inbred with a 24.4" ETT. After testing lots of cockpit setups I settled on 2 options that work well: 110mm stem with a 17deg Salsa bar and a 75mm stem with a riser bar. Both have a similar reach. Hope that helps

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14
    Here's my finished product. I used the Reba SL fork. It weighs 24lbs with mostly X7 and Stylo cranks and Mavic TN719 wheelset.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    Thanks for great info on this frame guys. I can't wait to hear some riding evals.
    Anyone check accuracy of the frame weight ? 3.25 for a medium from the website.
    I'm gunna pickup on this deal. Now if I can find some moots bolt on canti brake hangers.
    Btw, I really like the idea of the 5 year warranty Sette is offering on their products.
    Beats the heck out of Voodoo and many other 3 year warranty. Also, they responded quickly and nicely to my emails. Some of the more reasonably price frame manufacturers aren't nearly so expedient.
    Last edited by ghawk; 03-02-2009 at 06:33 AM.

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    I wonder if you can remove the logo and graphics of the frame?

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14
    This bike is legit, I've ridden it a lot since I posted the last pic. Very fast and agile for a 29er. The frame weight is accurate too, so with enough cash it can rival anything out there right now.

  11. #86
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,160
    If they made a steel version I might have been interested.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

  12. #87
    asa
    asa is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    523
    Howdy! I just ordered one of these. Any build issues? Everyone still happy with theirs? And, do the decals come off?

  13. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    93

    Feb. 28, Sycamore Canyon Trail, Riverside, CA

    I've had a few rides on mine as a rigid SS. It's very nice and light... I likey! I think my build was 22 lbs without using light parts other than the 200 gram saddle and the carbon fork. Wheelset are WTB Laserdiscs with formula hubs and tires are worn out Rampage/Ignitor. SS kit was from Performance (good bang for the buck by the way).

    No build problems.

    Decals do not come off, I've checked.

  14. #89
    asa
    asa is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    523
    Thanks! I should be getting mine monday. I am going for a LIGHT build. I will post pics when it is done.

  15. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrider
    This bike is legit, I've ridden it a lot since I posted the last pic. Very fast and agile for a 29er. The frame weight is accurate too, so with enough cash it can rival anything out there right now.
    Wanted to know about front derailluer of your build. Are you using a high clamp dual pull X.7?

  16. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14
    I used an X.7 Low clamp Dual pull. It appeared that a high clamp might interfere with the lower bottle cage mount. So far the bike rides great and there were no build issues.

  17. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by jeryang

    Feb. 28, Sycamore Canyon Trail, Riverside, CA

    I've had a few rides on mine as a rigid SS. It's very nice and light... I likey! I think my build was 22 lbs without using light parts other than the 200 gram saddle and the carbon fork. Wheelset are WTB Laserdiscs with formula hubs and tires are worn out Rampage/Ignitor. SS kit was from Performance (good bang for the buck by the way).

    No build problems.

    Decals do not come off, I've checked.
    Read your excellent review on the carboncycle carbon fork.. I've should have read it earlier before buying WB carbon fork. I could have saved another $100 odd... bummers.

  18. #93
    Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Reputation: donalson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,369
    anyone got a pic of the 20" frame yet?

    *edit*
    jeryang is yours a 20"?
    Last edited by donalson; 03-26-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

  19. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    789
    Decent frame for the money. I applaud them for keeping it light-ish AND for somebody actually publishing the weight!

    My question is how come peeps are always trying to compare this cheaper stuff to more expensive brands? Is it for the "look at me I got the same thing and paid less than you" aspect? And then they get all huffy (hey I made a bike pun!) when folks make fun of their comparisons to higher end hardware...

    I'm happy that 29ers are finally becoming a "bargain basement" item. The boutique stuff is sure nice for the connoisseurs, but we need the lower level market to keep the bike biz in business!

  20. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by spyglass
    Read your excellent review on the carboncycle carbon fork.. I've should have read it earlier before buying WB carbon fork. I could have saved another $100 odd... bummers.
    Thanks. I'm still using it. Going back and forth between FS and Rigid is a shock to the body, but I love climbing with the CC fork. Descending... takes some getting used to.


    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    anyone got a pic of the 20" frame yet?

    *edit*
    jeryang is yours a 20"?
    Yes, 20" I've got a 110mm stem, which I think I might swap to a 100. Otherwise, the fit is good.

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    Decent frame for the money. I applaud them for keeping it light-ish AND for somebody actually publishing the weight!

    My question is how come peeps are always trying to compare this cheaper stuff to more expensive brands? Is it for the "look at me I got the same thing and paid less than you" aspect? And then they get all huffy (hey I made a bike pun!) when folks make fun of their comparisons to higher end hardware...

    I'm happy that 29ers are finally becoming a "bargain basement" item. The boutique stuff is sure nice for the connoisseurs, but we need the lower level market to keep the bike biz in business!
    Nah... I don't think it's because of making fun. It's more of a accomplishment! It is easier to break a bank to get all the stuff you want than to do it the other way round. You should be applauding the bikers who went the extra mile to count what's worth that penny for each part and where to get a true bargain. To me bargain hunters and weight weenies are the real bikers, they basically made each dollar look like a dollar instead of depreciating it. Obviously, I 'm pretty thankful for companies such as Sette, RST, Carboncycles, some others for making bike building sensible again else I wouldn't be even restarting my biking hobby. Food for thought: Why pay more when you can get it better and cheaper? Fancy being ripped off?

  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44
    I'll be a saint here and disclose my components though I haven't done building completely yet (Too much work!!!). I will tell you how you can build a good and cheap sub 8kg 29er (excl. tires) and where to save and get these. I use SRAM X.9 because Shimano is heavier and I don't like the motion of their rear derailluer. It's really up to you.

    1) Buy a Sette Razzo from Pricepoint ard $200 now (Offer ends this march)
    2) Get yourself a build kit, SRAM X.9 from greenfishsports that'll cost you ard $250
    3) Get a carbon cycle fork from Carboncycle themselves for ard $165 (Personally I'm using the WB rigid carbon fork from treeforbikes ard $270 but I'll suggest you go with Jerry's fork)
    4) Get a crank bros egg beater SL from treeforbikes for ard $75
    5) Get yourself Sette cockpit 1 combo from Pricepoint for ard $85
    6) Get Maddux explorer T2 wheelset from Pricepoint for ard $170 (ard 2kg a pair!)
    7) Get a good rear disc brake BB7 from Greenfishsports for $38
    8) Get speed dial 7 from Greenfishsports for ard $16
    9) Get super lite foam grips for ard $5 from Pricepoint
    10) I pampered myself with a Sette air suspension seatpost from Pricepoint ard $35.
    11) Pay someone to build all these for you for ard $100 or you can be like me and build it slowly like lego. I love my childhood... kekeke

    Basically I use only 1 rear brake, 1 rear derailluer, 1 X 44T chain ring (Haven't found a way to dismantle mine yet), 1 shifter and 1 brake lever. I don't brake in front because it's carbon fork and I prefer to concentrate in steering in front and leave the braking behind. I am a 44T user up front so I don't need the 2 extra gears. This is my personal riding style and I'm pretty sure everyone else will develop theirs. I do mostly XC so depending on your ride, you may need to fine tune your combo. Everything should add up less than 8kg and I set my target on a road bike weight at 7.7kg. See... you don't need to break a bank to build a sub 10 bike... this is a sub 8 for a 29er. If you are able to source for places cheaper and legit... don't forget to share. I wouldn't mind building another for my bro. Cheers...

  23. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by spyglass
    Food for thought: Why pay more when you can get it better and cheaper? Fancy being ripped off?
    That's what I'm talking about. So the dude who bought a Porsche got ripped off because there's a Corvette available for half off? What about things like craftsmanship or design?

    If somebody with money sneers at the budget bikes people call them a snob. What do you call someone who finds it important to point how stupid everyone is for not pinching pennies? Not everyone's priorities are the same nor are their budgets. I'm pretty sure the guy who bought a $3000 bike didn't do so with their last penny. And if they did I applaud them for being hardcore and getting exactly what they wanted even if it gets plopped on a $300 Hyundai to drive to the trails!

    I'm not going to argue with anyone about who is or isn't a "real" biker. This kind of nonsense happens with every recreational pursuit I involve myself with. What I will say is anyone who is concerned about how much or how little they spent is missing the point.

    And no, you can't take all that money you saved with you when you die!

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    372
    I went back and fourth over the Sette Razzo and the Niner EMD frames. The Razzo was $200 +$30 shipping. The 2009 EMD was $449 shipped.

    Even though I was on a budget, the extra $219 was worth it to me for resale value and yes a little bling factor too. But resale value, and ease of resale was a big factor for me.

    And obviously "bling" is a factor on peoples minds why else would these two comments be posted above...

    "And, do the decals come off?"
    "Decals do not come off, I've checked"

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by spyglass
    Basically I use only 1 rear brake, 1 rear derailluer, 1 X 44T chain ring (Haven't found a way to dismantle mine yet), 1 shifter and 1 brake lever. I don't brake in front because it's carbon fork and I prefer to concentrate in steering in front and leave the braking behind. I am a 44T user up front so I don't need the 2 extra gears. This is my personal riding style and I'm pretty sure everyone else will develop theirs. I do mostly XC so depending on your ride, you may need to fine tune your combo. Everything should add up less than 8kg and I set my target on a road bike weight at 7.7kg. See... you don't need to break a bank to build a sub 10 bike... this is a sub 8 for a 29er. If you are able to source for places cheaper and legit... don't forget to share. I wouldn't mind building another for my bro. Cheers...
    Why should I or anyone else take advice from someone who believes it is adequate to use just a back brake. When you apply a brake, front or rear about 75% of your weight transfers onto the front wheel. All you are going to do is skid your back wheel and rip up the trail, not to mention the lack of control using just a rear brake.

    It is obvious that you know very little about biking.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •