Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any updates guys? I'm looking at getting this frame for my fist FS mountain bike. I want to hear it all, the good, the bad, the ugly. How are the Monarchs holding up to millage? Any tips on building this frame up?

mtbr member
    Finally got her together

I don't know how much she weighs, she feels light.

bars: race face xc
    brakes: j7
    shifters: x9
    headset: ck
    fork: 08 rock shox sid team
    wheels: xt hubs, champ spokes, & lim ed dt swiss 4.2
    cassette: SRAM PG990 11-32
    chain: SRAM PC991
    Seatpost: Thompson Masterpiece
    Stem: Race Face XC
    Cranks: RaceFace Dues
    Front Derailleur: XT
    Rear Derailleur: x9
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.1
    Seat: sette lynx

I still have to fine tune the shifting, trim the pars a bit, and set up my stans no tubes. Will go first ride Thursday or Saturday. I would go tomorrow, but works been pretty busy.

I'll post a ride report later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Very nice! I like the white rims and is that white shifer cable housing I see? Good job with the aesthetics.
    Now do you plan to race this bike?

NedwannaB

Nice set up!

[QUOTE=Hyperbolik]Finally got her together[QUOTE]

Can't imagine why they have this frame spec'd for a 100-120mm fork. Anything more then a 100 seems too raked for an xc set up.

Giant Anthem Rider

Sette Ace Frame, Anyone have the real weight on this frame?

Just wondering what the actual weight was on these frames. Just about every manufacturer underestimates the actual weights on their products. There's no reason to believe PP/Sette would be right on target with their estimates.

I just purchased a complete 2006 Anthem 3 for $650 on Ebay ...then I read this thread. I still feel good, but it caught my interest. I'm going to keep the Anthem frame and R7 fork and sell the remaining parts.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I think the 5.3 lbs weight for the medium with shock is correct. Back last summer thay had pics of the frames hanging on a Alpine Digital Bicycle Scale and that was the numbers on the scale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    a little late... But definitely race worthy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jyeager
    Very nice! I like the white rims and is that white shifer cable housing I see? Good job with the aesthetics.
    Now do you plan to race this bike?
    Thanks! I don't plan on racing this year. Maybe next year if I can get myself into race shape. Right now I'm just enjoying the rides.

I took my first ride yesterday. Climbing was easier, as this bike is way lighter than my Marin HT. The down hills were comfortable. The full suspension definitely did it's job.

The only negative things I found with this set up is that it didn't hold its speed as well as my Marin. Also it didn't corner as well on tight switch backs. This could be because I have to get used to the bike still. I'm sure the higher BB height contributed to this today. I'm gonna get some good riding in tomorrow and Sunday. I should have a better feel for the bike by then.

So far this bike gets

Zero Miles from Myself
    Any ideas why you think it "does not hold its speed"?

mtbr member
    It's probably 5 lbs lighter than my HT, maybe more. I haven't weighed it yet. That's just my best estimate. The 1 semester of college physics tells me that less mass = less momentum, or something to that effect. It's been a decade since i took the class, so....

NedwannaB

No college physics here but

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolik
    It's probably 5 lbs lighter than my HT, maybe more. I haven't weighed it yet. That's just my best estimate. The 1 semester of college physics tells me that less mass = less momentum, or something to that effect. It's been a decade since i took the class, so....
    Lighter means you should be able to....pedal it faster maybe?? If you have been pedaling a 30lb. hardtail for awhile I would think anywayz.......

mtbr member
    I can pedal it faster , but when costing down hill, my ht would stay at speed longer.

For example, going downhill w/out pedaling i can coast to stop to a tree on my heavier Marin. On my lighter Sette, the coast would stop 10 yard before the tree. That's what it feels like anyway. I haven't done andy testing or measuring. Don't get me wrong, the lighter Sette does, climb and accelerate faster up hill. Just coasting speed decelerates faster with the lighter Sette.

Going down and up technical stuff the Sette is way better. I went down stuff today way faster than I would have gone on my Hardtail Marin, loose rocks and ruts everywhere. On my Marin were I would usually jam on my brakes, I lightly feathered the Sette.

I used about 85% of the rear suspension too. The sag is set at 20%, in case you were wondering. A lot of that 85% percent may be due to me pumping though dips and rollers. I'm loving the rear suspension.

Another negative may be the white, maybe. It's so easy to see when it's dirty. I have already spent more time cleaning the Sette than I've spent in 2 years of owning the Marin. I don't know if that's good or bad. It could also be because the total build was around $2k vs the $500 on the Marin.

NedwannaB

I figured that's what you ment

I can pedal it faster , but when costing down hill, my ht would stay at speed longer.
    May be that the rear suspension is taking some of the rolling enertia out too, more so then the lighter weight factor. I know my ht seems to coast better then my fs.

Good value on these. I've been hedging back and forth on picking up one of the Ace or Flite frames, now I see they've thrown some resonably priced carbon ht frames on the site, greaaaate......

renaissance cyclist
    Just out of curiosity, do you feel a little more upright on this bike than the HT? Were you running the Nevgals on the HT or something else? I would think that rolling resistance, and aerodynamics would be the two biggest factors that might slow you down while coasting. The stem looks a little short, which could leave you more upright, causing you to push more air with your chest and the Nevgals, although great for traction, have a pretty aggressive tread pattern and might cause a little more resistance when compared to something like a SB8. Just a guess

mtbr member
    The tires could have a factor. I run a longer stem and the handle bar height on my HT is higher. The stem height on the Marin is 70 vs the 80 on the Sette. The handle bars have about the same rise, but the sette has on spacer below the stem while the marin has 3. The fork on my Marin is 120mm. I'm probably more upright on my HT more leaned over on the new bike, so I don't think aerodynamics has much to do with the quicker slow downs.

I don't know if the xt hub on my sette vs. the mavic crossrides on my HT has anything to do with it either.

As for the tires, I run prancer fire xcs on my ht. I get better traction on the nevegals. May be I'll switch the rims to see if that make much of a difference.

Even with the Sette builds negatives, it wouldn't stop me from doing the build all over again. I descend with more confidence and speed on the Sette.

I weighed the bike last night on the bathroom scale. The build came out to 27 lbs. It may be 26.xxx lbs. It's heavier than I thought it was, but it's still a great bike.

mtbr member
    The tires could have a factor.
    As for the tires, I run prancer fire xcs on my ht. I get better traction on the nevegals. May be I'll switch the rims to see if that make much of a difference.

Even with the Sette builds negatives, it wouldn't stop me from doing the build all over again. I descend with more confidence and speed on the Sette.

I weighed the bike last night on the bathroom scale. The build came out to 27 lbs. It may be 26.xxx lbs. It's heavier than I thought it was, but it's still a great bike.
    I'm glad you're enjoying your Ace! I also think your tire choice has more to do with your bike "not holding its speed" than anything else. Try swapping the rear tire with something else if you're able.

Your build may be heavier than you thought it'd be, but I'd venture to guess that a lot of that weight is in your wheels & tires. With my race wheelset on (AC w/ CX-ray spokes), and 460 gram tires, my Ace tips the scales at 23.6 lbs; pretty decent for a FS bike with nothing too exotic. I'll post some new pics once I get back from Taiwan (I've upgraded the saddle & stem).

I'm really having a blast on this bike, and I'm looking forward to doing some endurance races and Xterra triathlons on it this year!
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hyperbolik-

Sweet build. Out of curiosity approx. how tall are you ? How does the bike fit as I notice you have a layback seatpost.

//p.fo

mtbr member
    The bike fit's great. I'm 5'3", my stem is 80mm and I use 170mm crank arms.

I am a work in progress
    I wanted one of these, or the Flite, but they don't have my size. The sale will be over by the time they get my size (23'') in the way my luck goes, haha.
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

NedwannaB

Bump!!!!!!!

Who's running a 120mm fork on the Ace for XC use?

Also anyone else looked at/picked up the Flite frame with the Monarch shock as a possible build? I have a hardtail now and was considering maybe spanning the travel range abit more and get this frame for a play bike instead of the Ace.

