Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I think the "Buy American" movement is largely just that - "perception". It fits into a nice little package - "Buy American - Support Your Country". .
    It sure helped to get Walmart into the megacorp they are now (in case you don't remember old Sam's original pitch). And now that they are where they are now, how much of the products they sell now Amercian made?

p.s my saturn has been recalled more than my toyota
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    If you read my post carefully, you will note that no where in it do I suggest that anyone "buy American" simply because it is patriotic. I do not believe that someone should be expected to buy a product soley on the basis of where it is made. My point is that the difference in quality between American-made products and Japanese or European made products is miniscule. You summarily dismiss TGW as not being relevant when in fact it is EXACTLY what is important -- it is a metric to objectively quantify the quality of a vehicle. What I presented are facts, not opinion. You cite examples of personally owned American and Japanese cars. I have owned a couple dozen American made cars in my lifetime and I have never had a major issue with any of them. For every "horror story" that can be offered up about American automobiles, you can find a corresponding one about foreign made vehicles. Case in point -- my brother's coworker purchased a brand new Honda a couple months ago. Since then he has had it back to the dealership multiple times and has already had the transmission replaced. I imagine that you could cite a similar tale about an American made car.

The real message that I am trying to convey is that the erosion of American manufacturing capability is a very serious problem that affects all of us, whether you recognize it or not. There is a reason that the Japanese government heavily subsidizes its industries. They realize that wealth and power flow from the production of saleable hard goods. The Japanese do not want their corporations to simply be competitive, they want them to totally dominate the global industry that they are in. You mention profits going to "fat cats" at the top of American companies. Do you honestly believe that there are no Japanese or German "fat cats" in their respective companies? Don't the profits gained by American manufacturing companies also support the livlihoods of several million "regular" people as well? These are the same people that help fund the incomes of people working in the banking, health care, educational, agricultural, retail sales, computer, biotechnology, entertainment and food industries to name a few. As you correctly pointed out in your last post, we are living in a global economy and we are all interconnected.

I guess my bottom line message is: The idea that American-made products are inferior to similar foreign made products is an inaccurate over simplification. To suggest that Americans don't know how to make quality products ignores 200 years of history. The production of hard goods is what built this nation's wealth and power. Americans know how to make high quality products, and we do it every day.

mtbr member

Relic

Sorry to bring this old post back from the dead but ive been considering getting a new bike switiching from my azonic steelhead to a full sus. I was just wondering if anyone did end up buying the frame...it looks great for the price even though its not a big named bike company. I have a friend who always has the best bike of the kids i ride with and he says that it would would probably be crap but with a 5 year warranty it cannot be that bad..right? Idk i was considering a kona howler but the 100 dollar less price caught my eye and now im really thinking about going for it. if i do ill post a review of it she looks strong and that she could take some hits.

Large wheels & one gear
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinjection23
    Sorry to bring this old post back from the dead but ive been considering getting a new bike switiching from my azonic steelhead to a full sus. I was just wondering if anyone did end up buying the frame...it looks great for the price even though its not a big named bike company. I have a friend who always has the best bike of the kids i ride with and he says that it would would probably be crap but with a 5 year warranty it cannot be that bad..right? Idk i was considering a kona howler but the 100 dollar less price caught my eye and now im really thinking about going for it. if i do ill post a review of it she looks strong and that she could take some hits.
    If it is only a $100 dollar difference, I would get the Kona. The Sette frame could even be made at the same plant as say Kona (in Tiawan) and be cheaper because it is Pricepoints "inhouse" brand. But, for the small price difference, I would stick with the Kona. Just my .02
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

more beers, lees gears.
    im the other way on this. I say save the $100, and get nicer parts. I hate when I see people on a nice frame with crap parts.

I have a friend with an intense 5.5 evp. Its a nice frame. But my buddy spent so much on the frame the parts seem to lack. Where I have a trek liquid (way cheaper frame), but I spent the rest of the money on all XT components.

I have ridden the intense, 200 miles in a 24 hour event to be exact. I'd take my trek any day over the intense because the parts.

To sum it up. Buy the nicest parts you can, while still getting a good frame. If saving the $100 would allow you to get XT over Deore, Save the $100. Nobody keeps frames verylong anyway. I tend to get a new frame every year and half (for some reason), but I have had the same nice rims for 4 years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Relic

Anyone pony'd up and bought this frame yet?

mtbr member
    The Ridick weighs in at a hefty 7.5lbs...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mine's built, here's the specs:

FOX Float 36 RC2 on the front/ DHX air 5.0 on the rear.

Mavic Crossmax XL's with Specalized 2.0 tires

XT Drivetrain (Hollowtech II)

XT M755 Brakes 203 fr/rr

Easton Monkey lite carbon 31.6 mid rise bar w/ODI ruffian grips

Maverick Spedball post

Shimano PD-M647 DX pedals

Tipped the scales @ 31.8 lbs.

All in all, I'm happy w/ it but there are some shortcomings.

1st is the assembly quality. The build quality is great, clean welds, nice machine work ect.
    Mine tried to come apart on me after less than 50 miles. Not a huge issue unless you're on vacation 1k miles frome home. Cost nothing but time to fix, just stripped it down, cleaned everything up & reassembled it w/ a little locktite blue and it's been fine since. Take that step b4 you build it up & you should be fine.

Next is the link between the shock & the rear subframe. It's 20m wide with teflon coated steel bushings riding on aluminum pivot pins. The bushings disintegrated after 20 miles, & the steel bushings scored the pins To pricepoints credit they sent me a new one, no questions, which promptly did the same thing.

Problem is the bushings, they are only 3mm wide, & can't support the loads. I did a google search & found the same bushings, only 9mm wide, for $20.00. Problem seems to be solved.

Would I do it again? Jury is still out on that one, I can't get the rear dialed like I want it, too much sag, & that slackens the head angle more than I like. The fact that I'm 6'0 230# probably has more to do with that than the design of the bike. I have the shock @ 300psig.

I'm going to order heavier spring for the 4way & see if that will fix the problem.

As I stated, I'm a large dude, & I've ridden the **** out of this thing for about 300 miles in the last few months, & once the kinks were worked out it's held up fine.

For $459.00 to my door, even with the new busings & a few hours of my labor, still seems like a bargan.

Keep you posted.

Bob

1 Cor 10:31
    May 2008
    Is sette like Ibex?? http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-FRM-Details.html
    I appreciate this post...it's very confusing how two frames can look so much alike yet are hundreds of dollars apart in price ( love the comment on the intense frames! )

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by mooreplusone
    Is sette like Ibex?? http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-FRM-Details.html
    I appreciate this post...it's very confusing how two frames can look so much alike yet are hundreds of dollars apart in price ( love the comment on the intense frames! )

This is an old thread, but yes Ibex and Sette are made in the same factory in Taiwan along with Azonic and a bunch of other bikes.

Dooosh!
    Check out this months MB Action. There is a small write up on the new Sette Vex. According to the mag, "Sette has a reputation for building solid bikes at affordable prices." I have also been looking at there frames and want to build a niner. Where else can you get a niner frame for 2 hundo? Guess no one will know unless somebody pulls the trigger....

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by BRA DOG
    Where else can you get a niner frame for 2 hundo? Guess no one will know unless somebody pulls the trigger....
    You can support a local company for a little more than $200 and get a much nicer bike in the process.

http://www.ridesoul.com/dillingerg2.html

Chad usually has closeout or minor blem frames he sells for around $250.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does anyone reading this understand that 90% of bike frames are made in the same factory in TAIWAN!!!!!?????
    There is only a few bikes truley made in America, This is true even of italian bikes, MADE IN ASIA TOWN.
    Back to the SETTEs, I ride circles around this dudes Pitch, and Yeti, his bikes are a brand new joke. I love my Sette XC2, never a problem tough as nails. Im buying another model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Back to the topic... My thought is why does the sette, and the drako frames come with a 2009 fox float rp2 shock... Maybe someone here cane explain it b/c pricepoint couldn't....

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I have a Sette Razzo. I love it, one of the best Hard Tails I've ridden. I've been riding for 15 years now. The Razzo is every bit as good as any brand name bike I've owned, Trek, Cannondale, Intense, Felt, GT, Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've owned my Razzo 1.0 since May and have been nothing but happy! Ride is smooth and handling spot on! Managed to get my first CAT2 XC win on one last week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Chrome Sette

I've seen one pic posted but would like to know where I can snag one. I know pricepoint is a distributor but have seen anything other than the black/blue/white color scheme. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Konapdlr;1753000]I can't imagine them being that bad. 7005 aluminum. The XC frame looks real similar to a Kona Dawg frame (TT & DT ). For the price(s) I wonder if it's worth it for someone who wanted to get into say DH riding to pic up a frame like the Relic and build from there and end up with DH bike that would cost what a normal big name brand frame would run.I am not asking for myself, just curious what the thoughts are.
    I also wonder if we get to wrapped up in name brand bikes when there are other nonamers out there that deserve just as much respect. I know Sette makes some good products here and there. Dont know much about their frames. Here's the link to what I am talking about: at Price Point

Thoughts? same frame with a poser bike brand label...same thing, except twice the price for the label. You want to pay some "american company" for something they outsource to where ever? not me.It burns me that specialized has most of their frames built by Giant and the greedy bastards pocket the profits,pollute the pimped out country as much as they want and pay the workers a pittance. your screwed either way if your an american.about the only frames made here are high end carbon fiber poop.

]

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Yes, and Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr View Post
    Thoughts?

Also, really think about this. When buying a bike for trail riding or when buying parts. What makes you end up purchasing the bike/parts? Name brand? Reputation? For me name brand has alot to do with it. But I also think it goes along with reputation or else the name wouldn't be a good brand.
    Build quality and design is what I look for first. I've been a Pricepoint customer for a few years, very happy with the quality of the items I've ordered. A companies good reputation is important to me, when they treat customers right, they earn my business. Yes on reputation alone, I would consider a Sette frame or bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I built up and have been riding a Sette Razzo Carbon 29er and it built up perfectly and is my new favorite bike. For what you get: Very lightweight, internal cable routing, two water bottle cage capability, tapered headtube, 5 year warranty, and now reduced $100 to $699.99 it is by far one of the best bargain priced carbon frames on the planet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    If anyone is interested, I have a Small Razzo frame in Polished Alumin. I rode it for one season, realized it was too small for me so I stepped up to a Medium. I'm 5'10. Headset comes with it and is fine, the BB needs to be replaced however, the Cups and bearings are still in the frame. If interested let me know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2