mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Sette Razzo 29er Max Tire Width =/= 2.2"

I thought this deserved a special thread since some people are probably turned off by Sette listing the max tire width as 29 x 2.2" on the carbon 29er Razzo. I installed Geax Gato tires on a Stans Arch EX rim and there is PLENTY of clearance. Given the clearance, I could easily mount a 2.4" tire on if I wish. The high volume/low pressure setup completely changes the feel of the bike. Way more maneuverable. I understand that tires and rim widths vary, but I wanted it known that there ARE tire options for this bike greater than 2.2". Also, the Gato tires totally rock. I will add some pictures soon and send an email to Sette.

Clears
    Aug 2011
    I have the aluminum Razzo with a 2.35 captain control on the back, plenty of room. A 2.4 racing Ralph is a wee bit tight however. I have sun Ringle equalizer hoops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have an aluminum Razzo with a 2.2 Nevegal on the rear. If riding hard, the knobbies started cut my chainstays a bit. I took a grinder to my outermost knobbies, been fine since (used sidewalk chalk to identify the furthest out knobbies). I can't imagine 2.4s on this thing.

By the way, love the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by benoksanen View Post
    I have an aluminum Razzo with a 2.2 Nevegal on the rear. If riding hard, the knobbies started cut my chainstays a bit. I took a grinder to my outermost knobbies, been fine since (used sidewalk chalk to identify the furthest out knobbies). I can't imagine 2.4s on this thing.

By the way, love the bike.
    That's odd. What rims do you have and what tire pressure are you running? I used to use Nevegals on my 26" bike and loved them, but I heard they didn't translate well to 29ers. That being the case I tried WTB Bronson's (terrible) before changing to the Gato's. The Gato's have widely spaced, yet reasonably length tread. The max casing width is as wide as the max tread width. They are performing amazingly where I ride (SW PA). Rode them on the trails in the rain on Saturday and they were as promised: reliable and predictable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just wanted to confirm what steelhmr said, as I just installed a 2.4 Ardent on a Stan's Flow EX rim on the rear of my Carbon Sette Razzo. It has about 6 mm clearance from the chainstays and the seatstays, and I have not been able to get it to rub even in hard climbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has anyone mounted a Schwable Racing Ralph 2.4 x 29 on the Razzo SC, front or rear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am shopping for a frame to replace my Surly Karate Monkey and use 50mm wide rims and 2.4 tires in the winter. I see there are issues with tire clearance and my set up is 6 cm wide and the surly has 6.5 cm between the chainstays. Could someone measure what it is on their alloy razzo please?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    I thought this deserved a special thread since some people are probably turned off by Sette listing the max tire width as 29 x 2.2" on the carbon 29er Razzo. I installed Geax Gato tires on a Stans Arch EX rim and there is PLENTY of clearance. Given the clearance, I could easily mount a 2.4" tire on if I wish. The high volume/low pressure setup completely changes the feel of the bike. Way more maneuverable. I understand that tires and rim widths vary, but I wanted it known that there ARE tire options for this bike greater than 2.2". Also, the Gato tires totally rock. I will add some pictures soon and send an email to Sette.
    They likely state that because diff. rim widths change tire profiles and diff tire profiles (different manufacturers and even diff sizes between same models at times) change the tire/seatstay clearance. Sounds like you got lucky. Thank you for sharing your experience!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You'll need a 29+ frame for those widths. Have you seen the Krampus? More companies are starting to make these 29+ frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just replaced stock tires with 2.4 racing ralphs tubeless front and rear. Generous clearance, could definitely fit larger f & r.