mtbr member

Santa came early in a brown truck - Sette Razzo

So after spending weeks specing out parts for my first 29er, a fellow MTBRer shot me a link to the complete Sette Razzo. Darn, parts spec looked good and it all came down to much less than the best prices I can come up with.

Heck, I'll give it go and see what the fuss is all about with the big wheels. Order was placed last week and the bike is now put together and ready to roll ... except it had been raining nonstop here so will have to wait a few more days for a ride report.

Some pics....

This showed up at my doorstep.

Shiny bits peeking out.

Partially assembled out of the box.

Look ma, my bicycle's wheel is bigger than my SUV's wheel.

Swapping a few parts.

Makes a 26er look rather small.

Shiny...

mtbr member

More pics for posterity. It will NEVER EVER be this clean again.

Pie plate has been removed and is now used for holding ... pies?

Will be swapping out the SB8s with a set or Ardents next week & going tubeless. Then it's time to get down and dirty.

mtbr member
    2 Razzos on here, nice.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Cuánto pesa?

eujinc.

That's one sweet 29'er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay

eujinc.

That's one sweet 29'er
    Jake, congrats on the forum

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by taterbug
    Jake, congrats on the forum

Thankz tater,

A number of us put in a lot of time trying to get this board and it finally payed off.

Us Setté riders gottz a place to hang

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sheeeitallfriday...beautiful bike! New to 29er's here and this build looks outstanding...any of you guys have a suggestion as to the 20" vs 22" frame size for me? I'm 6-2, longer arms/torso, ride a 59cm Bianchi Eros road bike (semi-compact geo), and a 20.5" IHorse hardtail with a 110 stem on riser bars. I prefer a longer top tube and less concerned about standover. Opinions please.

mtbr member
    What saddle is that and how do you like it?

mtbr member
    It comes with a Sette Lynx.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I'm interested in the Lynx and Nyx saddles. Very few reviews about them. Any thoughts?

mtbr member

Saddle

The saddle is fine so far. Quite a bit more firmer than my old, broken Skye saddle but so far no numbness or any weird feelings in the nether region. The slimness of the saddle allows moving around without snagging on my shorts and provide decent even support of the sit bones. The real test is really on longer rides. To date, I've only been on rides up to around 2 hours.

mtbr member

Razzo in Patapsco

Here's a ride update.

Swapped out the 2.1 SB8s with 2.25 Ardents. Stem has been flipped (gonna keep it this way for awhile to see if I like it better). And aside from increasing the pressure of the fork, I have not made any other adjustments. Derailleurs do not need any adjustments so far but I am sure I will have to when the cables stretch.

No question about it, big wheels sure make going over stuff much easier. I was able to clear areas of rock gardens easily where I usually dab on my 26er. This thing likes to eat up bumps. Weight wise, a little heavier than my Ti 26er and the steering does feel more sluggish. However, the bike does feel much, much more stable at speed. So far, me likes it a lot .

Some pics from my ride last weekend:

intheShadows
    Any Razzo owners experiencing toe overlap, especially on the Large or X-large?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone know the fork travel for the complete Sette Razzo, 80 or 100mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch2k
    Anyone know the fork travel for the complete Sette Razzo, 80 or 100mm?
    It should be 80mm.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    It should be 80mm.
    correct me if i'm wrong, but you can convert the 80mm travel to 100mm travel by adjusting some internal spacer?

mtbr member
    correct me if i'm wrong, but you can convert the 80mm travel to 100mm travel by adjusting some internal spacer?
    Some forks this is true, I cont confirm if the Reba SL is one of these forks.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mine is set at 80mm (I though it was 100 at first). The fork comes with 2 spacers and you can convert to 100mm if you like.

AZ
    banned
    Have you had a chance to put it on a scale ?

mtbr member
    With everything on it - 26 pounds (per my bathroom scale).

This includes, in addition to the components that came with the bike:
    - beatup pair of M520 pedals
    - 2.25 Ardents with tubes (been procrastinating on the tubeless conversion)
    - wireless bike computer
    - BBG bashguard
    - Bottle cage
    - Sette Blade ergo lock-on grips

Frame is a 16 incher.

AZ
    banned
    Very good , thank you very much .

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eujinc
    With everything on it - 26 pounds (per my bathroom scale).

Frame is a 16 incher.

What is your height and inseam?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

sette razzo

Hi,

Thanks for the pics and review thusfar. Now that you've had a chance to break it in a bit any update? Any problems or regrets? I am seriously considering the razzo but not being able to test ride it makes me a tad nervous.

mtbr member
    What is your height and inseam?
    5'6" and 28"-ish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lltaylor
    Thanks for the pics and review thusfar. Now that you've had a chance to break it in a bit any update? Any problems or regrets? I am seriously considering the razzo but not being able to test ride it makes me a tad nervous.
    No regrets for me. I haven't been riding it as much as I would've liked. So far with almost 100 miles on the odo, here are my observations:

1. Loving the big wheels. I can't believe how much more stable this thing is and how much more speed it can carry around turns and descends.

2. Once rolling, it doesn't feel big at all.

3. Flipped stem works well for me. I might consider getting a flat bar to lower the front a bit more.

4. Lifting the front feels a little heavier but not a real issue.

5. On steep rocky descends, I always feel like flipping over on my 26er. Not on this.

mtbr member
    Here's a clip I took a few weeks ago. I think this was the 2nd time out on this bike.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7765088&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7765088&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7765088">Testing the 29er in Patapsco</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1567808">eujinc</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    Very nice stuff, glad your enjoying it so much. People should check out your Bike Wash Video, very Razzo heavy. I think it really shows it off also.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, the Bike Wash video. That was the first time on the trails with the Razzo. Water's too darn cold to be splashing around now - have to coast gingerly through the streams and even then, the front derailleur almost always freezes up. This gives you an idea of some of the stream crossings of the local trails.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7748261&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7748261&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7748261">Bike Wash in Patapsco 2009</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1567808">eujinc</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    awesome, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    eujinc - another question: It states on the pricepoint site that in order for the manufacturer warranty to be valid that the bike has to be assembled by a certified bike mechanic. Obviously anyone can assemble the bike out of the box but does a certified bike mechanic provide proof that they assembled it or something?

mtbr member
    I would assume that the shop will provide some kind of receipt for the service rendered to assemble the bike.

This is my 3rd bike that I have bought on-line and I've never taken any to be assembled.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just pulled the trigger! Can't wait for it to arrive!

mtbr member
    Very nice, welcome to the club.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about a frame...if only they had a different color.......

mtbr member

Right on!!! which one did you get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I've been thinking about a frame...if only they had a different color.......
    I can't see it being expensive at all getting a bike frame painted professionally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    I can't see it being expensive at all getting a bike frame painted professionally.
    Most powder coaters will do one color for about 100 dollars.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The 20" Razzo. I tried it out this weekend and it was amazing! Granted, my previous bike was much heavier, but the Razzo flew up the hills. I found myself pushing further down the trail than I normally do.

mtbr member
    Congrats on your Razzo. Have a blast.

LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm interested in this bike. The only bikes available at the LBS are Norco so trying this bike out isn't an option. I'm wondering which way to go with the size. Height-wise, I'm pretty much right on the overlap between the 16" and 18" by their size chart. I'm just over 5' 8". My current bike (26) is a 17" Specialized (100mm stem and the seatpost showing just over 200mm out of the tube if that helps).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP
    I'm interested in this bike. The only bikes available at the LBS are Norco so trying this bike out isn't an option. I'm wondering which way to go with the size. Height-wise, I'm pretty much right on the overlap between the 16" and 18" by their size chart. I'm just over 5' 8". My current bike (26) is a 17" Specialized (100mm stem and the seatpost showing just over 200mm out of the tube if that helps).
    Compare the geometry of your specialized to the Razzo, see which one is closest.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I am 5' 6" and I ride a 16". The cockpit feels like my old 26" hardtail. For your height, I would probably go with an 18" but check to make sure the ETT of the Razzo is acceptable for you.

After this morning's race is Patapsco:

LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. The ETT of my current bike falls between those given for the 16" and 18" Razzo (closer to the 16") but the cockpit felt small to me which is why I went to the 100mm stem (stock was 50mm if I remember correctly).

I'm not really big on the idea of mail ordering a bike because of the fit thing but it's looking to be my best option right now. I can get a lot more bike for my money than I can get at the LBS with a Norco. The Jubei 2 is a little more expensive than the Razzo and not as nicely spec'd. The Razzo is spec'd more like the Jubei 1 which is $1000 more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP
    Thanks for the suggestions. The ETT of my current bike falls between those given for the 16" and 18" Razzo (closer to the 16") but the cockpit felt small to me which is why I went to the 100mm stem (stock was 50mm if I remember correctly).

I'm not really big on the idea of mail ordering a bike because of the fit thing but it's looking to be my best option right now. I can get a lot more bike for my money than I can get at the LBS with a Norco. The Jubei 2 is a little more expensive than the Razzo and not as nicely spec'd. The Razzo is spec'd more like the Jubei 1 which is $1000 more.
    Try this out http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO see what you come up with. Match it up to the Razzo that is the closest. Possibly do some stem switching if needed.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    How do you like the Lynx saddle so far?

I tried out the Nyx saddle and my butt didn't like it. I love the Amp saddle though.

mtbr member
    Surprisingly, I like it. Was a bit uncertain about it in the beginning since it's not a very plush saddle but it supported the right areas and I've been on 4+ hour rides in some rocky areas with zero problems. Clocked over 400+ miles on it so far and I can say it's a keeper.

mtbr member
    Did you end up changing the travel from 100mm to 80mm?

Mine came at 80mm and was thinking of going up to 100mm for the very steep descents.

mtbr member
    I left mine at 80mm.

mtbr member
    Switched mine to 100mm today. I like it. This way I can run 30% travel without worrying about bottoming out. Better for descents too without sacrificing the climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How is the clearance at the back with the 2.25 Ardent?

It would me awsome if you could post some pictures of it.

Sk8randMTBer
    Mar 2010

80 to 100mm

What was required for the 80 to 100mm switch? I noticed the spacers in the bike box.
    Easy to do for a person w/ basic bike repair skills or does it require special tools/knowledge...Trying to avoid spending money @ bike shop. Mine bottoms out a good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfkid
    What was required for the 80 to 100mm switch? I noticed the spacers in the bike box.
    Easy to do for a person w/ basic bike repair skills or does it require special tools/knowledge...Trying to avoid spending money @ bike shop. Mine bottoms out a good deal.
    It's very easy.

- Remove the air from the positive and negative chambers from the schrader valves.
    - Remove the lowers by removing the lower bolt on the damper side and the lower bolt on the air chamber side.
    - Remove the C shaped snap ring using the special pliers tool. You have to apply pressure on the black rubber middle part to push it into the piston a few millimeters then remove the snap ring.
    - Remove the rod and remove one spacer. Each spacer is 20mm. So by removing 20mm spacer you go from 80mm to 100mm.
    - Reassemble everything.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tfkid

Bottoming is usually caused by running too little air pressure FWIW .

Sk8randMTBer
    Mar 2010
    great, thanks for the clear directions and advice. I will increase travel and my air pressure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsi
    How is the clearance at the back with the 2.25 Ardent?

It would me awsome if you could post some pictures of it.
    Here you go...

Seat stay clearance:

Chain stay clearance:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    It's very easy.

- Remove the air from the positive and negative chambers from the schrader valves.
    - Remove the lowers by removing the lower bolt on the damper side and the lower bolt on the air chamber side.
    - Remove the C shaped snap ring using the special pliers tool. You have to apply pressure on the black rubber middle part to push it into the piston a few millimeters then remove the snap ring.
    - Remove the rod and remove one spacer. Each spacer is 20mm. So by removing 20mm spacer you go from 80mm to 100mm.
    - Reassemble everything.
    Did you have to replace any shock oil?

mtbr member
    Did you have to replace any shock oil?
    Very little oil dripped. I added a few ml. of shock oil.

BDB
    I really want to get one of these! Any issues with toe overlap? I'm 6'2 and wear size 15 shoes, would this be a concern with a 20in frame?

Sk8randMTBer
    Mar 2010
    at 6.2 get the large size, toe overlap?...i seriously doubt unless you toes are like 7 inches long.its a great bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbndan
    Any issues with toe overlap? I'm 6'2 and wear size 15 shoes, would this be a concern with a 20in frame?
    6" shoe size 11. Toe overlap? Not even close.

BDB
    Ok cool, I was wondering cause a few years ago I rode a 29er (can't remeber frame size) but there was minor overlap. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Bought my Razzo today!

Here's a clip I took a few weeks ago. I think this was the 2nd time out on this bike.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7765088&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7765088&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7765088">Testing the 29er in Patapsco</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1567808">eujinc</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    You're videos were awesome. It reminds me of how nice the trails are back East where I'm from. Idaho has lots of mountains but you gotta love those technical forest trails! I'll post pics of my build when it comes next week. My first 29er also so I'll post my thoughts.

Members who have read this thread: 0