Reason being I have a 130mm fork that I can drop the travel (down to 115-120 I think ) to use on the Ace, but might be a little too short at 130 for using on the Flite though.

Any input would be great!

Thx in advance-JMac

Rudy Project Eyewear
    Those frames build up mighty sexy.......... nice work, all of you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just ordered my 18.5 frame.
    I think the sale price went down about 20-25 bucks too. was 500 , now 475-ish....

Can't wait to build this baby up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

just got done building my sette ace!

got the 20.5 frame [ day after i got it, I noticed price point lowered the price $20.00]
    came with monarch 3.3 about $500.00
    ,got a new set of magura menja forks for the front with head set about $500.00
    the way it worked out I had to use some of my cheapest components[shifters,derailuers and brakes] from my heavy cheap bike until i can upgrade
    but got my xtr cranks on there....
    it ways just about 30 lbs
    and its been raining since i finished it!!
    but having always ridden hardtails im PSYCHED
    reason i got the new frame cuz i recently moved to nc [wilmington]
    and so far the only decent trail here is blue clay which has so many roots it cracked my frame on my beloved old faithful bike..
    but riding the sette around a bit....
    im surprised how stiff the rear shock can be made....without even coming close to maxxing out the psi
    im 6-4" 220 lbs
    both shocks have a lockout that make it feel like roadbike....flick a couple of switches and its like being on a sealy posturpedic!!
    cant wait!!
    so what about you guys that have had the sette for a while.....how have you liked it in the long run??
    pics to come

Zero Miles from Myself
    I would contact price point and see if they will spot you back the sale price difference. Some places will if after you order, the item goes on sale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

regarding pricepoint

i emailed them yesterday about the $20.00...still awaiting a reply..i know if i call ill get better results...but...im not terribly concerned at teh moment...more concerned about when the rain will end!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My 18.5 just arrived. Cant wait to build it up. The weather is typically nasty here in Chicago, but such is life....I am dying to build and ride this beast.
    Pics and status to follow-

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1
    I would contact price point and see if they will spot you back the sale price difference. Some places will if after you order, the item goes on sale.
    got an email that they will be crediting my account....now i can get some more stuff nice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any updates on this frame. I am torn between this frame or a new Giant Anthem 2 complete bike. I do a lot of XC and endurance events wondering how the frame will hold up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    got my first real ride in today.......
    awsome!!
    having always been a hardtailer...its hard for me to compare it to other fs...
    but having always been a hardtailer....twas like heaven on the trail today
    frame is nice and big [20.5]...
    feels good...layout is good...
    rear shock...[monarch 3.3]only about halfway filled with air....nice and stiff...yet swallowed all the bumps..
    plenty of room to grow into....and was bombing down sections i always had to be cautious about before...didnt have to pick a line nothing...straight over anything i wanted...huge difference from a hardtail....going out tomorow ...more to come

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sette Ace XC Build

Thanks to all the good builds I've seen on this site, I'll be building mine shortly. I've already received the frame and will be adding an XT drivetrain and Avid BB7 brakes. Definately looking forward to getting this together and riding soon. This will be a great replacement for my ten year old Specialized FSR XC...

mtbr member
    Got my 18.5" on Friday after ordering it on a Wednesday. I wasn't going top mess with it, but my wife left for a few hours and the garage started to call my name. I decided to throw in the headset and mount up the fork and handlebars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, since I was pulling my hardtail apart to build this, I thought I might as well throw on the tires to take a look. I was going to mount the crank, but my BB tool didn't fit. So far it's looking good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Nice work

Did you press in the headset? I've never installed a headset or bottom bracket before so any helpful hints would be great.

mtbr member
    They make a tool to press in the headset, but I just used my vise with two blocks of wood to protect the metal parts.

Zero Miles from Myself
    You can also use a large long bolt with washers and a nut to press them in

mtbr member
    Finally got it all together. Had to switch back to my old stem.
    Bars: Sette Duo
    Brakes: Avid BB5
    Shifters: SRAM X.9
    hHeadset: FSA Pig
    Fork: 08 RockShox REcon 351
    Wheels: Sun Ditch Witch
    Cassette: SRAM 11-34
    Chain: SRAM
    Seatpost: Sette Venn
    Stem: Icon 110mm
    Cranks: FSA Dynadrive
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X.7
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    Tires: IRC Mythos II
    Seat: Specialized

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

18" Sette Ace

Not sure if it okay to post this here but this thread seems like the only place with decent info on this frame. I am going to sell my 18.5" Ace frame and maybe some other parts from the build. I will post it in the classified section tonight with pictures. I am selling it to fund a 29er project. It is the '08 frame with Monarch 3.3. Only been ridden 4 times light XC a total of maybe 40 miles. I really like the bike but I really want to try a 29er. PM me if interested.

Oh, I am selling it for $350 plus shipping from TN.

Robert

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This frame is only 480 right now.
    All those on a small frame, how is the clearance between the top tube and your bollocks?
    What's your inside leg measurement?
    I want one but am nervous to buy without try if you know what I mean.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Anybody know what a size L frame weigh? If its less than six pounds(2726g), I'm seriously considering it.
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/184...onarch-3.3.htm

if i remembered correctly, for the large size, it was originally posted as (edited5.88) 5.68lbs.

New Sette Frames

@bunce1260, regarding the fit of the small sized frame to my bod, well... how can i put it? hhhmmm... fits me like a road bike.

btw, i went SC Blur XC... the Ace frame is now owned by a good buddy of mine. i don't have any gripes about the frame... it's just... i want to try out a VPP. i just transferred the parts... see it here
    Last edited by jaymzbrm; 05-15-2009 at 12:41 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    isn't that frame a small? the top tube is straight. From what I've read so far I thought only the small had that design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymzbrm
    if i remembered correctly, for the large size, it was originally posted as 5.68lbs.
    Should be about 5.60 with some Woodman SL Ti seat collar... That clamp is like 50g..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunce1260
    isn't that frame a small? the top tube is straight. From what I've read so far I thought only the small had that design
    you are definitely correct.
    small size frame >>>> ace_frame_16

mtbr member
    I don't know if the rear shock makes a difference in weight, but the current frames at pricepoint have a different shock. I'm getting my work stand and scale next week. I'll updated my bike weight after I get my scale.

mtbr member
    how tall are you? just wondering because i'm looking at the sette ace in the 18.5 and i am 6 foot 1. i know the 20.5 is to big and i was wondering if i could pull off the 18.5?
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsmtb
    Did you press in the headset? I've never installed a headset or bottom bracket before so any helpful hints would be great.
    I have a large washer with several layers of duct tape on it, wooden block to rest the other end of the head tube, grease and a ball pin hammer. I just cover the headset cup with washer and tap it into a well lubricated headtube. Takes a minute, and I have installed tens of headsets that way over years with no problems whatsoever.

mtbr member
    bars: race face xc
    brakes: j7
    shifters: x9
    headset: ck
    fork: 08 rock shox sid team
    wheels: xt hubs, champ spokes, & lim ed dt swiss 4.2
    cassette: SRAM PG990 11-32
    chain: SRAM PC991
    Seatpost: Thompson Masterpiece
    Stem: Race Face XC
    Cranks: RaceFace Dues
    Front Derailleur: XT
    Rear Derailleur: x9
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.1
    Seat: sette lynx
    I finally got her weighed at a dirty 26.13 lbs. She might be an even 26 lbs if i could bring myself to clean her off =)

That's with a

front: MavicCrossride, stans notubes, 2.1 prancer fire XC. I taco'ed the one I got a few months ago.
    rear: same lim ed dt swiss 4.2, but tubed 1.95 IRC Mibro Tire

<><
    I ordered mine Sunday night, with a few components that wouldn't switch over from my 01Stumpjumper FSRxc, including a Rock Shox Toro 318 SA. It's suppose to be here today, I can't wait, it's like christmas, my birthday, and payday all at once!

NedwannaB

Rear tire size??

What's the limit on tire size anyone has found to run on the rear. It's hard to tell in the 'complete bike' pics. Looks like they come with Kenda Karma (or similar??) with minimal clearence to seat stay arch.

Thx in advance-JMac
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    The specs say that the max rear tire clearance is 2.3"

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast