Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sette Phone Number

Anyone has the phone number for Sette CS (If they have one) ?

Cuánto pesa?
    You could ask Setté via e-mail> info@setteusa.com

mtbr member
    The phone number on their domain name registration is: (310)771-8248

AZ
    banned
    800-774-2376 ext. 402

mtbr member
    ^price point customer service number.

Probably the best one to call anyways, thats where you bought the bike so thats who you got to deal with.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    ^price point customer service number.

Probably the best one to call anyways, thats where you bought the bike so thats who you got to deal with.

Right off of the Sette contact us page .

Two different companys with the same phone number , how odd .

mtbr member
    Strange my browser is not showing any numbers on the contact us page!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Strange my browser is not showing any numbers on the contact us page!
    Not that strange considering there website lists no phone number.

The number AZ.MTNS Listed is the customer support number of Price Point as listed on Price Points Website.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Go to sette exp. , scroll down , hit contact us .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Go to sette exp. , scroll down , hit contact us .
    Interesting....now there is no phone number listed? Did vtolds get it pulled?
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Here is a question are you finding that number by actually going to www.setteusa.com which is there website or are you clicking a Sette link on Price Point. If you clicking it on price point which brings you to this site http://www.pricepoint.com/setteExper...experience.htm which is part of price point, then clicking contact it just loops you back to the contact info for Price Point.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    shoulda got a screen shot!

Pricepoint = Sette = Pricepoint = Generic House Brand

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner1004

mtbr member
    lol, hmm wonder how many times I have to say that they are separate companies. Both Sette and Price Point say they are different companies. I tend to believe them over the ramblings of some guy on the internet who thinks he knows but has no idea.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    then why did AZmtns see the same contact number on Sette & PP?

then suddenly have it removed after his post?

banned
    Jul 2009
    lol, hmm wonder how many times I have to say that they are separate companies. Both Sette and Price Point say they are different companies.
    Would your phone number happen to be the same as Pricepoint's too?

I tend to believe them over the ramblings of some guy on the internet who thinks he knows but has no idea.
    You don't say.

mtbr member
    then why did AZmtns see the same contact number on Sette & PP?

then suddenly have it removed after his post?
    Conspiracy.

AZ.MTNS said he found it, but I can assure you he never saw it on there actual website, He was in the Sette Section on Price Point, and the link goes back to price points contact section.

Sette has always just had a email address on there site, never any number of any kind.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sette has always just had a email address on there site, never any number of any kind.

Because nothing says "I stand behind my products" like hiding your phone number from customers while you cower behind an e-mail address.

Confidence inspiring....really.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So lets be clear, someone please provide direct lines to:

-Sette's Cust Service
    -PP's Cust Service

mtbr member

Honestly, you have ZERO credibility on this forum. You built up your post count cussing at a guy who liked his Mongoose and kept constantly asking for his wife's pictures like a deprived teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by apat13
    Because nothing says "I stand behind my products" like hiding your phone number from customers while you cower behind an e-mail address.

Confidence inspiring....really.
    Have you had any bad experiences with Sette or Price Point or are you simply a clueless parrot who repeats what some morons say?

Every issue I have had with Sette has been resolved amazingly well and many others as well.

Check out the thread about the cracked Reken frame where not only did PP offer a replacement, they even offered labels to ship the old frame back on their expense. Not saying the big names don't offer replacement frames, but this is the first time I have heard of a company paying for the old frame to be shipped back.

Anyways, the issue I had has been resolved so don't need any numbers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm sorry...my mistake...I have this problem where I base my opinions off of over 10 years experience working in the bike industry. I didn't know that qualified me as a clueless parrot.

Sette = Price Point house brand that produces cheap products using outdated designs. If you love them, good for you.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry...my mistake...I have this problem where I base my opinions off of over 10 years experience working in the bike industry. I didn't know that qualified me as a clueless parrot.
    prove it

Quote Originally Posted by MTBR Admin
    All Manufacturers / Vendors / Shop Owners / Sponsored Riders should declare their status as a Retailer / Manufacturer in their signature
    Declare it in your signature.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Let's see.

Primo Design Importers, Ltd importer and owner of the Sette brand. Previous address 1442 W 135th St. Gardena, CA 90249. New address 1444 W 135th St.Gardena, CA 90249.

Price Point Mail Order LTD address 1442 W 135th St. Gardena, CA 90249.

Blurb from their IT company - See last line.
    Price Point Mail Order, Ltd. signs a one year deal with
    North County Networks to supply all IT related services
    for its growing catalog business. Price Point and its
    subsidiaries are among a growing number of specialty
    retail catalogs that outsource their IT resources to
    experts such as North County Networks. These types
    of services enable Price Point to concentrate further
    on boosting other profit making efforts, such as their
    superior web presence, marketing and the creation of
    a new product line called Sette.

Draw your own conclusions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    prove it

Declare it in your signature.

A few months ago I posted a very long discussion of where I am in life and what my history is. I stopped my full time work as the manager of a large shop (Cannondale, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Intense dealer...among other special order stuff) several years ago when I went back to school to pursue a PhD. Since then, I have worked part time at two different shops when I can fit in in (I also run a small computer repair business and do catering for small gatherings in addition to my graduate work and my full time position as the managing editor of an international academic journal). I still keep in touch with the regional reps, still pour over the latest and greatest, and still try to ride as much as I can.

mtbr member

Sette = Price Point house brand that produces cheap products using outdated designs. If you love them, good for you.
    I've had no problems with their products. The few times I had issues PP took care of it promptly. Are their products cheap? Yes there are. Are they cheap quality? Not really.

You commented on their incompetence to stand behind their products. Exactly how does your reply have anything to do with them not standing behind their products?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy Darke
    Let's see.

Primo Design Importers, Ltd importer and owner of the Sette brand. Previous address 1442 W 135th St. Gardena, CA 90249. New address 1444 W 135th St.Gardena, CA 90249.

Price Point Mail Order LTD address 1442 W 135th St. Gardena, CA 90249.

Blurb from their IT company - See last line.
    Price Point Mail Order, Ltd. signs a one year deal with
    North County Networks to supply all IT related services
    for its growing catalog business. Price Point and its
    subsidiaries are among a growing number of specialty
    retail catalogs that outsource their IT resources to
    experts such as North County Networks. These types

Draw your own conclusions.

Guess that this statement is not an accurate one : Both Sette and Price Point say they are different companies. I tend to believe them over the ramblings of some guy on the internet who thinks he knows but has no idea

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Guess that this statement is not an accurate one : Both Sette and Price Point say they are different companies. I tend to believe them over the ramblings of some guy on the internet who thinks he knows but has no idea
    +1. I agree completely.

mtbr member
    your funny.

Question for Remy. Can you link your source for your information?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had no problems with their products. The few times I had issues PP took care of it promptly. Are their products cheap? Yes there are. Are they cheap quality? Not really.

You commented on their incompetence to stand behind their products. Exactly how does your reply have anything to do with them not standing behind their products?

I said nothing about incompetence, I criticized them for not providing their customers a phone number and hiding behind an e-mail address. I stand by that. My post had to do with your assertion that I am a clueless parrot.

Regardless, Remy's post is definitive. Sette is PP's house brand. It is made cheaply using outdated (no longer under patent) designs, by the lowest bidder. If you love the stuff, good for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    your funny.

Question for Remy. Can you link your source for your information?
    The Sette USA page. The parent company is listed and the address is provided by them and the webhost.

mtbr member
    The Sette USA page. The parent company is listed and the address is provided by them and the webhost.
    But where?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    But where?
    Look on the policy page. Then just look up their parent adress. Or just run them through LexisNexis.

mtbr member
    Look on the policy page. Then just look up their parent adress. Or just run them through LexisNexis.
    It looks as though there parent company is Primo Designs Importers LTD. Not seeing any reference to PP being part of or linked to either company besides them selling there products. I will do my due diligence to find out exactly is the truth of the matter. If if they deny it I will tend to believe them, but if they dont I might be rather over them telling me for over a half a year they are separate companies.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It looks as though there parent company is Primo Designs Importers LTD. Not seeing any reference to PP being part of or linked to either company besides them selling there products. I will do my due diligence to find out exactly is the truth of the matter. If if they deny it I will tend to believe them, but if they dont I might be rather over them telling me for over a half a year they are separate companies.
    Primo and Price Point.com ARE seperate companies. Each is a subsidiary of Price Point mail order. This is listed on the business licence as their DBA's. Sette is not a company but a trademark only.

If your fanboyism is quite that bad then try asking for Ziad Alramahi when you contact Price Point again. Or you could just use the public information DB's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It is made cheaply using outdated (no longer under patent) designs, by the lowest bidder. If you love the stuff, good for you.
    Hmm, seems like the bike industry and big pharm share at least one thing in common, they'd like you to believe that if the other company didn't do the R&D then the product isn't worth a darn.

I admit i'm new to the whole mountain biking biz, but i do have a good friend whose opinion i trust (you know, the 15 years in the business, rode competitively type of pedigree). Anyway, i showed him the 'house brand' mentioned here and he said about what i expected. The components are great, the frame is mass produced for lots of different companies, and all for a great price.

i've spent the past few days reading all the sette threads i can find and i still can't figure out where this resistance to the brand comes from. Seems like someone asks a question about the company and someone else has to chime in about a better bike for more money (though sometimes only slightly more) and then someone else chimes in about a good experience with PP. Someone has to follow that comment with a complaint about how sette hides behind PP.

After several hours of study it seems like many of those who own a sette like them. those that have had issues with sette get them resolved by price point. And those with who have bones to pick with other members seem to feel like taking any shot they can even if it means making generalizations about a company that they never seem to have actually dealt with at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As I said before: If you like the stuff, good for you.

AZ
    banned

These types

Pretty much says it all right there , unless you dont believe that "creation of a new product line called Sette" means anything . IMHO , I do not understand how a representitive of a company cannot know whom it is owned by . You have repeatedly demeaned anyone who dared to suggest that PP was indeed Sette . If indeed they have been telling you that they are not the same entity , how are we supposed to put any faith in what they tell us ? Can we believe what you tell us , given so much contrary information ? You may not think this is a big deal , but honesty from a company or their reps is of the utmost importance .

mtbr member
    Pretty much says it all right there , unless you dont believe that "creation of a new product line called Sette" means anything . IMHO , I do not understand how a representitive of a company cannot know whom it is owned by . You have repeatedly demeaned anyone who dared to suggest that PP was indeed Sette . If indeed they have been telling you that they are not the same entity , how are we supposed to put any faith in what they tell us ? Can we believe what you tell us , given so much contrary information ? You may not think this is a big deal , but honesty from a company or their reps is of the utmost importance .
    I am not a company rep, my only contact with either company is by email. So it makes it a pretty simple answer to your question.

It is a big deal to me, I have been telling people they are different companies and now there is evidence that says different. If you think its a big deal then it is much worse for me, because it makes me look bad for spreading possible misinformation.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    The general attitude on this forum goes something like this: "It doesn't matter what bike you have, it's where you got it from".

Sette/PP has two types of opposition:

- The people that bash the brand yet secretly go and buy their products. Often exposed by posting question about the Sette products they have purchased.

- Big brand fanboys that resent the brand simply because they have invested large sums of money purchasing from expensive brand names. Some feel so devoted towards their big brand name products that they can't stand the fact that others can purchase decent biking goods for much, much less money.

I was introduced to Sette last year. I remember stumbling upon their website and had no clue what they were about. To me it seemed like they put out good bikes with very good components. So I automatically assumed they were one of the big names in the industry.

After ordering a few of their items to try out, I was pleasantly surprised. So I kept buying and never really was disappointed with their products. Especially for the price and the service that came with it.

Why should I or anyone else for that matter care if Sette and PP are ran by the same guys? Since when do we care where the money is going when you're riding your bike on the trails in the middle of nowhere?

The bashers think they are insulting Sette by affiliating them with PP. For me. All I care about is that I'm getting pretty good bang for the buck products while someone else decides to dump a bigger credit card payment into his Cannon/Trek/Giant/Jamis...etc

Quote Originally Posted by dfeitel
    Hmm, seems like the bike industry and big pharm share at least one thing in common, they'd like you to believe that if the other company didn't do the R&D then the product isn't worth a darn.

I admit i'm new to the whole mountain biking biz, but i do have a good friend whose opinion i trust (you know, the 15 years in the business, rode competitively type of pedigree). Anyway, i showed him the 'house brand' mentioned here and he said about what i expected. The components are great, the frame is mass produced for lots of different companies, and all for a great price.

i've spent the past few days reading all the sette threads i can find and i still can't figure out where this resistance to the brand comes from. Seems like someone asks a question about the company and someone else has to chime in about a better bike for more money (though sometimes only slightly more) and then someone else chimes in about a good experience with PP. Someone has to follow that comment with a complaint about how sette hides behind PP.

After several hours of study it seems like many of those who own a sette like them. those that have had issues with sette get them resolved by price point. And those with who have bones to pick with other members seem to feel like taking any shot they can even if it means making generalizations about a company that they never seem to have actually dealt with at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Address from the Price Point "contact us" link:

Price Point Mail Order Ltd.
    1442 W. 135th Street
    Gardena, CA 90249

And this address showed up in multiple links when I googled Primo's phone number, a couple of other addresses showed up as well, including the 1444 W. 135th mentioned above:

Primo Design Importers
    1442 W 135th St
    Gardena, CA 90249
    310-324-7900

Here is a link to a job offer from PP which lists the Primo Designs fax number:
    http://jobasto.com/careers/jobs/pric...ent-fqqrp.html

Hmmm.

Edited to add: That job offer with the fax number also show in the "Employment" link on PP's site.

mtbr member
    The general attitude on this forum goes something like this: "It doesn't matter what bike you have, it's where you got it from".

Sette/PP has two types of opposition:

- The people that bash the brand yet secretly go and buy their products. Often exposed by posting question about the Sette products they have purchased.

- Big brand fanboys that resent the brand simply because they have invested large sums of money purchasing from expensive brand names. Some feel so devoted towards their big brand name products that they can't stand the fact that others can purchase decent biking goods for much, much less money.

I was introduced to Sette last year. I remember stumbling upon their website and had no clue what they were about. To me it seemed like they put out good bikes with very good components. So I automatically assumed they were one of the big names in the industry.

After ordering a few of their items to try out, I was pleasantly surprised. So I kept buying and never really was disappointed with their products. Especially for the price and the service that came with it.

Why should I or anyone else for that matter care if Sette and PP are ran by the same guys? Since when do we care where the money is going when you're riding your bike on the trails in the middle of nowhere?

The bashers think they are insulting Sette by affiliating them with PP. For me. All I care about is that I'm getting pretty good bang for the buck products while someone else decides to dump a bigger credit card payment into his Cannon/Trek/Giant/Jamis...etc
    Nicely said

I wont be mad or disappointed if they do admit they are one and the same. Just might be ticked they possibly told me false info and let me unknowingly pass it on to the masses. I have yet to be disappointed in any of there products. I owned a Sette frame long before I launched my site.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    AZ.MTNS: Have you bought anything from PP or any Sette products?

I'm asking because I go through a lot of Sette threads in this section of the forum, and it seems to me and I'm sure to others too, your whole purpose in the Sette forum is to Attack Dremer first followed by attacking Sette/PP. Do you agree or not? If not, I'll be glad to provide at least 100 quotes from you constantly attacking over and over and over...

AZ
    banned
    I am not a company rep, my only contact with either company is by email. So it makes it a pretty simple answer to your question.

It is a big deal to me, I have been telling people they are different companies and now there is evidence that says different. If you think its a big deal then it is much worse for me, because it makes me look bad for spreading possible misinformation.

Let me say that I am in no way flaming , baggin on you etc. I do think its a big deal . I am sure that others do too . This cloak of secrecy is completely unnessasery . How many times by how many people has it been said that they were one and the same ? Only to be called names , told that we were just stirring up trouble . I truly feel empathy towards you , that you could be sold down the river so to speak . As far as your being a rep or not , you are on point for this company . That makes you a company rep if for no other reason but default . Now you get to suffer the coming shiite storm , no one likes being lied to . Are they going to answer for this ? I doubt it , they have you out front .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is what i'm most curious about. I've never purchased from pricepoint until last night, but my order shipped today so i am pretty happy so far.

Aside from people saying the companies aren't related and being proved incorrect, is there any big deal that they are owned by the same company?

In fact, aren't several big bike companies owned by the same parent company?

mtbr member
    This is what i'm most curious about. I've never purchased from pricepoint until last night, but my order shipped today so i am pretty happy so far.

Aside from people saying the companies aren't related and being proved incorrect, is there any big deal that they are owned by the same company?

Trek owns Gary Fisher
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned

Yes there are , and they dont lie about it when asked . If you dont mind being lied too then no prob. I prefer to do buisness with companies that dont lie to me , but I'm funny that way . I figure that if they lie about something that trivial they will lie about everything .

AZ
    banned
    Trek owns Gary Fisher

Trek dosent lie and tell you they dont .

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd say Primo imports some decent stuff for the Sette brand. I have a bunch of their parts on my Fisher commuter. Plus solid but run of the mill frames. No one is going to get cutting edge for that price point. Good value but not high end. I've been considering a Flite as hold over myself. But Dremers denile of facts does get tiresome. AZ summed up the rest pretty well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Trek owns Gary Fisher
    Yep, but they don't try to say otherwise.

FWIW, It doesn't really bother me that Sette is owned by PP or Primo or whatever. I own a few Sette products and have dealt with PP numerous times and am a happy customer. I don't understand why they can't just say that they are owned by the same company though.

mtbr member

The bashers don't really care who owns Sette. Sette could be owned by Victoria's Secret and they would still look for excuses to flame. They just have a bone to pick or maybe too much free time on their hands.

Most seem to have ignored the industry Mammoth Specialized went after small company Epic Designs Cycling over the naming issue. Last time I checked, PP is minding their own business.

mtbr member
    AZ you still have no replied to my questions.

AZ
    banned
    AZ you still have no replied to my questions.

And ? You post here as if it was of any consequence . This isnt about my purchasing habits , it is however about honesty . The concept of honesty seems to elude alot of people here . Without honesty there can be no relationship , buissness or otherwise . So I fail to see how I spend money has anything to do with the dishonesty that has been displayed . If you want to try to divert attention away from the issue , thats your deal . It does however reflect poorly on you .

mtbr member
    And ? You post here as if it was of any consequence . This isnt about my purchasing habits , it is however about honesty . The concept of honesty seems to elude alot of people here . Without honesty there can be no relationship , buissness or otherwise . So I fail to see how I spend money has anything to do with the dishonesty that has been displayed . If you want to try to divert attention away from the issue , thats your deal . It does however reflect poorly on you .

If your concern was really about staying on topic, you would still be talking about a 10 digit phone number. Not an issue about business ethics. You can clearly see I started this topic asking a very particular question. Never asked about your feelings.

I ask again, since you are so opposed to Sette/PP, why are you so vested in the Sette forum? Afterall the Sette forum was setup to focus on the products and help each other out.

Just like you're very keen to getting answers about who owns who, why can't you just answer if you have purchased ANYTHING at all from PP or any Sette products?

AZ
    banned
    If your concern was really about staying on topic, you would still be talking about a 10 digit phone number. Not an issue about business ethics. You can clearly see I started this topic asking a very particular question. Never asked about your feelings.

I ask again, since you are so opposed to Sette/PP, why are you so vested in the Sette forum? Afterall the Sette forum was setup to focus on the products and help each other out.

Just like you're very keen to getting answers about who owns who, why can't you just answer if you have purchased ANYTHING at all from PP or any Sette products?

I in fact did not change the topic. If you read this thread I provided a phone number , I kept it on topic . Wether I choose to make my purchases at PP or Cambria or Performance or Nashbar is irrelevant to the current topic .

mtbr member
    I in fact did not change the topic. If you read this thread I provided a phone number , I kept it on topic . Wether I choose to make my purchases at PP or Cambria or Performance or Nashbar is irrelevant to the current topic .
    How can it be irrelevant if you are saying the company is LYING to you yet you buy from them. So you're not going to answer if you buy from them or not???? Seems like a pretty simple question which you are being ultra defensive about.

In other words:

- If you buy from PP/Sette then you are buying from a business which you are saying is lying to you and you don't trust.

- If you don't buy from PP/Sette that means you are posting in a forum specific to Sette products yet you don't know sh!t about since you don't own any!!!!

Either way you're really making yourself look bad. You have decent biking knowledge and give good advice. Too bad you tarnish everything with your negativity.

AZ
    banned
    How can it be irrelevant if you are saying the company is LYING to you yet you buy from them. So you're not going to answer if you buy from them or not???? Seems like a pretty simple question which you are being ultra defensive about.

In other words:

- If you buy from PP/Sette then you are buying from a business which you are saying is lying to you and you don't trust.

- If you don't buy from PP/Sette that means you are posting in a forum specific to Sette products yet you don't know sh!t about since you don't own any!!!!

Either way you're really making yourself look bad. You have decent biking knowledge and give good advice. Too bad you tarnish everything with your negativity.

Well , since I can now be sure that they are lying to me I shall never buy from them again rest assured . Its nice that you confirm what I have been saying , that they have been lying to us . I always had suspisions , they have as of today been confirmed . I am glad that you agree that they are liars , what you choose to do is your deal ., I prefer to do buisness with companies that give me that warm fuzzy feeling that I am not getting with this one .

mtbr member
    Well , since I can now be sure that they are lying to me I shall never buy from them again rest assured . Its nice that you confirm what I have been saying , that they have been lying to us . I always had suspisions , they have as of today been confirmed . I am glad that you agree that they are liars , what you choose to do is your deal ., I prefer to do buisness with companies that give me that warm fuzzy feeling that I am not getting with this one .
    It's your choice where you spend your money.

I didn't say they are liars. I said "if you are saying the company is LYING". Big difference.

Does that mean your done with the Sette forum or are you still going to keep posting in a forum for a company which you don't support?

AZ
    banned
    It's your choice where you spend your money.

I didn't say they are liars. I said "if you are saying the company is LYING". Big difference.

Does that mean your done with the Sette forum or are you still going to keep posting in a forum for a company which you don't support?

Now that I will no longer patronize PP and am no longer contemplating the purchase of any se--e parts or bikes in any way shape or form , I wiil no longer post here . There are plenty of worthy companies to support .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So wait...are Sette and Price Point owned by Victoria's Secret? If so....I want in now!

mtbr member
    I'm not surprised at all by any of this. Its really no different then Performances house brand. There was a thread a whille ago were the guy that owns Stan's got in to a pissing match with some one over were there hubs were coming from. For what ever reason some company's do every thing they can to hide there associations. I'm guessing allot of you guys that post in here are new to the sport. A big reason for the Sette hate is the same hate people have for Performance. I spent 10 years working for them I know all about it. Try going to Inter bike with a Performance badge on. People look at Price Point and Performance as nothing more the company's looking to make a profit and they think thats some how evil. I really have no problem with ether place or there products. But 15 years in the industry has thought me you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    15 years in the industry has thought me you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to bikes.
    I couldn't agree more. You get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    I couldn't agree more. You get what you pay for.

I'm really surprised there was any question that Sette and Price Point weren't one and the same. Other then Dremer's telling every one otherwise whille saying hes not a rep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm really surprised there was any question that Sette and Price Point weren't one and the same. Other then Dremer's telling every one otherwise whille saying hes not a rep.
    I always just assumed it was a house brand and steered clear of it (if I want a Kalloy stem and seatpost, I will just go order a Kalloy stem and seatpost from QBP), but many of the fanbois loudly asserted that it was some wonderfully affordable independent manufacturer who blessed them with high end parts for low end prices. Given the fanboi support, I would have to say Price Point succeeded admirably in that marketing endeavor.

mtbr member
    I always just assumed it was a house brand and steered clear of it (if I want a Kalloy stem and seatpost, I will just go order a Kalloy stem and seatpost from QBP), but many of the fanbois loudly asserted that it was some wonderfully affordable independent manufacturer who blessed them with high end parts for low end prices. Given the fanboi support, I would have to say Price Point succeeded admirably in that marketing endeavor.

Yea same here. There are some real Nobs in here so I just assumed they haven't figured it out yet. This sub forum still has this strange feel to it I cant put my finger on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    again, maybe it's because i'm knew, but other than disparaging the product by calling it a 'house brand,' no one has really said why that is a bad thing or that the product is inferior.

Are the SRAM X7 shifters present on the Flite knock-offs of real X7s? What about the Rock Shox shocks? Now, you can debate all you want about whether the components are top of the line, middle of the line, bottom of the barrel all you want, but i don't really see that as relevant since very few people expect top of the line for bottom dollar. What i do want to hear is if they are counterfeiting parts or using parts that are prone to breaking or could be dangerous. Beyond that i don't see how saying it's a 'house brand' does much.

So again, do the 'house brands' wait until all the big name companies pick out the best parts and then take the leftovers for the 'house brand bikes'?

Also, aren't most of the 'house brand' parts sold today from the same company? I get that you might like and get improved performance from a named company. I'm a photographer and there are fewer businesses where truly 'you get what you pay for' than photography. That said there are areas where you can save money and house brands that are high enough quality to get the job done. No one has proved that the Sette brand is anything other than a 'house brand'.

I think the vibe you can't place is from the fact that a sette thread can't be started without it seeming to turn into a rivalry between those who have issues with a certain member and the brand he reps for vs. those that have actual experience with the product and are generally happy with their purchase.

I belong to many different forums, from beer to guns to photography, but none of them seem to bicker more than bikers over 'name brand' without actually providing more than the 'because i said so' argument. If you want to tell me something is inferior, prone to breaking, heavy, great, that'd be helpful. But it seems like someone will say "what do you think of a sette" and suddenly you've got people coming in and saying "get X bike, it's better and sette is crap". That doesn't do anything to actually educate me about a bike.

Bikers here just never seem to actually provide much beyond 'highest cost = highest quality' and 'lowest cost = not worth your time'.
    Last edited by dfeitel; 02-02-2010 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member
    I'd like to chime in here too. I, for some reason, have this weird love for Sette...

First I know I've read that they were "two different companies" but I never really believed it.
    Maybe they are "legally" two different companies under one umbrella or something (I'm no bussiness expert" but to me, it's all symantics at that point.

Second, even if PP did get involved in Sette, who can blame them for wanting to make an extra buck? it's the American dream. I'm sure it happens alot more than we realize.

Lastly, if you don't like it, don't buy it or flame the guys who do. It's a freaking bike. I've decided to become the king of cheap this and budget this year and I can tell you, the Sette stuff is descent for the money. Sorry it doesn't have the name brand...

mtbr member
    Are the SRAM X7 shifters present on the Flite knock-offs of real X7s? What about the Rock Shox shocks?=
    Everything on these bikes are the real deal, from the XTR on the new Phantom to the X.7 on the Flite. Someone said a wise thing ones, this is not a exact quote. "Buying a Sette Bike is like getting the frame for free".

Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I'd like to chime in here too. I, for some reason, have this weird love for Sette...

First I know I've read that they were "two different companies" but I never really believed it.
    Maybe they are "legally" two different companies under one umbrella or something (I'm no bussiness expert" but to me, it's all symantics at that point.

Second, even if PP did get involved in Sette, who can blame them for wanting to make an extra buck? it's the American dream. I'm sure it happens alot more than we realize.

Lastly, if you don't like it, don't buy it or flame the guys who do. It's a freaking bike. I've decided to become the king of cheap this and budget this year and I can tell you, the Sette stuff is descent for the money. Sorry it doesn't have the name brand...
    I am all about saving money thats why I fell in line behind Sette, and I have yet to be disappointed with anything I have bought.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Everything on these bikes are the real deal, from the XTR on the new Phantom to the X.7 on the Flite. Someone said a wise thing ones, this is not a exact quote. "Buying a Sette Bike is like getting the frame for free".
    I've heard that. I actually left off the last part of my rhetorical question from my post, but thanks for answering. I went back and edited that graph to reflect what i meant to say.

I was just trying to question why a 'house brand' bike isn't as good if the components are quality. I get that the frame might be 'outdated' or from a frame catalog, but that doesn't address why people would think they are inferior.

mtbr member
    Mostly the difference is the style of the rear suspension on the FS bikes that make them out dated according to people who dont own a Sette. The HT bikes all have the same basic design, its next to impossible to improve on it. In my opinion most FT bikes from year to year from other manufacturers just get new paint and the bend or shape the tubes in a different way.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    I really don't think you should worry too much about how such a bombshell might affect your reputation and credibility.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Other than people flaunting their degrees and talking about their XX years in the biking world, I've yet to read one response that explains why they think Sette is inferior. I can flaunt my engineering degrees all day too but that means nothing. I know that Sette stuff work because I actually own and use them myself.

"You get what you pay for" is the most overused phrased ever. It's a phrase invented by salesmen and is usually followed by a sales pitch to convince you to buy the more expensive product.

Is BMW better than Honda? Hell no...then why aren't you getting what you paid for when you dropped $70,000 worth on a BMW? well...basically a big portion of that money went into having a nice logo on your trunk.

My $16 Sette Flopak has seen tons of abuse, countless falls, tons of mud and dirt and is still giving me every penny I paid for it. I could have dropped $65 on a Camelbak to please the posers. So excuse me for wanting a product that works for 1/4th the price. I'll rock my "house brand" on the trails all day while you rock your $80 Pearl Izumi jersey on the same trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I really don't think you should worry too much about how such a bombshell might affect your reputation and credibility.
    Another example of someone who is more concerned about a forum member rather than discussing anything related to this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sette is inferior because they use old frame designs that dont put out the power as well as the more updated designs. Sette frames are also inferior because they don't back it for lifetime. What is 5 years for a bike frame? If they only back it for 5 years, that is them telling us that it is only "guaranteed" to last that time. everything else is up in the air and you're at your own risk. They also dont have any history, so the customer doesn't know about their reputability. They also hide their information and lie to customers saying that Sette & PP are different companies. Lastly, they dont give the free services such as tube ups/adjustments that LBS's offer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think people are misunderstanding what some of the criticism is. Let me try to state it more clearly.

I DO NOT think Sette/Price Point equips their bikes with knock-off somponents (SRAM, Rock Shox etc...)

I DO NOT think Sette branded components are poorly made.

What I do KNOW, is that Sette branded components (Stems, seatposts, bars etc..) are no different that the "Uno" or "Kalloy" or any other generic bicycle part that can be purchased from your local bike shop for $20, or off ebay for $15. They are probably all made in the same factory in China or Taiwan. There is nothing wrong with that, and the components work fine and can deliver years of service.

What I do have a problem with is Sette fanbois trying to pass the gear off as some high end manufaturer that is offering the best components for less than everyone else. "Sette" does not make anything, they just put their name on generic low end parts from whoever gave the parent company the lowest price quote that quarter. Their bicycle frame are no different than any low end diamondback, KHS, Jamis, etc....Again, there is nothing wrong with that and you can get a lot of enjoyment out of the bikes.

I come back to the "you get what you pay for" adage which is entirely true of the bike industry. With Sette branded stuff you are getting fine basic parts, a fine basic frame, and are definitly getting your money's worth. You ARE NOT getting some high end manufacturer's greatest innovations for a fraction of the cost.

Why do you think you basically "get the frame for free" with a sette? Because it costs them next to nothing to make the frames. They pay the same for the Shimano, SRAM, Fox etc...stuff as every other company selling bycycles. Settes prices are lower in comparison to companies lie Trek, Specialized, or Giant because the Sette branded stuff is just dirt cheap generic stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but call a spade a spade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is BMW better than Honda? Hell no...
    Unless this was some kind of perverted joke, your opinions just lost any and all credibility they might have had.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have to derail this thread for a second with a funny anecdote.

A couple summers ago I was volunteering as an assistant coach for a JV girls soccer team (mostly freshman and sophomores). One day during afternoon practice, some of the upperclassmen boys kept slowly driving through the parking lot in their riced up Honda civics - clearly looking for some attention from the girls. They had their bass pumping, their cherry bomb exausts ripping and popping as loud as they could, their graphics sparkled in the sun and their huge rear wings kept the cars firmly planted to the ground. These kids must have been in the parking lot for close to an hour - constantly checking to see if the girls were looking.

I overheard one of my players say to her friend, "I don't get it? They can do whatever they want to make those cars look cool, but underneath it's still a Honda civic."

I almost fell over laughing.

mtbr member
    Ok I will try to explain it as best I can. There is nothing wrong with Sette/Price Point or there products. I think they fill a vary needed gap in the industry. I wish company's like Flite/Airborne had stuck around. Not every one wants to spend 5 or 6grand on a new bike. And you shouldn't have to just to enjoy the sport. There is allot of my bike is more expensive then yours going on and that on the face of it isn't right. Sette frames and parts are what they are inexpensive bikes and parts. Thats not bad its just not going to fit every ones wants and thats fine. So There parts are heaver then stuff thats more expensive and may not last as long. Thats fine if your not expecting that kind of quality. When I say you get what you pay for. What I'm talking about is not just the quality of the frame construction and the paint but also the warranty support after the sale. I ride a Giant XTC that a pro dealed 5 or 6 years a go. Now if I have any problems Giant has a lifetime warranty and I can go to any giant dealer for it. Now lots of high end makers don't offer that and I don't think enough people think about that when they put big money down on a bike.

Now that i don't work for a shop and cant stand paying retail I do my shopping online. I can get really good prices from places like Price Point. And i keep looking at the Sette bikes because i think they offer good value for the money. I just wish they would come out with a carbon Ace. I would love to use it as a race bike. I have a question for you guys that have Sette bikes does it say on the frame were its made? All I can find on who is making them tells me there coming from Vietnam.

mtbr member
    I have to derail this thread for a second with a funny anecdote.

A couple summers ago I was volunteering as an assistant coach for a JV girls soccer team (mostly freshman and sophomores). One day during afternoon practice, some of the upperclassmen boys kept slowly driving through the parking lot in their riced up Honda civics - clearly looking for some attention from the girls. They had their bass pumping, their cherry bomb exausts ripping and popping as loud as they could, their graphics sparkled in the sun and their huge rear wings kept the cars firmly planted to the ground. These kids must have been in the parking lot for close to an hour - constantly checking to see if the girls were looking.

I overheard one of my players say to her friend, "I don't get it? They can do whatever they want to make those cars look cool, but underneath it's still a Honda civic."

I almost fell over laughing.
    This is exactly the point. You and some others really can't stand the fact that people might enjoy their cheaper products as much or even more than your big name stuff. I don't rock a BMW or a Civic. I rock an Australlian muscle car which outperforms it's equivalent beemer for half the price. Never needed a car either to get a girl's attention. I picked up the cutest ones when I had my old 91 beat up Chevy.

Nobody claimed Sette stuff to be top of the line. Their stuff simply works.

Other than calling their stuff generic and cheap, you still havent proved anything at all on why anyone should avoid Sette or how they are failing for everyone.

mtbr member
    I think people are misunderstanding what some of the criticism is. Let me try to state it more clearly.

I DO NOT think Sette/Price Point equips their bikes with knock-off somponents (SRAM, Rock Shox etc...)

I DO NOT think Sette branded components are poorly made.

What I do KNOW, is that Sette branded components (Stems, seatposts, bars etc..) are no different that the "Uno" or "Kalloy" or any other generic bicycle part that can be purchased from your local bike shop for $20, or off ebay for $15. They are probably all made in the same factory in China or Taiwan. There is nothing wrong with that, and the components work fine and can deliver years of service.

What I do have a problem with is Sette fanbois trying to pass the gear off as some high end manufaturer that is offering the best components for less than everyone else. "Sette" does not make anything, they just put their name on generic low end parts from whoever gave the parent company the lowest price quote that quarter. Their bicycle frame are no different than any low end diamondback, KHS, Jamis, etc....Again, there is nothing wrong with that and you can get a lot of enjoyment out of the bikes.

I come back to the "you get what you pay for" adage which is entirely true of the bike industry. With Sette branded stuff you are getting fine basic parts, a fine basic frame, and are definitly getting your money's worth. You ARE NOT getting some high end manufacturer's greatest innovations for a fraction of the cost.

Why do you think you basically "get the frame for free" with a sette? Because it costs them next to nothing to make the frames. They pay the same for the Shimano, SRAM, Fox etc...stuff as every other company selling bycycles. Settes prices are lower in comparison to companies lie Trek, Specialized, or Giant because the Sette branded stuff is just dirt cheap generic stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but call a spade a spade.

Maybe we're asking the wrong the question here.
    Maybe we should ask "why is [insert big name brand here] selling their aluminum hardtails for 4-5 times more than Sette or who ever?
    I understand a slight tweak in materials (ever so slight) but 4 times the price? The welding isn't THAT much better....

mtbr member
    Maybe we should ask "why is [insert big name brand here] selling their aluminum hardtails for 4-5 times more than Sette or who ever?
    I understand a slight tweak in materials (ever so slight) but 4 times the price? The welding isn't THAT much better....
    No it probably isn't. But keep in mind that the big brands sold in a bike shop have to sport allot more infrastructure. I think its also in important to point out that all Trek and Specialized bikes under 1000 is a Giant. Giant is the largest bike manufacture in the world. They make bikes for almost every one. So they can do thing like Hydoforming tube sets that others can't do for lower prices. But they also make there bikes in Taiwan witch is more expensive then China or Vietnam.

mtbr member
    Ok I will try to explain it as best I can. There is nothing wrong with Sette/Price Point or there products. I think they fill a vary needed gap in the industry. I wish company's like Flite/Airborne had stuck around. Not every one wants to spend 5 or 6grand on a new bike. And you shouldn't have to just to enjoy the sport. There is allot of my bike is more expensive then yours going on and that on the face of it isn't right. Sette frames and parts are what they are inexpensive bikes and parts. Thats not bad its just not going to fit every ones wants and thats fine. So There parts are heaver then stuff thats more expensive and may not last as long. Thats fine if your not expecting that kind of quality. When I say you get what you pay for. What I'm talking about is not just the quality of the frame construction and the paint but also the warranty support after the sale. I ride a Giant XTC that a pro dealed 5 or 6 years a go. Now if I have any problems Giant has a lifetime warranty and I can go to any giant dealer for it. Now lots of high end makers don't offer that and I don't think enough people think about that when they put big money down on a bike.

