mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Sette Ace sizing

I'm looking at getting a Sette Ace. I'm 6'1", 185 lbs., 34" inseam. I assume a large would be the best choice, but wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger. Any thoughts?

~Disc~Golf~
    large it is
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Large.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    no to hijack or anything, but on the same topic, what size flite for a 5'11" rider? my bike now is an 18" trek 3700 with 100mm stem i think, was concerned about if I want to put on a shorter stem on the flite to tighten up steering

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerocker1
    no to hijack or anything, but on the same topic, what size flite for a 5'11" rider? my bike now is an 18" trek 3700 with 100mm stem i think, was concerned about if I want to put on a shorter stem on the flite to tighten up steering
    It should work out just about perfectly with a 18" frame.

The 3700 has a ETT (effective top-tube) of 56.5cm.
    -The Flite's ETT is 58.5cm.

so if you got a 80mm stem, the reach should be nearly identical to your current setup.
    (the seat tube angles are comparable too, the Sette's is .5* slacker @ 73*)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks highdell, the complete from pp seems to be like my top choice as of right now once I get a few summer paychecks in just nervous as to buying w/o riding and that crap. how does your flite climb? im also kind of stuck between if I want the flite or ace. I think I'd rather have the more travel but dont want to lose too much efficiency

~Disc~Golf~
    thanks highdell, the complete from pp seems to be like my top choice as of right now once I get a few summer paychecks in just nervous as to buying w/o riding and that crap. how does your flite climb? im also kind of stuck between if I want the flite or ace. I think I'd rather have the more travel but dont want to lose too much efficiency
    Well, that's kinda hard to answer as I'm a sh!tty climber
    But, I have rode worse. (and some lighter faster ones too).
    The place where you'll be glad you got the Flite over the Ace is when it's pointed downhill and over big-chunk. - If that's the kinda stuff you call fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hah yeah im not a great climber myself, i just dont have much experience with any full sus bikes so I dont want to get too much.. but then I dont want to look back and be disappointed lol

~Disc~Golf~
    hah yeah im not a great climber myself, i just dont have much experience with any full sus bikes so I dont want to get too much.. but then I dont want to look back and be disappointed lol
    do you have any buddies with similar types of bikes?
    Does your LBS do demos?
    you could try out a few and see if you want an XC rig or maybe a burlier AM

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    all my buddies ride hardtails unfortunately, I'm the one with some cash to blow haha...and the shops around me don't do demos either.

but if it helps i live in NH, so trails are pretty up and down alot with the typical assortment of challenges like roots, rocks, mud. the reason why I was leaning towards the flite was because id like to go even faster over what I ride, but then considered the ace as I should be able to go faster with it? plus im kind of a cheapskate and I dont know what the real benefits/cons would be of each bike

mtbr member
    If are you concerned with the Flite's climbing ease, I recommend you convert the Domain 318 fork to a u-turn spring. About $40-$50 in parts and shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes from start to finish. I even made a write up for it.

Lowering the fork from 160mm to 140mm or 130mm makes a huge difference for very steep and long climbs. Just by adding the adjustable travel turned my Flite from an OK climber to an excellent climber. It made that big of a difference.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    If are you concerned with the Flite's climbing ease, I recommend you convert the Domain 318 fork to a u-turn spring. About $40-$50 in parts and shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes from start to finish. I even made a write up for it.

Lowering the fork from 160mm to 140mm or 130mm makes a huge difference for very steep and long climbs. Just by adding the adjustable travel turned my Flite from an OK climber to an excellent climber. It made that big of a difference.
    This is a great option too ...

Plus, If you want to see what the Ace can/can't do, check the multi-page Sette Ace XC - Race Worthy? thread.
    Us Flite owners have our stuff (threads) all discombobulated - such is the life of pro-gnar-core AM discount shredder boobs.