NedwannaB

Reken seat tube sizing/slipping

I've tried all 4 of my different seat posts that I have (Thompson/Moots Ti/Easton EC90/CC Thudbuster etc.)and it seems like the i.d. of seat tube itself is off abit.

I have the adj seat clamp that came on frame cranked down way harder than normal on my other bikes. Worried that in time it may warp or ovalize causing more damage. I remember seeing a similar thread post where someone cut a section of a Red Bull can to use as a wrap around shim. May have to try that.

Anyone have an issue with their seat post on the Reken being unusually loose before clamping?

Thanks in advance
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    I have seen this a bit on the Reken and all the time on my Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. Both use a 27.2 seatpost which I think is more of the issue. I use a soda can shim on the Jamis and finally resorted to a bolted seatpost clamp, that eliminated my issue. You can also try carbon paste in the seat tube. The paste work a bit, but never fully solved my issue.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I have seen this a bit on the Reken and all the time on my Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. Both use a 27.2 seatpost which I think is more of the issue. I use a soda can shim on the Jamis and finally resorted to a bolted seatpost clamp, that eliminated my issue. You can also try carbon paste in the seat tube. The paste work a bit, but never fully solved my issue.

More of a seat tubing material tolarence they use then the posts. I have not had problem with any of the many other frame the posts have been on. Was planning to get a bolted seatpost clamp but figured I'd have a little extra leverage for now til I decide on which one. And yes carbon paste was used. Oh well, $100 frame bound to have some QC issues...

As for the RedBull can, whew!!!! Haven't tasted one of those in a long while. Have to get my heart rate back under control now before I can even think about cutting out shim stock from the can!!

mtbr member
    I am having the same problem. I'll try the carbon paste and see if that helps .

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1 View Post
    I am having the same problem. I'll try the carbon paste and see if that helps .
    Redbull can worked great. Will probably put some ti prep paste on mine so I won't chance damage to my Moots seatpost!