Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suffers From Binge Biking

Replacement For Frame Pivot Bolt

Well hey guys,
    With only two rides on my new Ace and just before the weather turned nice, I broke the black bolt that holds the black pivot bracket to the down tube (is there a name for this part?). Based on info I obtained directly from Sette, I started torquing down all the bolts on the rear triangle and shock. Most were snug, but going by the provided torque spec of 12nM for this bolt, this one felt very loose so I started tightening it but snapped the head off before it got to 12nM.

I contacted Sette again asking where I can purchase a replacement bolt, but it's been a couple days and still no word. Is this bolt set common, that I might be able to get a new one from my LBS? My other thought was that I might be able to get a steel tube from a hardware store- the same diameter that's used for this bolt set, and then just clamp it with a nut and bolt. This is a major bummer and any help would be appreciated!
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

...idios...
    It's unlikely to be anything too out of the ordinary, so chances are a good hardware store or fittings supplier will be able to fix you up. Take the old bolt along with you. Could you post a picture up here?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

This is the bolt I broke. The diameter is approx. 7.9mm/ 0.31"

DSCF6927

The bracket it came from
    DSCF6928

AZ
    banned
    Your probably going to have to contact Price Point/Sette for a replacement . Bolt for the frame end of the "dog bone" . Good luck .

I thought I had remembered someone else on here breaking this same bolt, though I can't find the thread in the search and don't remember the outcome. I'll try giving PP a call tomorrow and see if they can help me out.

BTW- does anyone know how tight this bolt should actually be, or do you guys pretty much just leave it alone?

AZ
    banned
    There is a thread in this forum that has the Ace torque specs .

mtbr member
    My First stop would be a LBS, see if they have a bolt from another bike that would fit. 12nm is the correct torque for that, so unless your torque wrench is significantly off I would wager it had another issue before you attempted to tighten it.

PP customer service is pretty good. Give them a call see if you cant get a free bolt.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am the one who broke the bolt about a year ago. I contacted Sette and Pricepoint numerous times. Sette would not repsond to my numerous e-mails. Pricepoint kept saying they would send a bolt every time I would call, but now a year later that bolt never came. I ended up going to the LBS and getting a replacement that was steel instead of the stock aluminum. It may be a little heavier, but that aluminum nut is so weak I am happy to have the steel one.

Anyways don't hold you breath expecting Pricepoint to get you a new bolt.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Ok well I just got off the phone with PP who said they'd send out a new bolt today. So hoping my luck might be a little better than yours ljsmith, I'll give it until next Friday before asking around at my LBSs. I'll keep you guys updated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh rider
    Ok well I just got off the phone with PP who said they'd send out a new bolt today. So hoping my luck might be a little better than yours ljsmith, I'll give it until next Friday before asking around at my LBSs. I'll keep you guys updated.
    If you dont receive a tracking number for the bolt I would call them again.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    If you dont receive a tracking number for the bolt I would call them again.
    Would they provide a tracking number if they're sending me a bolt for free? After all, that does cost them more money.

mtbr member
    Would they provide a tracking number if they're sending me a bolt for free? After all, that does cost them more money.
    I think they will actually start it like a actual order, so you might get a tracking number. Give them a call any ways if you dont get one, to see if they shipped it.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

I just called back and talked with the same guy who said it was already shipped out, but since it was via US mail there would be no tracking number. Looks like I'll be up and running soon!

mtbr member
    I just called back and talked with the same guy who said it was already shipped out, but since it was via US mail there would be no tracking number. Looks like I'll be up and running soon!
    Nice where they able to confirm a torque spec?

Price Point really only has 2 customer service reps I think. I believe Dictatorsaurus knows there names by heart by now.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Nice where they able to confirm a torque spec?

Price Point really only has 2 customer service reps I think. I believe Dictatorsaurus knows there names by heart by now.
    Lol...They know me by name too by now.

They're actually pretty helpful. The items that I have had problems with they didn't even ask to ship them back. I just email them a picture and find the replacement in my mail box a week later.

Has anyone had issues with the torque specs with the Flite too?

It looks like it's the same KHS AM2000 frame so I'm guessing the specs are similar or at least close?

I didn't bother asking about the torque specs since I figure PP just sells the bikes, they don't assemble them or anything. When I emailed Sette asking about the specs, I got the same picture posted in "Sette Ace Torque Specs" thread. I'll just snug the bolt down to what I think it should be (but no where NEAR 12nM) and just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not coming loose.

mtbr member
    I didn't bother asking about the torque specs since I figure PP just sells the bikes, they don't assemble them or anything. When I emailed Sette asking about the specs, I got the same picture posted in "Sette Ace Torque Specs" thread. I'll just snug the bolt down to what I think it should be (but no where NEAR 12nM) and just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not coming loose.
    Use some blue loctite on it, that will keep it from backing back out.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Well just to keep you all updated, I just got my replacement bolt today (though it came last week while I was away). Installed that along with a new Easton handlebar and everything's in top shape ready to ride! PP's customer service came through for me and I'm satisfied Oh btw, I checked in with my lbs for a replacement bolt and they didn't have anything close to it.

ljsmith, do you remember what bike manufacturer your replacement bolt was for, or what makes were sold at the lbs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey, I've got a Garry Fisher HIFI Pro Carbon 2009.
    I've got the smallest clicking noise in one of the pivots.
    It could be the Fox RP23 I'm not sure but sounds like a pivot.

I lift the bike off the ground hit the back wheel and it clicks then drop it it clicks again does anyone know what this problem is?

Last time i had this problem it was a lose pivot.

I know i should just get out there and make the most of it but at the moment im having trouble with finance's so i can't afford for anything to go wrong.

hope to hear from you soon

yours sincerely
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv
    Hey, I've got a Garry Fisher HIFI Pro Carbon 2009.
    I've got the smallest clicking noise in one of the pivots.
    It could be the Fox RP23 I'm not sure but sounds like a pivot.

I lift the bike off the ground hit the back wheel and it clicks then drop it it clicks again does anyone know what this problem is?

Last time i had this problem it was a lose pivot.

I know i should just get out there and make the most of it but at the moment im having trouble with finance's so i can't afford for anything to go wrong.

hope to hear from you soon

yours sincerely
    Wayne
    Tried checking the pivots for something loosen or for dirt?
    Sette Ace Custom

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamud
    Tried checking the pivots for something loosen or for dirt?
    I checked all the pivots are tight.
    i have not cycled in that much mud yet.
    Everything seems to be really tight they don't move
    shall i go to a shop and get it looked at o just keep on riding till it breaks?
    or will it even brake.

yours sincerely
    Wayne

mtbr member
    I checked all the pivots are tight.
    i have not cycled in that much mud yet.
    Everything seems to be really tight they don't move
    shall i go to a shop and get it looked at o just keep on riding till it breaks?
    or will it even brake.

yours sincerely
    Wayne
    If the clicking is constant I would recommend taking the bike to a good mechanic.
    Sette Ace Custom

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If the clicking is constant I would recommend taking the bike to a good mechanic.
    Ok thank you for the advise.
    it only clicks when i hit the top of the wheel and then drop the bike once not all the time so i was just wondering if there's a little bit of movement in the pivots?
    I'll go to a machanic as soon as possible.
    Many thanks

Yours sincerely
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Ok thank you for the advise.
    it only clicks when i hit the top of the wheel and then drop the bike once not all the time so i was just wondering if there's a little bit of movement in the pivots?
    I'll go to a machanic as soon as possible.
    Many thanks

Yours sincerely
    Wayne
    Could you post a photo of the bike??
    Sette Ace Custom

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Could you post a photo of the bike??
    No but i have it on my profile page here's the link
    http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=518310

Yours sincerely