Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell

Everyone so far has stated good things about the performance of this bike and I can't believe you get such an efficient bike for 500 bucks. For a "value" frame, this bike is exceptionally good looking. I think I am going to definitely buy one this weekend and swap out my hardtail frame. I was looking at a used Santa Cruz Superlight on Ebay and I don't think they look as nice all built up. Furthermore, the Ace actually weighs a tad less according to the published numbers.

Damn sexy for sure.

Before I pull the trigger on this though, can someone tell me how it handles? I notice that it has a 70 degree head tube angle which probably makes for good descending, but how does she turn?
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 11-22-2008 at 10:40 PM.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    Decided to pull the trigger on this frame. Just finished building her up.

Very sharp looking. I would get those brake lines cut down to clean it up a bit, but other than that it looks really nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I recently got my Ace built up and have a couple questions. I love the way it rides but am slightly concerned with the rear shock. I see a couple people who are running sub 100psi in their shocks and some running 150+psi. Does anyone else find this strange? I am 200lbs and when I have 170psi in the rear shock it is quite stiff. I like the way if "feels" closer to 110psi but don't want to risk damaging it.

Any thoughts?

Live free and Ride Hard!
    Sorry to change the subject but will the X7 FD bottom clamp fit on the ace? I noticed that the pivot for the rear triangle was located above the BB so I didn't know if this required the use of a Top clam Derailleur.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaSiL
    I recently got my Ace built up and have a couple questions. I love the way it rides but am slightly concerned with the rear shock. I see a couple people who are running sub 100psi in their shocks and some running 150+psi. Does anyone else find this strange? I am 200lbs and when I have 170psi in the rear shock it is quite stiff. I like the way if "feels" closer to 110psi but don't want to risk damaging it.

Any thoughts?
    You may want to post this with the shock name and type in the shocks forum. Surely someone would answer.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Is the Sette Ace rear triangle stiff enough, even without the welded yoke between the seat and chainstays, like the Intense and Santa Cruz?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaSiL

Any thoughts?
    It depends on which shock you have. The new RS Monarchs can handle up to 275 psi according to the RS website. The old manitou s type is probably similar. Don't keep it too low either because if you are constantly bottomming it out, that is not good. Maybe somewhere in the middle of 110 and 170 is a good compromise?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I thought I wrote what shock I was running in my post but it appears that isn't the case. It's the RS Monarch 3.3. I think I may have a bad one though, I'm not sure, but after 2 days or so it loses around 50psi. I am going to keep an eye on it and see what it does, I am thinking the cold weather might have something to do with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    oh man.. that would suck if that's the case.. Are you using a valve cap?

As far as psi goes.. i would say as long as your running the recommended 15 - 20% sag you should be fine. I've had no problems running 100psi 180lb rider... ( RS Monarch 3.3 )
    IF you get the chance. .post a few pics!

Live free and Ride Hard!
    So I have been reading this forum and the feedback about the ace seems to be overwhelmingly positive. So I'm about to leave the realm of the hardtail and try my hand at FS! I'm super excitied about me first frame buildup and I think I have all the components ill need. Does anybody have any advice for a first time bike builder that they would like to share? I just want to know if there were any hiccups while building this frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awesome Blackstang01!! Only thing i can say is make sure everything is well lubed.. I had my headset and crank put on at my lbs..$10 other then that its cake... ohh.. i made the mistake of making my cables a little to short.. and with the rear travel.. the cables started rubbing away at the paint...
    I think once you go fs you wont look back .. especially with a frame as light and stiff as the Ace whens its all done.. lets see some pics!

Live free and Ride Hard!
    yeah I was already planning on having the LBS install the BB and headset, and I did notice the need for longer cables for the rear brake and derailleur. The bike and parts should be in early next week so ill most def post some pics as soon as I get her complete!

Smarter Than He Looks
    Wow...just stumbled across the post and am pretty impressed with all I've read about this frame. I do have a question about sizing. I'm 5'10" with 33" inseam. Every mtn bike I've ridden I've felt much more comfortable on a Large then a Medium. For most brands, M = 17.5 or 18" and L = 19 or 19.5" So...with the Sette would I be a 18.5" or 20.5"?

Live free and Ride Hard!
    Well in regards to the stand over height I'm 6'1'' with 34.5" inseam so I bought the 20.5" frame with 32" of stand over. with you inseam clearance might be an issue. Get the 18.5".....your hardy boys will thank you lol

If the smaller frame feels cramped......longer stem, flat bars and seat position will help

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    OK, i think about to pull the trigger on one as well. The sizing chart online is a bit confusing and doesnt really realte to the ace frame. I am 5'6" and a 31 inch inseam, small?

Live free and Ride Hard!
    It says on PP that the small has 30" of standover so that would probaly be your best bet. How long is the top tube on your current bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstang01
    It says on PP that the small has 30" of standover so that would probaly be your best bet. How long is the top tube on your current bike?
    I am not sure. I will have to go home and measure it. I cant find the specs on line. It is a 17" Zion.

locked - time out

Decals?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Very sharp looking. I would get those brake lines cut down to clean it up a bit, but other than that it looks really nice.
    To any Sette owners - Are the decals removable on this frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No they are not removable, they are underneath the clear coat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ok guys. After going over this thread now 4 times, i am serioulsy considering buying one of these frames. It is just too good to pass up a deal like this

Live free and Ride Hard!
    Well after finally getting in the frame and spending 2 days building her up the ace is complete! The overall build went together well with no problems what so ever. Its currently flooding here in the southeast so ill post up another ride report for all you guys thinking about purchasing along with pics. here's my parts breakdown.

Derailleur: SRAM X7 in the back,up front, and X7 shifters
    Brakes: Avid mechanical Disc
    Handle bars: Easton Monkey lite Composite mid rise
    Headset: Cane Creak S-3
    Fork: 2009 RS Tora 318 soloair
    Crank set: Race Face Evolve XC
    Pedals: Shimano 520's
    Seat post: Bontrager carbon
    Saddle: Bontrager sport
    Shocks: RS Monach 3.3
    Tires: Maxxis Crossmarks 2.1

Zero Miles from Myself
    What does it weigh?

Zero Miles from Myself
    These cranks might look cool on the ACE. But I have never heard of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...m=220324623021

Live free and Ride Hard!
    I haven't weighed it yet, don't have a scale. It will most likely be next week before I can weight it along with pics

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1
    These cranks might look cool on the ACE. But I have never heard of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...m=220324623021
    Those look pretty neat, but they weigh quite a bit. I would rather go with XT if you can afford it. What a weird brand too! I wonder ifit is like an overseas brand only.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast