Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Zero Miles from Myself
    I am still waiting on the funds to buy this frame, but looks like all you folks are having a hoot on it. Keep those ride reports coming.

I just thought those cranks were "cute" .... but on a more serious note, Just spotted some nice forks. Wish I could get it for my current bike, but For someone building up a weight wennie Ace right now this could be a good deal. Candy Red manitou R7 Fork at under 3 lbs (claimed) for under $300. They are all over the online stores right now, but Jenson has the 80mm version and Cambra has the 100 mm version. Nice and Light Reviews here on MTBR are pretty decent too.

Do an ebay search on "Manitou R7" and you will find white and black similar versions for about the same priice.

Live free and Ride Hard!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstang01
    Here are a some pics of the ace after the first test ride. tell me what yall think!
    Looks good How was your ride?
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Here are a some pics of the ace after the first test ride. tell me what yall think!
    It looks great. How does it ride? How does it handle?
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Live free and Ride Hard!
    Well After the first test ride in a empty parking lot I decided to enter a local race with the ace(never ridden on the trail). I can honestly say that the ace far surpassed my expectations from a frame that was had for such a low price. Coming from a hard tail I was very pleased how smoothly rocks and roots were soaked up by the FS but it still climbed like a goat. Handling was also great and I felt I had more traction going through turns due to the rear tire staying planted. Its hard to offer a comparison to other FS bikes because I have limited time on them but compared to a superlight this bike was just as good if not better, at 1/3 the price!

Zero Miles from Myself
    So you have had some time on a Santa Cruz Superlight ? Odd that you bring that up, that was the very frame I had my eye on before I came across the Ace several months back. Are you saying (in your opintion) this rides as nice as a superlight? Any cross comparisons? I am very interested.

Smarter Than He Looks
    but compared to a superlight this bike was just as good if not better, at 1/3 the price!
    How do you figure 1/3 the price? You can get a brand new Superlight D_XC build from Cambria for $1500.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+MOUNTAIN+BIKE

Could you build the same bike on a Sette Ace for $1500?

Live free and Ride Hard!
    ummm okay sinker it was just a guess, My point was that It could be had for less

mrm1-Don't get me wrong the superlight is a great bike and I highly recommend one for anybody wanting a single pivot. But I do think the ace handles and performs just as well for less money

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Blackstang, i hope you know the ace is truely a single pivot aswell. There is only one pivot between the frame and the rear wheel on both of those. They only differ on how the range of motion is transfered to the shock. I believe the offical term for the ace's suspension is called a 'faux bar'

Smarter Than He Looks
    ummm okay sinker it was just a guess, My point was that It could be had for less

mrm1-Don't get me wrong the superlight is a great bike and I highly recommend one for anybody wanting a single pivot. But I do think the ace handles and performs just as well for less money
    No problem. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass either, but seriously aren't you pretty close to $1500 with your build? I'm still trying to decide on my next bike and even if the Sette Ace is a great frame for $500, you still need a fork, wheels, drivetrain, brakes, cranks, BB, headset, etc.

Zero Miles from Myself
    While that is true on the Cambria Superlight deal, it is the entry level superlight build ... but it is a great deal. But try to go and buy just a superlight frame, while the ace may not be quit a third the price, if you already have the components the deal starts looking pretty sweet at that point.

But that is where my problem comes in. I would be doing a parts swap from my 04 Marin. Would work except seat post, clamp, Frt DR and cables .... BUT .... my parts are 04 and entry level. Any much upgrading has me spending near what the Superlight you site would cost with better parts OR say an Ibex Asta Comp with better parts. This is why I stay on the fence with the Ace build. But of the 3, I like the look and "whiteness" of the Ace the best.

Live free and Ride Hard!
    I hear ya mrm1...... I had the same delimma your facing a few weeks ago when deciding to build up the ace or just by a asta X7. My initial thought was to swap all the parts over from my GF wahoo but transition bikes is having a clearance and I picked up FD, LH and RH shifters for 13 bucks a piece. So now I have a full 9 speed conversion and i couldn't be happier. The new X7 drive train is WAY worth the money compared to my old shimano 8 speed, The shifts are so quick and smooth it's mind blowing!

And my frame came with a clamp, but I order one so you have one less part to buy if you want it my extra

Live free and Ride Hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by uncomplientspud
    Blackstang, i hope you know the ace is truely a single pivot aswell. There is only one pivot between the frame and the rear wheel on both of those. They only differ on how the range of motion is transfered to the shock. I believe the offical term for the ace's suspension is called a 'faux bar'
    I'm not very experienced on the FS bike design lingo as of yet but slowly getting up to speed. So the Ace and the Racer-X share the same design(faux bar) am i right? just curious

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Glad that you brought up that question Blackstang. I assume that you are are talking of the titus x racer. As i know that uses the horst link on that suspension. THe horst link is patented by spec and used on all of their bikes. It has two pivots between the frame and the the hub. Giant uses the masto (sp) sysem and i believe iron horse uses the DW link which from what i saw seem to be similar but differ in link placement, length ect.

If you are worried about what all these means do.n't worry. Different setups will yield different axle paths as the suspension travels. That then gives different feed back to you on the bike in the form of several effects.

I hope this doesn't scare you off the ace, FYI trek uses a faux bar set up on their race FS xc bikes aswell

Just Joshin' ya!

Compared to the Superlight

Comparing frame to frame, you will find that the superlight has tighter geometry (shorter wheelbase, steeper head angle, steep seat angle, lower stand over, and lower bb height) and will out turn and out handle the Ace. The Ace is a little more slack and has a longer wheelbase so it is possible that it might be a better descender. Also, its higher BB height will allow it to get up and over obstacles just a bit easier. According to published weights, the Ace is slightly lighter by a couple of ounces.

Both the Superlight and the Ace use a single pivot. The Ace has a single pivot linkage however but I would bet that in the pedaling department both are probably similar. As far as stiffness, I am not sure, but the Superlight is pretty freaking stiff. I have yet to ride an Ace so I can't compare in that area.

Both have a 50 mm shock stroke which means that they will feel pretty plush for a XC bike. this is a nice 2:1 leverage ratio which can't be beat!

As for the shock, with the Superlight frame, you get a Fox Float R for 899 (on sale at competitive cyclist) which you can really only adjust the rebound. On the Ace, you get a Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 with an adjustable pedaling platform and lockout for only 499.

So, just looking at the frame, the Ace is 400 dollars cheaper and has a shock with more adjustment. It is probably more stable through the rough stuff. The superlight is a proven xc winner that will out turn the Ace easily and has a reputation as being a really good pedaler. In a race, I would take the Santa Cruz. In a more trailbike situation, I would probably go with the Ace.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    So, just looking at the frame, the Ace is 400 dollars cheaper and has a shock with more adjustment. It is probably more stable through the rough stuff. The superlight is a proven xc winner that will out turn the Ace easily and has a reputation as being a really good pedaler. In a race, I would take the Santa Cruz. In a more trailbike situation, I would probably go with the Ace.
    Again, not trying to be a jerk, just looking at the bottom line. The SL D XC build from Cambria for $1500 is a pretty nicely spec'd bike. Not top-shelf, but pretty nice. Cambria is paying wholesale prices on the SL frame (not $899), Rockshox fork, Shimano drivetrain parts, Avid brakes, etc.

Starting with a $499 frame and paying retail for the same build kit, could you build a Sette Ace for $1500?.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    Again, not trying to be a jerk, just looking at the bottom line. The SL D XC build from Cambria for $1500 is a pretty nicely spec'd bike. Not top-shelf, but pretty nice. Cambria is paying wholesale prices on the SL frame (not $899), Rockshox fork, Shimano drivetrain parts, Avid brakes, etc.

Starting with a $499 frame and paying retail for the same build kit, could you build a Sette Ace for $1500?.
    I am just talking about a frame to frame build.

If price point put those same parts on the Ace and did their own build, they would easily come in much cheaper. That is the power of a company buying parts in bulk.

The D XC build on the 2009 superlight is a really good deal for sure. I think it is an awesome bike. The reason some people like the Ace is because it is probably a good frame if you have a hardtail and want to swap parts. I could do that with my hardtail and the only extra cost would be getting a different seat post.

That is much cheaper than a brand new Superlight. According to other's experience, they are happy with the performance of the Ace, so why not try it if you don't have 1500 dollars plus shipping to spend?

Zero Miles from Myself
    NMP, that is the best comparison of a Superlight I have ever read. The highter BB height Ace would be Key over the Superlight as I am presently use to a really hi BB hight. upwards of 13.5" and the ACE is 13". With the 12,25 of the SL I would probably bang the ground for a month.

One other thing I do not know, When I brought up a Superlight to a salesman in an LBS (who use to work at another LBS that sold superlights), he told me the Superlights are prone to frame cracks on the chain stays behind the seat tub/BB hub. Never heard of that before. Any ideas?

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker

Now you can compare. Weird that we were just pondering all of this.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=18722

Zero Miles from Myself
    An Ace Build .... Oh My !

Is this frame coming of age?

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Now you can compare. Weird that we were just pondering all of this.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=18722

Cool! That's a very nice build at a great price.

I'm a little surprised at the weight (29.8lbs for a Medium). Certainly not a porker, but more than I would have guessed. Are the Travativ cranks & BB fairly heavy? Maybe the no-name stems, bars, saddles are beefy, too.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Price Point Ace build:

FWIW - In looking close, it is not the same shock on the full build as the frame.

Monarch 2.1 on the build / Monarch 3.3 on the Frame.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1
    Price Point Ace build:

FWIW - In looking close, it is not the same shock on the full build as the frame.

Monarch 2.1 on the build / Monarch 3.3 on the Frame.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Boo....However, the 2.1 is equivalent to the Fox Float R if you look at adjustments, so it is probably a more fair comparison.

Zero Miles from Myself
    So I am back to the idea of a build. Not because the components on the build Ace are not better than what I have (they probably are), but I like the idea of building up an Ace Frame with a fork like the Manitou R7. That for is really lite and even with my components could end up having a something weighs under 28 and could only go down from there.

mtbr member
    Hi, everyone! Sorta going off the subject here.

I've been looking at this frame for a few days, but was wondering for those who have it or know more about it can clarify a few things for me.

1. Is the bottom bracket painted? Does it need to be faced? I currently have the Hollowtech II BB.
    2. Are there spare rear derailleur hangers readily available? Just in case I break one.
    3. I've also heard that pivot bearings need to be replaced once in awhile, are they readily available?

I don't want to get stuck down the road, because I cannot get parts for the bike....

Thanks

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast