mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Sette Ace and Avid Juicy 3 turkey gobbler

I've had the Ace now since March and have loved it. A month or two ago, a very annoying sound and vibration has cropped whenever I apply the rear brake. I've read about a number of people having issues with Avid hydro brakes and certain frames due to a resonance effect and other things.

Things I've tried:
    - remove caliper, center on rotor, re-install (noise comes back quickly)
    - clean caliper (noise comes back quickly)
    - don't use rear break (annoying)

I have a pair of new semi-metallic pads not from Avid that should arrive today. I'll install those and hope it helps.

Has anyone else had this on their Ace? I'm going to start trying non-traditional fixes such as trying to insulate the caliper adapter to the frame with some other washers/rubber and even zip tie a small metal object to it and try to change it's frequency. At this point, I just want the loud annoying noise stopped any way I can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My flite does the same thing with 8" rotors and elixers. It's annoying as hell but I live with it. Doesn't seem to affect the braking performance any. I'm running organic pads.
    Orbea Oiz
    Sette Flite
    Bianchi 26er ss

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My braking hasn't been affected, it's just very annoying to deal with. If I can do something cheap and easy to at least lessen, I'm going to try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have used several different types of Avid discs and all have had noise issues from day 1. However they can be fixed. I remove the pads and sand them with sandpaper and clean them with alcohol. Then I clean the rotors with alcohol. This has worked with every set of Avids I have used (2 sets BB7, Avid Juicy 7, Avid Juicy Carbon and Avid Juicy 5). The Juicy 5s were so bad that it vibrated my whole frame and I could feel it in the grips, but they have been good for almost 2 years now.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Great Success!

I finally think I have this problem solved... for now at least. I just finished some work...

- remove rotor, clean with alcohol, reattach carefully
    - remove caliper, mount adapter and pads
    - wipe clean, apply some grease to CPS bolts and adapter bolts
    - install new brake pads, specifically Alligator Semi-Metallic pads
    link to PricePoint - $10
    - mount adapter, caliper and tighten bolts according to Avid manual
    - rode a few miles and did about 30 hard stops

Most importantly. Not a single squeak or vibration at all. Now I'm noticing the slight squeaks from my front brakes... I'm really hoping the pads stay this quiet. They don't stop quite as well as the Avid pads, but for the silence, I'll gladly make that trade off. Thanks for the suggestions.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    either clean them like ljsmith said or get new pads. that isnt an issue specific to avid though, any break could do that.
    even rim breaks on a road bike which is fixed by angling the pads so they dont engage flatly on the rim.
    i sand mine and use break cleaner on the pads.
    RAH!