Now that i don't work for a shop and cant stand paying retail I do my shopping online. I can get really good prices from places like Price Point. And i keep looking at the Sette bikes because i think they offer good value for the money. I just wish they would come out with a carbon Ace. I would love to use it as a race bike. I have a question for you guys that have Sette bikes does it say on the frame were its made? All I can find on who is making them tells me there coming from Vietnam.
    Sette frames are made in Taiwan like your Giant frame is.

When you paid the premium price for your brand name Giant, the warranty was included in the price you paid. Nothing is free.

Even if a Sette frame fails after 5 years (warranty expires), getting another frame brand new will still be cheaper than the price you paid for your Giant. A person will probably have to go through multiple Sette frames to even come close to the price of your Giant. No one seems to realize that.

mtbr member
    No it probably isn't. But keep in mind that the big brands sold in a bike shop have to sport allot more infrastructure. I think its also in important to point out that all Trek and Specialized bikes under 1000 is a Giant. Giant is the largest bike manufacture in the world. They make bikes for almost every one. So they can do thing like Hydoforming tube sets that others can't do for lower prices. But they also make there bikes in Taiwan witch is more expensive then China or Vietnam.
    Exactly... so then why should anyone get flamed because PP/Sette found/chose a great business model?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dickasaurus,
    Have you read anything that I or Pulser have posted recently? Nobody is saying to avoid the parts. Nobody is saying you can't have fun on them. Nobosy is saying they are poorly made. What we are saying is that they are not high end, they are not an exclusive brand, and they do not offer the best performance out there at any price. Sette stuff is fine for what it costs, but it costs what it does for a reason. It is generic and cheaply made bulk stuff sold to any company that wants to put a logo on it. Again, that does not make it bad in any way, but it is what it is. Sette stuff is the same a kalloy/uno/QBP brand/nashbar brand/etc....

You entirely missed my point about the car. One could easily build up an old ford escort with more HP than a BMW M3, but if given the choice I would always rather get from point A to point B in the BMW. If you are seriously arguing that the fit and finish of a Honda Civic or your "muscle car" is the same or better than a BMW for half the price then I do not know what to say. That is akin to arguing that a Mcdonald's hamburger is just as good as a 16 oz dry aged bone in NY strip steak. Sure, they both fill your stomach, but one tastes a hell of a lot better.

mtbr member
    You entirely missed my point about the car. One could easily build up an old ford escort with more HP than a BMW M3, but if given the choice I would always rather get from point A to point B in the BMW. If you are seriously arguing that the fit and finish of a Honda Civic or your "muscle car" is the same or better than a BMW for half the price then I do not know what to say. That is akin to arguing that a Mcdonald's hamburger is just as good as a 16 oz dry aged bone in NY strip steak. Sure, they both fill your stomach, but one tastes a hell of a lot better.
    I think the Ford/BMW is a poor analogy. In bike talk, I'm sure anyone would take an S-Works level frame over a Sette. That's not fair to comapre the two. But How about this... In a couple of weeks Specialized is going to release a "Marathon" level geared only hardtail. It's their take on 7000 series aluminum (and let's admit, nothing that fancy) Retail will be $750. That's absurd, especially when you have Sette at $200, hell even and EMD is less at $500 or what ever...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Find me a single bike from a big manufacturer that costs 4X the price of an enqually equipped sette. Sette bikes are usually 20-30% cheaper for equivilent componentry (der's, shifters, etc...) Why you pay more for a Specialized stumpjumper or cannondale hardtail is because the frames don't just have "better welds", they have patented engineering, more manipulated tube-sets, are usually lighter, or if not - stiffer at the same weight. What you pay for is R+D, warranty, and higher end manufacturing processes.

Most of the specialized frames are made in the same factories as the settes, but that does not mean they are made the same way. The SPZ frames will use different materials and different processes, and you pay for that.

Sette could not sell their bikes for so cheap is the core parts (frame/stem/seatpost/bar/etc...) were not dirt cheap to make. The shifters/shocks/brakes etc...cost the same for everyone building bikes to sell (actually, probably cost less for Trek/SPZ/Cannondale), so the only way sette could make money selling their stuff at lower price points is if the other parts are cheap.

Again, nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is. I am sure you can get an awesome experience riding a sette.

mtbr member
    Sette frames are made in Taiwan like your Giant frame is.

When you paid the premium price for your brand name Giant, the warranty was included in the price you paid. Nothing is free.

Even if a Sette frame fails after 5 years (warranty expires), getting another frame brand new will still be cheaper than the price you paid for your Giant. A person will probably have to go through multiple Sette frames to even come close to the price of your Giant. No one seems to realize that.

Actually thats not true I got my bike as a ProDeal. Because I was a shop Employee I could buy direct form Giant. So I got a $1000 bike for $500. The hole bike not just a frame. And just to prove my point that you can see a big difference with higher quality bikes like my XTC. Its 21lb with gears, a RS reba, X7 parts and XT crank, and heavy Mavic Wheels. How many Sette bikes specked out the same would be that lite?

mtbr member
    Find me a single bike from a big manufacturer that costs 4X the price of an enqually equipped sette. Sette bikes are usually 20-30% cheaper for equivilent componentry (der's, shifters, etc...) Why you pay more for a Specialized stumpjumper or cannondale hardtail is because the frames don't just have "better welds", they have patented engineering, more manipulated tube-sets, are usually lighter, or if not - stiffer at the same weight. What you pay for is R+D, warranty, and higher end manufacturing processes.

Most of the specialized frames are made in the same factories as the settes, but that does not mean they are made the same way. The SPZ frames will use different materials and different processes, and you pay for that.

Sette could not sell their bikes for so cheap is the core parts (frame/stem/seatpost/bar/etc...) were not dirt cheap to make. The shifters/shocks/brakes etc...cost the same for everyone building bikes to sell (actually, probably cost less for Trek/SPZ/Cannondale), so the only way sette could make money selling their stuff at lower price points is if the other parts are cheap.

Again, nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is. I am sure you can get an awesome experience riding a sette.
    OK.. then is the Sette better than the Rockhopper frame?

mtbr member

Actually I have to call you on this one thats not true. The cheaper specialized bikes come out of a giant factory. The sette bikes come from Astro Engineering. From what I can figure out they make them in Vietnam but have there headquarters in Taiwan so they can put made in Taiwan on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nobody claimed Sette stuff to be top of the line. Their stuff simply works.

Other than calling their stuff generic and cheap, you still havent proved anything at all on why anyone should avoid Sette or how they are failing for everyone.
    we have, please read my last post and apat's post above. we mention that you may want to avoid it if you're looking for quality frames/handlebars/stems/posts made by other name brands. We also mention that they are no better than generic stuff, which may or may not be as of as high quality as name brand tubes. be sure to shop around with Kalloy, or other no name bars when shopping for Sette stuff.

Thats why buying a sette bike is like getting the frame for free, because thats what they are worth. you get what you pay for, nothing more nothing less.

mtbr member
    Dickasaurus,

Dickasaurus? haha I must be getting under your skin for you to misspell my user name like that! I'll take that as a compliment

You might prefer a BMW, I guess I'm humble guy who prefers the V8 rumble of a Corvette engine without the arse warmers of a beemer. Oh I should add I also like the extra cash saved to spend on the 16 oz dry aged bone in NY strip steak you're talking about.

mtbr member
    You guys are also leaving out that big name brands have to support not only big R/D departments but also high price racing sponsorships, advertising, Reps, and shops that need to make a buck off the bikes too.

mtbr member
    You guys are also leaving out that big name brands have to support not only big R/D departments but also high price racing sponsorships, advertising, Reps, and shops that need to make a buck off the bikes too.

I didn't leave that out. I clearly stated above when Specialized went after Epic Design Cycles over the naming issue!

mtbr member
    When you buy a bike at a LBS your not just paying for the bike. Your paying the wage of the salesman, your paying for the utilities of the building, your lifetime frame warranty is included in the price of the bike, and freight delivery. When a LBS includes a "free year of service" its included in the price. When you buy online from anywhere especially from a place in California you dont pay the mark up because they dont need to include those fees in the cost of the bike. The Port is right there so when the bikes come off the boat they go straight to the warehouse to be sold.

Does that account for all of the markup, I honestly dont think so.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think the Ford/BMW is a poor analogy. In bike talk, I'm sure anyone would take an S-Works level frame over a Sette. That's not fair to comapre the two. But How about this... In a couple of weeks Specialized is going to release a "Marathon" level geared only hardtail. It's their take on 7000 series aluminum (and let's admit, nothing that fancy) Retail will be $750. That's absurd, especially when you have Sette at $200, hell even and EMD is less at $500 or what ever...
    Link to SPZ frame?

If you mean this SPZ 29er frame then there is an enormous difference between that and the $200 sette.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...d=39217&eid=99

The sette razzo is a nice and simple hardtail that uses double-butted standard cut 7005 series tubing. It uses standard dropouts, and has a basic powdercoated paoint job.

The specialized marathon uses proprietary M5 tubing, with drastic manipulation in the stays and headtube are. This tubeset is consistently reviewed as being latterly stiffer while vertically more compliant than other standard 7005 setups in a similar weight range (around 3 lbs). It features forged adjustable dropouts so you can run single speed or geared, and the SPZ has an anodized finish. It also comes with a Thomson Elite layback post, seat collar, and custom chainstay protector.

There are also significant geometry differences, with the sette using the standard geo found on just about all the low end alu-hardtails made at that factory with whomevers stickers are on them. The SPZ uses unique geometry that represents over 20 years of fine tuning.

Comparing these two frames is exactly like comparing a BMW to a ford escort. They both will get you down the trail, but you get a lot more bike - a much more refined product - out of the Specialized, which is why it cost more.

mtbr member
    My point is you have to keep the whole buying experience in mind too. You walk in to a shop they fit you to the bike, and then support the bike after the sale. That costs money. Now if you don't need any of that then there is nothing wrong with getting a Sette. If you know what your getting and how to take care of it then grate you should be happy for years with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OK.. then is the Sette better than the Rockhopper frame?
    No. Even the base level rockhopper uses a triple butted M4 proprietary tubeset and comes with a lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    When you buy a bike at a LBS your not just paying for the bike. Your paying the wage of the salesman, your paying for the utilities of the building, your lifetime frame warranty is included in the price of the bike, and freight delivery. When a LBS includes a "free year of service" its included in the price. When you buy online from anywhere especially from a place in California you dont pay the mark up because they dont need to include those fees in the cost of the bike. The Port is right there so when the bikes come off the boat they go straight to the warehouse to be sold.

Does that account for all of the markup, I honestly dont think so.

You have never worked for a shop or you would never say something like that. Most shops just get buy. The owners and the employees that work there don't make allot of money. Most people i know that work in shops or run shops do so because they love the sport. Shops provide invaluable services to the fast majority of bike buyers.

mtbr member
    You have never worked for a shop or you would never say something like that. Most shops just get buy. The owners and the employees that work there don't make allot of money. Most people i know that work in shops or run shops do so because they love the sport. Shops provide invaluable services to the fast majority of bike buyers.
    Lets not turn this into a SUPPORT YOUR LBS thread! We have enough of those.

mtbr member
    No. Even the base level rockhopper uses a triple butted M4 proprietary tubeset and comes with a lifetime warranty.
    What does all that special M4 tubing get you other than a more expensive price? Warranty is included in the price and is only good for manufacturer defects. It is Sette's belief that if there is a defect in the frame it will happen long before 5 years is up.

The guy didn't say which Sette, There is the Reken, Shadow, Impulse, Phantom, Razzo, Flite, Ace, Venom, and Vexx.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    On that point, specialized does not even offer a low end frame with high end componentry the way that sette does. In order to get a complete bike that is comparably specced to the $1200 sette razzo on PP, you would want to look at a SPZ stumpjumper 29 Comp. Almost the same parts spec, except the SPZ has that M5 tubed frame with a lifetime warranty mentioned before, comes fully assembled from a bike shop that would properly fit and adjust it for you, and has - what some would argue - more evolved geometry. It cost a lot more for all these reasons.

On another note, it is laughable the way PP says the Razzo's normal retail price is $2200 considering they are the only company that sells it and always have it priced at $1200. It is like one of those jewelry stores in the mall that is always having a 50% sale. They come up with the price point (no pun intended) that they can offer their product at, double it and call that normal retail, then offer the "huge" discount.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0