Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sette frames. What's your thoughts?

20K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  vack 
#1 ·
I can't imagine them being that bad. 7005 aluminum. The XC frame looks real similar to a Kona Dawg frame (TT & DT ). For the price(s) I wonder if it's worth it for someone who wanted to get into say DH riding to pic up a frame like the Relic and build from there and end up with DH bike that would cost what a normal big name brand frame would run.I am not asking for myself, just curious what the thoughts are.
I also wonder if we get to wrapped up in name brand bikes when there are other nonamers out there that deserve just as much respect. I know Sette makes some good products here and there. Dont know much about their frames. Here's the link to what I am talking about: http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?dept_id=78&deptName=Sette%20Frames&sub_id=&subName=&category=&sort=styleName

Thoughts?

Also, really think about this. When buying a bike for trail riding or when buying parts. What makes you end up purchasing the bike/parts? Name brand? Reputation? For me name brand has alot to do with it. But I also think it goes along with reputation or else the name wouldn't be a good brand.

#3 ·
Bgrafk said:
Man, you're gonna build up another ride? You just finished the 29er.
I need your cash flow :D
No, not til next year. I am broke after the 29'r build. I would like to get a DH bike or a FS 29'r next year. Just curious about these frames for a cheap option. I also need to buy a new house. Did I mention i am unemployed? :p

#4 ·
I buy based on price, reputation and service that I can expect to recieve when I run into troubles- and not in that order. I usually buy from my LBS (Swiss American!) or used from a friend. Name brand only means something if the company builds a good product. I have tried some name brand things that I would not put on a Huffy- and some no name stuff I cannot get to break at all.

#5 ·
I think it would work...

From the pics they don't look all that bad. Just a typical Taiwan made knock off. There are quite a few good bikes that have been and are now made in Taiwan. I think by now, the Taiwanese have frame building down. (I know that statement is un-American, I ride a Titus Switchblade, made in USA).

For the price I think it's a great deal, especially with the 5 year warranty.

I usually buy name brand componets, but I am a lable whore. What can I say?:)

#6 ·
i too end up being a label whore. I ride a trek liquid these days because I like the frame set up.

A buddy of mine rides a Motobecane Fantom Elite, and he loves it. It was a full build with all XT, and rock shox (ughh in my opinion) front & rear. He Kicks my ass on every ride, and he punishes that bike, its still holding up great for $1200.

#7 ·
fiend said:
(I know that statement is un-American, I ride a Titus Switchblade, made in USA).
I say don't concern yourself with where the frame is made. We live in a global society. The whole "Buy American" movement is now a joke, and is even more so regarding products such as automobiles and bikes. If the bike is a good bike, who cares where it was made. Yes, support our country, but I don't think buying American actually does that anymore.

Kona, the Sette frames are probably fairly good bikes. It is possible they are made by the same maker of some big name bike company, like Giant or something, with the Sette name slapped on. I think there have been some threads on Sette in the other forums.

#8 ·
Dirdir said:
I say don't concern yourself with where the frame is made. We live in a global society. The whole "Buy American" movement is now a joke, and is even more so regarding products such as automobiles and bikes. If the bike is a good bike, who cares where it was made. Yes, support our country, but I don't think buying American actually does that anymore.
I agree. The only, & Only reason I now lean towards bigger name bikes, is for the Service. I busted my last trek at the weld climbing a hill at usery (cats peak pass). I wasnt the original owner, but trek actually didnt care, and said the frame should not have broke where it did. they sent me a brand new frame.

So I think as long as sette has a good waranty you are good to go. Double check the reviews, and see if you can find anyone who has owned one, or delt with their warranty dept.

#9 ·
Well, here's what I am thinking. I wouldn't mind getting a downhill bike. BUT, the problem is you have to catch shuttle rides (ok you don't HAVE to but it's better to) and I wouldn't mind doing that every now and then So, this I think would be a cheap option. Dirtluvraz and I were talking today as we were riding out at MMP and for me DH riding wouldn't be the majority of my rides but it would be nice to have the option to do so. That's why I think something like this would be good if you wanted a cheaper route. I do know that my next bike will be a 29"r FS probably by Vicious cycles or Niner, maybe Ventana (they just look to large when built up FS). Vicious is the top dog right now. Steel frame and the rear triangle is made by Titus. ANyway, I am rambling! These Sette frames just peaked my curiosity. Speaking of made in Tiawan.....I believe Kona has thier frames made out there too.

#10 · (Edited)
They're taiwanese catalog frames - meaning it's a stock frame, painted to order, made in a factory along with a bunch of other frames for other companies. Very very very common. Nothing wrong per-se with a catalog frame, Some of the Azonic dh bikes are catalog frames, and they ride great.

for instance, on this page catalog page 3 appears to be the azonic steelhead.

#11 ·
I was looking at the HT frame for someone who wants to build up a cheap light race bike. That price is really hard to beat. And if you have a bunch of parts laying around, it would be even cheaper!

And I disagree with you Dirdir. I think we need to buy more things made in America. Of course, there are also lots of stores I won't shop at and lots of things I won't purchase b/c of where it's made. But it's mostly stuff made in France. My Airborne is a Tiawan made frame and it's amazing. Light, strong, stiff and just smokes on the trail. It's the perfect endurance race bike. So I'd have no problem buying another Tiawan made frame. Although, the DEAN is the best riding bike I've ever owned...and it's made in America!!! (I know the Ti came from somewhere else, but it was manufactured here!)

OK, so I got way off topic but the price is too hard to pass up for someone looking to build a new ride on the cheap.

#12 ·
Yeah but Crash...this is what I find is the problem. Say you buy an american frame. Well, there are bound to be parts on that bike that end up being made in another country. It's kinda like the protestor that stands out on the street with a sign saying "meat is murder" (great Smiths song by the way) and meanwhile they have a leather belt and shoes on. Now I agree that we need to try to buy american when we can and the product is good. But, somethings are just better foreign like in my opinion, vehicles. But I also will not buy anything made in France !!

#13 ·
Yea, not all of the parts can/will be made in America but I try to buy American made products when I can. So I don't see it as being hypocritical as much as understanding that not everything is made in the good ol' US of A. What would be hypociritcal would be me having French parts on there! And I'm glad to hear another non-French buying fella. That's always good news!!!

#17 ·
Holy cow! Is the world coming to an end or did a liberal and a mighty righty agree on something? I think you're commie post is dead on Yuri!

But enough with politics. So who's gonna be the first one to pick up a Sette frame and give it a review?

#18 ·
Crash_FLMB said:
Holy cow! Is the world coming to an end or did a liberal and a mighty righty agree on something? I think you're commie post is dead on Yuri!

But enough with politics. So who's gonna be the first one to pick up a Sette frame and give it a review?
Unless you and Yuri are being way over the top sarcastic, that guy, and the institute he is associated with (ARI), are about as anti-commie as it gets. They are all about a free market and capitalism. I think Binswanger is actually saying that giving preference to American products is like Communism and is anti-Capitalist. Check it out:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_ari

#20 ·
Interesting articles Dirdir. Here is where I stand. I am not overly concerned with where a product is made. I do like to have a general idea but it isn't usually a deal-buster for me. Only when it is a large purchase. Now, when it comes to businesses. I like to support the smaller mom and pop type of stores such as Chinese food, Italian food, auto repair and such. I have family that was put out of business because of corporations like Walmart. But, at times Walmart has something I need. I go where the quality is and the deals are to be found. It could be in America or outside. But i will not willingly buy ANYTHING from France. I had purchased some Hutchinson tires, rode on them a few times, realized they were from France, took them off ! Anybody want them? Free!

PS...If anyone is French here, no offence. I have French blood in me (sad to say). I just don't care for the leadership over there.

#21 ·
Crash_FLMB said:
Crash, If I could get a DH bike put together for $1500.00 with a Sette frame I would probably pic one up. I am going to maybe try to within the next year. For now, I see a FS 29'r on the horizon.

#22 ·
Konapdlr said:
Interesting articles Dirdir. Here is where I stand. I am not overly concerned with where a product is made. I do like to have a general idea but it isn't usually a deal-buster for me. Only when it is a large purchase. Now, when it comes to businesses. I like to support the smaller mom and pop type of stores such as Chinese food, Italian food, auto repair and such. I have family that was put out of business because of corporations like Walmart. But, at times Walmart has something I need. I go where the quality is and the deals are to be found. It could be in America or outside. But i will not willingly buy ANYTHING from France. I had purchased some Hutchinson tires, rode on them a few times, realized they were from France, took them off ! Anybody want them? Free!

PS...If anyone is French here, no offence. I have French blood in me (sad to say). I just don't care for the leadership over there.
That is quite a bit of info. First, your statement - "I like to support the smaller mom and pop type of stores such as Chinese food, Italian food, auto repair and such" made me laugh. I know what you are saying, I think it just came out sounding funny. Second, I hate Wal-Mart. Mostly because every single time I go in one, I get a headache and my stress levels increase. Now, as to the French, I won't go as far as you do, but I do think Hutchinson tires blow. I also know that after all of my extensive travels throughout much of Europe and the Mid-East, the one and only place that I traveled to that made me conclude that I did not like the people was Paris. Not France, just Paris.

#23 ·
Dirdir said:
That is quite a bit of info. First, your statement - "I like to support the smaller mom and pop type of stores such as Chinese food, Italian food, auto repair and such" made me laugh. I know what you are saying, I think it just came out sounding funny. Second, I hate Wal-Mart. Mostly because every single time I go in one, I get a headache and my stress levels increase. Now, as to the French, I won't go as far as you do, but I do think Hutchinson tires blow. I also know that after all of my extensive travels throughout much of Europe and the Mid-East, the one and only place that I traveled to that made me conclude that I did not like the people was Paris. Not France, just Paris.
I should have said.....This has nothing to do with those articles (well, maybe a little bit) but.....I like to support lada, dada, dada....

Does that take the humor out? :p My brain got cooked today out on the trail.

#24 ·
Think a little harder about it......

Dirdir said:
Here is an interesting article by an intersting person on buying American.

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=objectivism_buy_american
I followed the link and read the article. My initial reaction -- It's about what I would expect from someone who lives and works in the protected, idealistic academic world where tenure guarantees a secure job and you can smugly pass judgement on other people without having actually experienced what their lives are all about.

I agree that Dr. Binswanger has some valid points, such as his assertion that "free markets do not depend upon lines drawn on a map" or some of his points about individualism vs. collectivism. However, he completely misses on several very fundamental and crucial aspects. For instance: A nation's wealth is ultimately determined by the products that it produces and how desireable and useful those products are to other people in the world. Any nation that does not fight to protect its ability to produce hard goods (and actively seek to expand that ability) is ultimately destined to lose its wealth and eventually its power and influence in the world. If your country is based upon a service economy, you find yourself becoming a servant to other nations in the world whose economy is based upon the production of useful and needed products. You no longer get to dictate policy and conditions to other countries -- instead they dictate their policy to YOU.

Another critical point the the learned doctor appears to overlook: He implies that American companies are not competitive in a free market. This assumes that all players in that free market are playing by the same rules and have the same relative restrictions and advantages. Ideally, that would be wonderful. The hard truth is that it is simply not the case. For example, many Japanese markets are effectively closed to foreign products -- at least on any large scale. This is especially true for items such as automobiles and electronics. He rejects the notion that we live in a "dog-eat-dog world". He needs to spend a few years working in the world outside of academia to better appreciate just how competitive things really are.

One last thought -- and I admit a subjective bias on this because I am employed by a U.S. car company: The perception that virtually all American-made goods are inferior to Japanese and German products is just not accurate any more -- at least as far as automobiles are concerned. How many people in this country know that Toyota recalled 2.2 Million vehicles last year? In the auto industry we use several metrics to measure the quality of our products and those of our competition. One important measurement is TGW/1000 (Things Gone Wrong per 1000 vehicles). These can be major or minor things gone wrong -- we still count them all. The difference in TGW between Toyota, Honda, Ford and GM is roughly 15-20 items (i.e. less than 0.2%). The difference between Ford and GM vs. German companies is even closer. In fact, we are significantly better than VW, on par with Audi, and very close to Mercedes. My point in all of this is that the perception regarding U.S. automobiles does not match the reality of the facts.

Sorry about the long post -- I just felt that the alternative view needed to be voiced here. :)

#25 ·
FrankinMich said:
One last thought -- and I admit a subjective bias on this because I am employed by a U.S. car company: The perception that virtually all American-made goods are inferior to Japanese and German products is just not accurate any more -- at least as far as automobiles are concerned. How many people in this country know that Toyota recalled 2.2 Million vehicles last year? In the auto industry we use several metrics to measure the quality of our products and those of our competition. One important measurement is TGW/1000 (Things Gone Wrong per 1000 vehicles). These can be major or minor things gone wrong -- we still count them all. The difference in TGW between Toyota, Honda, Ford and GM is roughly 15-20 items (i.e. less than 0.2%). The difference between Ford and GM vs. German companies is even closer. In fact, we are significantly better than VW, on par with Audi, and very close to Mercedes. My point in all of this is that the perception regarding U.S. automobiles does not match the reality of the facts.

Sorry about the long post -- I just felt that the alternative view needed to be voiced here. :)
I'm sorry, but I am not going to buy a car based on TGW. Since I began owning cars, collectively, my wife and I have owned a total of 6 cars. Three American and three Japanese. IMO, the Japanese cars were better overall than the American ones in terms of just about everything that counts - reliability, bang for the buck, and so on.

Regardless of which cars are better, and Dr. Binswagner's piece, I do not believe buying American achieves what is purports to do. You mention "perception". I think the "Buy American" movement is largely just that - "perception". It fits into a nice little package - "Buy American - Support Your Country". It is not that simple. American cars are made in Mexico. Japanese cars are made in America. Go figure. These cars use parts made from all over the place. At the end of the day, the profits these companies make go to some fat cats sitting in their towers. I really don't care if they are Japanese fat cats, American fat cats, or fat cats from Timbucktu.

It simply is a global society. World economics cannot be reduced to a nice little jingo-istic concept that buying American means you are a better American.

#26 ·
Dirdir said:
I think the "Buy American" movement is largely just that - "perception". It fits into a nice little package - "Buy American - Support Your Country". .
It sure helped to get Walmart into the megacorp they are now (in case you don't remember old Sam's original pitch). And now that they are where they are now, how much of the products they sell now Amercian made?

p.s my saturn has been recalled more than my toyota

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.