Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a Serum built up for the trail, not the scale. I'm wouldn't be too confident hammering a sub kilo frame the way I do this "overweight" Serum. My Small size frame was 1174 gms bare. Whatever. . .

Weight weenies are mostly inexperienced whiners who don't really ride anyway. I know this because I WAS ONE TILL I LEARNED HOW TO RIDE.

First I put a SID RLT Ti with a gasp . . 15mm thru axle on to optimize the front end handling.
    A 2x10 hybrid drivetrain with the heaviest duty parts I could find. custom wheelset; White industries hubs with a heavy duty steel cassette body and Stans Arch front and 355 rear rims, Big fat Mutano 2.4s with OMG !! inner tubes inside. BB7 mechanical brakes so I can spend over 28 days in the back****ry without leaking or "bleeding" issues. A 282 gm Laser V saddle that's actually padded. I tried to build this as strong as possible and it still ended up just over 21 lbs.

I would post a picture but damn it's completely covered in dust from riding it over 30 miles today.

I have never been passed while riding this bike, but I'm in Texas so that isn't saying much. The big fad here seems to be the 29er which totally fails on the tight twisty singletrack local trails. again whatever

I'm barely 5'7" so I wouldn't succumb to that fad anyway. The Sette Serum is far and away the stiffest most comfortable hardtail I've ever ridden and I've owned over half a dozen high end frames. The frame likes a 100mm travel fork any more travel slows the steering too much for tight singletrack. This bikes a total joy to ride and was a great investment.

Sorry to sound cynical but this thread needed some balanced input from someone who actually rides.

You're welcome

Cow Clicker
    I've found the same thing! I got it as my daily rider. Wouldn't have done that with most other $$$ carbon race frames.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post
    I have a Serum built up for the trail, not the scale. I'm wouldn't be too confident hammering a sub kilo frame the way I do this "overweight" Serum. My Small size frame was 1174 gms bare. Whatever. . .

Weight weenies are mostly inexperienced whiners who don't really ride anyway. I know this because I WAS ONE TILL I LEARNED HOW TO RIDE.

First I put a SID RLT Ti with a gasp . . 15mm thru axle on to optimize the front end handling.
    A 2x10 hybrid drivetrain with the heaviest duty parts I could find. custom wheelset; White industries hubs with a heavy duty steel cassette body and Stans Arch front and 355 rear rims, Big fat Mutano 2.4s with OMG !! inner tubes inside. BB7 mechanical brakes so I can spend over 28 days in the back****ry without leaking or "bleeding" issues. A 282 gm Laser V saddle that's actually padded. I tried to build this as strong as possible and it still ended up just over 21 lbs.

I would post a picture but damn it's completely covered in dust from riding it over 30 miles today.

I have never been passed while riding this bike, but I'm in Texas so that isn't saying much. The big fad here seems to be the 29er which totally fails on the tight twisty singletrack local trails. again whatever

I'm barely 5'7" so I wouldn't succumb to that fad anyway. The Sette Serum is far and away the stiffest most comfortable hardtail I've ever ridden and I've owned over half a dozen high end frames. The frame likes a 100mm travel fork any more travel slows the steering too much for tight singletrack. This bikes a total joy to ride and was a great investment.

Sorry to sound cynical but this thread needed some balanced input from someone who actually rides.

You're welcome
    OK I'm a Sette fan and you hit it on the nose coming from my own experience. I too am from Texas and 5' 7" but I did decide to try the big hoops. I'm with you on the trails here being tight and twisty which I seem to over shoot here on my 29er fully but not so much on my Sette Razzo. Which is an awesome bike by the way but the fun factor and flick ability is missing though.
    So today I was thinking about the Serum and decided to find some info on it and came across this discussion. Is the head angle based on a 100mm fork or 80mm just because I tend to like steeper twichy head tube angles. I also like to launch over roots and small logs and small dirt jumps while racing through my local trails. Just to bring the fun factor up!
    So like I said I'm just trying to see if this is something to add to my stable. Thinking of buying the frame and building it up. Could you give me some more feed back on this bike?
    Thanks!

Cow Clicker
    MtbLeep: Fast steering. I jump small doubles all the time on mine. I do avoid big drops though. I was torn between the carbon Razzo and the Serum, but went with the Serum for the same reasons you are considering one

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wmac: Thanks for the info.
    I actually own an 18" 2010 alloy razzo which was my do it all bike for a year and a half. Basically used and abused it and never let me down. At 22lbs with not one bit of carbon on it was a rocket!
    Anyway I tried a couple of other 29er frames (steel&alloy) since but as soon as I stepped back on the razzo I decided it was as good as it was going to get for my style of riding.
    So now the "Serum" has my attention and if I'm going to get back on a 26" HT it may as well be carbon. Hopefully it will be some what more forgiving and stiffer than my old trusty 26" stumpy HT which I can't seem to get away from. Its light, fast and nimble but I need to retire it and replace.

Cow Clicker
    Well, you can't beat the price!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello all,

I want to buy the Sette Serum Carbon frame but I don't know which size should I take. I am 5.5" height, 29" inseam. Should I take 15" or 17" ?
    I think I am between sizes...

Thank you very much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3