Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    ......Wondering if these are more trail bike then XC?
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you rate the diff between Trail and XC? What Characteristics would be diff in the two?

Also, Your thinking of getting a 16"? I am thinking of that too. What body size are you? I am still undecided. If you get a 16" would like to hear what you think of it.

I got an email late last month from Price Point that the new ones are due in Sept .... and they will have a different shock. Did not say what, but I am sure there will be a decent up price (like $600 +) for the new '09s with a new shock. But if you do not like or are worried about the current shock offering, maybe wait a few weeks and see what comes out.

NedwannaB

As in the OP.......

Quote Originally Posted by mrm1
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you rate the diff between Trail and XC? What Characteristics would be diff in the two?
    ....the question was "race worthy" or not, thus my comment. If you look at most other posts on builds for this frame (specially the 2 bike builds shown in the PP link on this frame) usually they've been set up with more fork travel/components a little "beefier" then seen on a 100mm "XC" race setup that's all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just got an email from PP and the new frames will have a Rock Shox shock... so maybe the price will be similar. Hope so....

Zero Miles from Myself
    Did they give any indication of which RS shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    No unfortunately. I will email back and ask. Here is all they said in response to "will you have the 18.5's back in stock"
    "We will have them with a rock Shox in about a month or so back in stock"

If I get more info I will post it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey kinda late, but I recently built a sette ace. Its the 18.5" frame, I race xc, had my first race last sunday.

I love the bike, for the price you really cant go wrong. I'm 5'8-5'9 150lbs myabe a little less. And it fits me fine.

Some Specs
    Sette Ace 18.5" frame
    Easton xc one wheelset.
    '02 Manitou Mars super 80mm fork
    Attached Images Attached Images

NedwannaB

Bump! Another take on this.....

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    I guess I would just like to know what you guys think. Buy a bigger name such as the Anthem or Epic or take a chance with the Sette
    .....How race worthy will you be on this bike?? In other words, what level are you racing now, and what are your expectations with a new bike?? At this price I'd be willing to take a chance on the rear shock issues. Heck, scroll thru Specialized forum on the late model Epics and their brain problems at 3 times the price, sorry Spec, just sayin.

Live free and Ride Hard!
    Hey does anybody know when PP will have the ace back in stock? Ive seen that its not on there website anymore which angers me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Saw the Ace is back in stock at PP just has a different shock. I have not had any touoble with the Manitou on mine though. Just ran my first race and the bike was great, crtainly not the reason I did not do well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey everyone, just finished my Sette Ace build... thought i would share a few photos.. and hopefully a good review once it stops raining! But so far it looks and feels awesome..
    Sette makes some quality product..

mtbr member
    NIIICCCEE

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That looks great!! What is the travel on the Relic?? Looking forward to hearing some ride results...
    - mike -

Just Joshin' ya!
    Looks great. How stiff does it feel in the rear end?
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Zero Miles from Myself
    That thing is drop dead gorgeous. Ride report .... ride report

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys.. Unfortunately i dont have much ride time do to the weather, and working 10hr days for the next 2 weeks! But from what i have ridden.. Shes a great climber! Nice and stiff when you need her to be and plush where it counts.. Could use a tad more rebound in the rear. As soon as i can get a full on ride.. will be sure to post a full review.. and some trail pics!
    but for anyone wonder if its worth the $499 price tag.... VERY MUCH SO

fisherking - relic is 140mm

Zero Miles from Myself
    Since this is the new 2009 model of the frame, Is that the 16.5 or the 18.5. I seem to remember that last years 18.5's TT and Down Tube did not come together at the Head Tube as yours does in the pic ..... but last years 16.5 did not have the bent TT as pictured.

mtbr member
    Is that the Cane Creek S-8 headset? How do you like it so far?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by admo619
    Hey everyone, just finished my Sette Ace build... thought i would share a few photos.. and hopefully a good review once it stops raining! But so far it looks and feels awesome..
    Sette makes some quality product..

mtbr member

My Build

Decided to pull the trigger on this frame. Just finished building her up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Looks great!! Any idea what it weighs in at? I was looking at a similar fork and like the red highlights.
    The bike stand is nice too :-)
    - mike -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherking
    Looks great!! Any idea what it weighs in at? I was looking at a similar fork and like the red highlights.
    The bike stand is nice too :-)
    Thanks, Mike! I put it up on the scale at my LBS yesterday, and it read 26.2 pounds. The wheelset is a bit heavy, though. With my race wheelset on the weight should drop by a little over a pound. The frame weighed right at 5.5 lbs (with shock and seatpost clamp).

BTW, I took it out for its maiden voyage today, and I'm very impressed. I didn't even bother locking out the shock on the climbs; it felt liked it climbed well enough without it w/ no noticble bob. And unlike a previous poster, I wasn't left wanting more rebound.

Can't wait to ride again!

mtbr member

A few better pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    awesome build bholwell, she looks great! No doubt your enjoying what she can do..
    curious to know what your rear psi is set at.. with your weight.
    I'm about 180 running 90psi.. seems to work well for me and the trails i ride.. The lockout is great,, really affective.. and not just some lever to flip around.. actually has some change to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by admo619
    awesome build bholwell, she looks great! No doubt your enjoying what she can do..
    curious to know what your rear psi is set at.. with your weight.
    I'm about 180 running 90psi.. seems to work well for me and the trails i ride.. The lockout is great,, really affective.. and not just some lever to flip around.. actually has some change to it.
    Thanks! If you have the same shock (Monarch 3.3), I wonder if the gauge on your shock pump is off. Or perhaps mine is! I have my shock pressurized to 160 psi, and that gives me about 13% sag (I weigh ~165 full kit). I wouldn't worry about the pressure, just shoot for 10-15% sag and you should be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    lol... so i just checked again after reading your reply.. and yeah its set at about 95psi with a tad over 15% sag.. i like my ride to be a little on the plush side when its fully open, but mostly ride with it straight down the middle, depending on terrain conditions. ( 3.3 Monarch, Sette Ace ) with Sette shock pump Still.. thats a huge difference in pressure.. considering i have 15lbs over you..

Zero Miles from Myself
    bholwell, any idea what your Ace Build Weights?

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast