mtbr member
    May 2009

Sette Ace with Monarch 2.1 and Tora 302

I am looking to make the transition to a light but capable fs rig. I like my 29er and have improved greatly with it but I ride very tight technical stuff with gaps and small drops. the 29er is a great xc bike and great climber, but i need a full-susser to fit my style and college-student budget. the sette ace bike is a great deal on pricepoint.com. it is spec'd well with a good wheelset too. however, 2 the things about this beauty concern me:
    1- the monarch 2.1 rear shock doesn't have lockout. i wonder why this is, i doubt that pricepoint is trying to skimp on a part bc the rest of the bike is spec'd so well, and if they were going to skimp, it would be on another part ( wheels or front der...) is the suspension designed to have minimal bob so that lockout in unnecessary? bc the ace is an "XC" bike, i would expect to see a lockout feature...?
    2- how capable is the Tora 302 fork? i use a my tora 318 on my 29er, which is a solid fork and gets the job done, how much of a down-gade is the 302? I am unsure about downgrading forks, but i can always ride the 302 into the ground and then later get a better fork on ebay.
    I need an XC bike that can handle an occasional 4 foot drop. ya'll think this baby is up to it? I'm not looking for a full-on AM bc I love climbing and might race XC next season.
    if this baby turns out not to be the one, ill wait to what ibex has in 2010, but i would love to get a dualie sooner than later.
    thanks guys.

mtbr member
    1- the monarch 2.1 rear shock doesn't have lockout. i wonder why this is, i doubt that pricepoint is trying to skimp on a part bc the rest of the bike is spec'd so well, and if they were going to skimp, it would be on another part ( wheels or front der...) is the suspension designed to have minimal bob so that lockout in unnecessary? bc the ace is an "XC" bike, i would expect to see a lockout feature...?
    Price point didnt skimp on the shock because they have no say in whats on the bikes. Sette is a completely different company. I dont know personally if there is a bobbing issue with the shock, I do not own a Ace so I cant help you with that, sorry.

I need an XC bike that can handle an occasional 4 foot drop. ya'll think this baby is up to it? I'm not looking for a full-on AM bc I love climbing and might race XC next season.
    if this baby turns out not to be the one, ill wait to what ibex has in 2010, but i would love to get a dualie sooner than later.
    thanks guys.
    It should handle a 4 foot drop probably at its max, kind of seems like you might be better of in a 6 inch bike to me, but since you want to race it the Ace is a fairly light and capable FS XC bike.
    Last edited by Dremer03; 09-28-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cconorm
    2- how capable is the Tora 302 fork? i use a my tora 318 on my 29er, which is a solid fork and gets the job done, how much of a down-gade is the 302?
    In my opinion it's a significant downgrade. The Tora 302 is a simple port orifice damped fork which will essentially lock rigid with fast hits. Basically, the faster you go, the less the forks reacts. The Tora 318, on the other hand, has a proper high speed compression circuit which will be very noticeable when the trail gets fast and rough.

EDIT: Nice editing Vtolds.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 09-28-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I know nothing about this Sette product, but these people may be able to help.
    The first link is people who have bought the Ace frame and custom built it. If you make a new thread in XC racing and training they should be able to answer your questions if they were not already answered in the thread.
    Sette Ace XC - Race Worthy?
    This thread is about someone who is considering the ace. It's just general knowledge about the components.
    Opinions on Sette Ace Bike W/Rock Shox Monarch 2.1?
    Here's another thread that's a custom build and a review of how it rode.
    Sette Ace XC build

I hope this helps. If not pm some of the owners and get a response and make some new threads. Someone here can definitely help you.

~Disc~Golf~
    yeah, sadly the 302 is kinda crappy

pony up a couple more bills and get the FLITE
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    yeah, sadly the 302 is kinda crappy

pony up a couple more bills and get the FLITE
    34.8 pounds is pretty heavy for a bike. The Nevegals are heavy, but that's a solid part spec for the most part. I wonder where all the weight, besides the tires, is coming from. Probably a few of the no name parts such as the saddle, bars, seatpost, and stem. I wonder how much that frame weighs as well. If anyone knows pass on that information if you don't care.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    34.8 pounds is pretty heavy for a bike. The Nevegals are heavy, but that's a solid part spec for the most part. I wonder where all the weight, besides the tires, is coming from. Probably a few of the no name parts such as the saddle, bars, seatpost, and stem. I wonder how much that frame weighs as well. If anyone knows pass on that information if you don't care.

I think the domain coil is a pretty hefty fork...burly none the less but a pig

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yeah the flite looks beaslty but too heavy. thanks for the help and direction everybody. the ace is tempting but i think ill save my money for an Ibex ignition or asta when the 2010s come out.