Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Sette Ace XC - Race Worthy?

This actually looks as though it is a well made bike and the suspension layout is very similar to the Rocky Mountain Element. I have read a couple of reviews that have the rear shock as being questionable, but that could always be replaced if need be. I would ride the medium which only weighs 5.55 lbs, so the weight is really competitive to "higher end" frames like the Epic and Anthem. The HT angle is only 70 degrees, but that is still steeper than a Scalpel, plus I would probably run my 80mm Skareb to steepen things up a bit. I guess I would just like to know what you guys think. Buy a bigger name such as the Anthem or Epic or take a chance with the Sette. Truth be known, they are probably made at the same factory. Also, any shared experiences with this frame would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/164...pe-SRL-Air.htm
    Last edited by Flat Ark; 01-17-2008 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    I've been looking at this frame as well. Any thoughts, comments or input is appreciated.

line em up, load em tight
    well, the anthem is made in the "light metal facility". which specializes in ultra lightweight alloys and hydroforming. the sette is not made there The geometry on the anthem is hands down the most aggressive out there. I don't consider the epic a fast bike. it rides like a boat due to the ultra long rear end. buy the anthem.....you won't regret it.
    346 cubic inch aluminum smallblocks/26 inch wheels and 1:1 Teh tech pwns me.

mtbr member
    I just ordered my Sette Ace on Friday and I can't wait. I've been hammering my hard tail down National Trail for a few months now and I had to break down and go full suspension. I was hesitant buying such a cheap frame, but I've read nothing but great reviews about this bike. I'm a "weight freak" so the 5.4 lb frame was definitely a high point. I get off just as much on the technical climbs as I do on the nasty decents so a good climber was a must. My components are really nice, so I'm hoping to put together a worthy XC racer. I'll post pictures when I put it together.

Anyone in here had this frame for a while? Any reviews, good or bad, are very appreciated.
    Last edited by GoodStash; 01-27-2008 at 09:51 AM.

WTF
    It looks to me to be almost identical to a titus racer x. but that is just me, i haven't looked that hard, but it is definatly my next bike, i own several sette products and the are all solid.
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan034
    It looks to me to be almost identical to a titus racer x. but that is just me, i haven't looked that hard, but it is definatly my next bike, i own several sette products and the are all solid.
    The Racer X has a Horst link, which means that it has a pivot at the back of the chain stay, where as the Sette has a pivot at the back of the "seat stay". I have never ridden a bike with either so I can't say how one differs from the other. The Rocky Mountain Element's suspension is set up pretty much identical to the Sette though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    The Racer X has a Horst link, which means that it has a pivot at the back of the chain stay, where as the Sette has a pivot at the back of the "seat stay". I have never ridden a bike with either so I can't say how one differs from the other. The Rocky Mountain Element's suspension is set up pretty much identical to the Sette though.
    Even at that, the Element's suspension is much different. They are both "faux bar" bikes with the shock mount on the top tube, but that's about it.

To the OP: There are an infinite number of posts on this board espousing how one frame is exactly the same as another. I've even done it myself, "gee, that house brand frame sure looks like a ____________" and many house brand frames do come out of the same factories as much better known frames. The problem with these statements lies much more in FS bikes than hardtails. With a hardtail, if it came from a decent factory, has the right geometry and tubing, you can pretty much bet that it will ride decently. FS bikes are a whole different beast. Moving a suspension pivot a few mm in either direction can drastically change a bikes ride, as evidenced by the plethora of single pivot bikes out there where some ride brilliantly and others are beasts. These minor changes often have to be made to avoid patent issues, creating dopplegangers that look the same but ride differently.

Alright, now that is out of the way. The frame looks decent, but find some people that have time in the saddle before you lay down your cash.

mtbr member
    Alright, now that is out of the way. The frame looks decent, but find some people that have time in the saddle before you lay down your cash
    Too late. Frame is on the way, but at $500.00, I can hardly go wrong. Even if I don't love the frame, I can get my money's worth out of it for a year or so and then buy something else. From the reviews I've read though, (only about ten or so.) I think I'm gonna be just fine. Worst comes to worst, I always have my reliable hardtail...
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodStash
    Too late. Frame is on the way, but at $500.00, I can hardly go wrong. Even if I don't love the frame, I can get my money's worth out of it for a year or so and then buy something else. From the reviews I've read though, (only about ten or so.) I think I'm gonna be just fine. Worst comes to worst, I always have my reliable hardtail...
    My post wasn't meant to be super pessimistic. It is quite likely that the frame will ride just fine.

mtbr member
    I think that I am going to go with a "used" Anthem or Scalpel. The reason that I was looking at the Sette is because bike makers are ripping us new ones on full suspension frames. I know that they have R&D cost, but it is still just a bike frame. They add a couple of pivots and a shock compared to a hard tail.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Yo GoodStash. Did you get this frame yet? Just wondering because I am interested in it too for a parts swap from my hardtail. I am not a XC guy but my trailbike is a little too long-legged for the XC stuff. When I do the XC stuff, my hardtail kills my back so I understand the desire to do a swap on the cheap! When you get it, let us fellow Phoenicians know so we can check it out.
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 02-09-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    You GoodStash. Did you get this frame yet? Just wondering because I am interested in it too for a parts swap from my hardtail. I am not a XC guy but my trailbike is a little too long-legged for the XC stuff. When I do the XC stuff, my hardtail kills my back so I understand the desire to do a swap on the cheap! When you get it, let us fellow Phoenicians know so we can check it out.

Yes, I got the frame on Wednesday. I'm going out of town today and will back on Sunday, probably have the bike built my Monday evening, Tuesday at the latest. And you can be sure that it will be ridden hard immediately. After a few rides, I'll post a mini review and pictures...
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Well, after what seemed to be the longest week of my life, my bike is finally finished. Until this day, I’d never believed in “love at first sight”. I’ll give everyone a mini review for those who were interested in this frame. Disclaimer: I’ve only ridden this bike on two rides for a total of about 4 hours. I’m in no way, shape, or form an expert. I’ll update this thread as I find necessary.

Here is a break down of the bike:
    Derailleur: SRAM X9 in the back, X7 up front, and X5 shifters
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7’s
    Handle bars: Race Face Next SL carbon 1.5” rise
    Headset: Race Face Dues XC
    Fork: Fox F-Series RLC100
    Crank set: Race Face Dues XC
    Pedals: Candy Bros. Smarties
    Seat post: Bontrager ACC carbon lite
    Saddle: WTB Silverado
    Shocks: Manitou SRL-Type
    Tires: Smoke/Dart Classic combo.
    Weight: 27.3 lbs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was the first FS bike I’ve since a ProFlex in 1992. I’d always thought that only a hard tail could climb the things I like to climb. Well, to my satisfaction, I was proven wrong…well, mostly. I went up a trail with some pretty technical climbs today and while I did very well for the most part, I found myself putting down my foot in areas that I’d climbed numerous times in the past. It almost felt like there was a delayed reaction when I needed to hammer it the hardest. Towards the end though, I realized that this was just how this bike felt and that if I kept going with steady motion, I would roll right over those tough spots. I’m anxious to go back to those other sections to see if I can climb them now that I’m more used to the feel. Although I’d felt like I was climbing a little sluggish, I’d actually gotten to the top faster than usual.

I’m sure I don’t even need to mention how much more fun I had coming down. I found myself cruising down without even thinking about my brakes in sections where my bike used to bounce all over the place forcing me to take it easy. Instead of jerking down technical rocky areas, I almost felt like my bike was conforming to the trail like a snake. I was amazed at how smooth this ride felt. I had people telling me all the time that I would enjoy the benefits of a FS bike and I’m glad I found out. I’m rebuilding my hard tail and will definitely still take her out every once in a while, but I can strongly say that I have been converted over to the darkside, and I’m no longer a “hardcore Hardtailer”
    Last edited by GoodStash; 02-09-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Just Joshin' ya!
    That is pretty nice looking. Keep us updated on the climbing ability. Did you notice a lot of suspension bob in the rear when you hammered pretty hard?
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    That is pretty nice looking. Keep us updated on the climbing ability. Did you notice a lot of suspension bob in the rear when you hammered pretty hard?

Thanks. I noticed it compared to a hard tail, but I wouldn't say I noticed "a lot". Unfortunately, I haven't riden a lot of FS frames to be able to compare. I did demo an Enduro which had a lot of bob compared to what I have, but I think it's supposed to. I'm stoked to take it out again and I'll definitely keep the thread updated.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I noticed it compared to a hard tail, but I wouldn't say I noticed "a lot". Unfortunately, I haven't riden a lot of FS frames to be able to compare. I did demo an Enduro which had a lot of bob compared to what I have, but I think it's supposed to. I'm stoked to take it out again and I'll definitely keep the thread updated.

Any updates on this? I am looking at getting this frame and doing a parts swap with my Stumpjumper HT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Snail
    Any updates on this? I am looking at getting this frame and doing a parts swap with my Stumpjumper HT.
    I'm also looking at this frame. Would love to hear any updates good or bad.

mtbr member
    Will my Fox F80 RL fork work with this frame? I know it only has 80mm of travel, but I like the fork and just had it Pushed. Plus, I don't really have the $ to shell out for a new one. Will having a fork with only 80mm mess up the geometry?

mtbr member
    Shoot, guys! I would've reposted earlier, but I haven't been on in a bit. I have nothing bad to say about this bike. I've taken this bike out an average of four times a week since I got it so at this point if I was going to dislike something, I would've found it by now. I'm able to climb things now that I was never able to climb before. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with experience/practice, but on big rocks where my back tire would always lose it's grip on my HT, I just roll right up and over on my Sette. I'm not sure what I had on it when I first posted, but I've put on Mallet M pedals, and a Sunline all-mountain stem. The bike is tits I usually lock out the shock on fire road climbs, but on technical single track, I really feel more comfortable with that extra kush. Downhill, I'm nailing sh*t that I'd never hit, I'm gliding off of big drops without even thinking twice. The comfort is obvious, but the control is amazing. I would recommend this frame in a heart beat...

will work to bike
    Jul 2006
    just got this frame in yesturday.. waiting for all my other parts to come in.

what i got so far:

Sette Ace frame 18.5in
    mavic 717 disc wheelset
    Avid BB7
    Avid Ti speed dials
    Shimano XT shifter
    Shimano XT front and rear deraillers
    Truvativ Stylo crank
    Sette XLR Low Riser Handlebar
    Sette Edge Stem
    FSA Pig Headset
    Sette APX Alloy White Seatpost
    Sette Sonic Saddle

mtbr member
    Here is a break down of the bike:
    Derailleur: SRAM X9 in the back, X7 up front, and X5 shifters
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7’s
    Handle bars: Race Face Next SL carbon 1.5” rise
    Headset: Race Face Dues XC
    Fork: Fox F-Series RLC100
    Crank set: Race Face Dues XC
    Pedals: Candy Bros. Smarties
    Seat post: Bontrager ACC carbon lite
    Saddle: WTB Silverado
    Shocks: Manitou SRL-Type
    Tires: Smoke/Dart Classic combo.
    Weight: 27.3 lbs.
    I'm surprised your bike isn't lighter. Maybe your wheelset is heavy and maybe those Panaracers aren't light but with a 5.5 lb frame, that fork, Juicy 7s and those carbon bits I would have thought this would come in around 25.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-XC-Justin
    I'm surprised your bike isn't lighter. Maybe your wheelset is heavy and maybe those Panaracers aren't light but with a 5.5 lb frame, that fork, Juicy 7s and those carbon bits I would have thought this would come in around 25.
    Not quite 25 lbs., but I did have it weighed on a proper scale last time I took it in and it weighed closer to 26.6. This could also be because I've upgraded the stem and changed the tires since my first weigh in. I'm definitely having the shock replaced in a couple of months. I want something more adjustable and I think I have a bad seal in this one because I noticed the sag increases after every ride and when I check the pressure it usually reads about 50 psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkizer
    just got this frame in yesturday.. waiting for all my other parts to come in.

what i got so far:

Sette Ace frame 18.5in
    mavic 717 disc wheelset
    Avid BB7
    Avid Ti speed dials
    Shimano XT shifter
    Shimano XT front and rear deraillers
    Truvativ Stylo crank
    Sette XLR Low Riser Handlebar
    Sette Edge Stem
    FSA Pig Headset
    Sette APX Alloy White Seatpost
    Sette Sonic Saddle

Sounds sweet!! Make sure to post pictures after it's put together...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Update?

mtbr member
    here's mine... hope you like my biuld.

Frame: Sette Ace 16.5"
    Rear Shock: Manitou S-Type SRL air
    Fork: Fox 32 F100R
    Handlebar: Easton EC70 CNT XC
    Bar Ends: Ritchey WCS Short (cut)
    Brake Levers: Shimano XT BL-M775
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Gripshift