mtbr member

Razzo at the Snotcycle

Took the Razzo out last weekend for the Snotcycle race in Leesburg, VA. The 30% chance of snow that was forecasted started out with light flurries and we ended up getting dumped with up to 4 inches. The race would have been something else had it been this coming weekend with 18 inches forecasted.

Lots of slipping and sliding and 2-wheel drifting. The course which was quite frozen and fast early in the day changed characteristics quickly after being blanketed with a growing layer of snow. Icy spots in the turns and descents made for some gnarly riding. On some descents, it was just point the bike down hill and hang on for dear life because the tires have no more traction and if you touch your brakes, you will wipe out. Unfortunately, I did hit the ground a couple of times and managed to put a nice dent on my top tube from one of the ice covered rocks .

First race of the year and I had an awesome time . Bike felt great. First race on a 29er. Compared to riding a 26er last year, the Razzo felt much more stable and faster in spite of worse conditions this year. Swapping out the riser bar with a flat put me in a more comfortable position. The Ardents had pretty good traction and looking back, I probably should've dropped the pressure some more. Looking forward to the next race in March.

More pic links and vids of the Snotcycle here: Snotcycle 2010

mtbr member
    great pic and write up... looks like fun
    Let me ask a question. Just out of curiosity, have you been able to ride the Air9 that's on the rack and compare the two.
    I know they are two different beasts, but just curious on what you thought.

mtbr member
    What place did you finish? To bad your top tube took a hit, but if its not cracked then all is good.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    great pic and write up... looks like fun
    Let me ask a question. Just out of curiosity, have you been able to ride the Air9 that's on the rack and compare the two.
    I know they are two different beasts, but just curious on what you thought.
    I've ridden the Air 9 before I got my Razzo. The frame is a medium and the top tube length is a little longer than what I was used to so it has a more stretched out position. It felt fast and very stable (bear in mind I was still on a 26er then). These characteristics are also on my Razzo but the Air 9 seems to accelerate quicker - again this is strictly seat of pants feel and nothing scientific to back that up. Weight-wise, that Air 9 is almost 2 lbs lighter than my Razzo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    What place did you finish? To bad your top tube took a hit, but if its not cracked then all is good.
    Ended up rolling in at 20 out of 50 riders in Cat 2 Sport 40+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eujinc
    I've ridden the Air 9 before I got my Razzo. The frame is a medium and the top tube length is a little longer than what I was used to so it has a more stretched out position. It felt fast and very stable (bear in mind I was still on a 26er then). These characteristics are also on my Razzo but the Air 9 seems to accelerate quicker - again this is strictly seat of pants feel and nothing scientific to back that up. Weight-wise, that Air 9 is almost 2 lbs lighter than my Razzo.

I kind of expected an answer like that. Thanks.
    Again.. great looking ride...keep it up

mtbr member
    I rode a Giat xtc 29er a few weeks ago and liked it a lot. The shop wanted $2000 for it.

When I got home I looked at the Razzo and did a comparison between the Giant and the Razzo. The Razzo had better components and and weighed a little less. Also cost $800 less. I was very impressed.

Now the Razzo on my list to get in the distant future. The polished aluminum look is just killer on that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    I rode a Giat xtc 29er a few weeks ago and liked it a lot. The shop wanted $2000 for it.

When I got home I looked at the Razzo and did a comparison between the Giant and the Razzo. The Razzo had better components and and weighed a little less. Also cost $800 less. I was very impressed.

Now the Razzo on my list to get in the distant future. The polished aluminum look is just killer on that bike.
    Do you think the weight difference is mostly in the components? My 26" xtc is 21lb. mostly because the frame is so light. I wonder how the Sette would stack up agents an xtc29er with the same parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Do you think the weight difference is mostly in the components? My 26" xtc is 21lb. mostly because the frame is so light. I wonder how the Sette would stack up agents an xtc29er with the same parts.
    I think it would be neat to get a frame and throw a few lighter parts in wheels and tires and such and see how it does

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I think it would be neat to get a frame and throw a few lighter parts in wheels and tires and such and see how it does

I think its tough to compare the 2 with really different build kits.

mtbr member
    How much does the 18" xtc 29er frame weight?

I know the Razzo is 3.2lb.

$800 dollar difference is a HUGE difference especially since the Razzo is spec'd better than the Giant.

mtbr member

$800 dollar difference is a HUGE difference especially since the Razzo is spec'd better than the Giant.
    I don't know and I agree $800 is allot of money when the parts on the Razzo are allot better. But I tend to buy frames and then build them how I want. I'm really bad with bikes I can't leave them alone when there stock. I stopped buying stock bikes because I end up changing every thing any way.

mtbr member
    I don't know and I agree $800 is allot of money when the parts on the Razzo are allot better. But I tend to buy frames and then build them how I want. I'm really bad with bikes I can't leave them alone when there stock. I stopped buying stock bikes because I end up changing every thing any way.
    Looks like building up is the right thing for you.

I would have done the same. Except my decision is based on cost that's why I buy full bikes.

$200 for that frame is a pretty darn good price for that frame if you ask me.

Cuánto pesa?
    I'm really bad with bikes I can't leave them alone when there stock. I stopped buying stock bikes because I end up changing every thing any way.

I hear ya there

mtbr member
    I was actually specing out parts for a 29er build last summer. With the Razzo frame and all parts combined, I was looking in the neighborhood of $1800 for a complete bike. Then PP announced the complete Razzo bike and it was tough to pass up based on the price they were asking. Granted it doesn't have all the stuff I want but I'll change them out when they break. Besides, I think I would have no patience to slowly build up a bike. I just want to ride it right away .

mtbr member
    I have 3 other bikes and a second road bike I'm buying parts for here and there. So I can take the time. My biggest problem is still the geometry for a 17in 29er. Every one I try has toe overlap with 175mm cranks.

mtbr member
    If you have the parts, like I have laying around, it's hard to pass up the frame for $200.
    But if you need a whole bike...wow, it's a deal.
    I just need a frame to get me by for a bit until another project I have going on, is finished.

mtbr member
    I need to strip my full suspension and sell off the frame fork and wheels. They would more then pay for a new frame and fork. Well maybe not the fork but it would definitely get me close. I would have every thing I need.

mtbr member

It looks like there the same weight. But the giant is 6001 and the Razzo is 7005. I'm betting ride quality might be different. But that could be hard to tell with a front shock and mountain bike tires.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by eujinc
    Took the Razzo out last weekend for the Snotcycle race in Leesburg, VA. The 30% chance of snow that was forecasted started out with light flurries and we ended up getting dumped with up to 4 inches. The race would have been something else had it been this coming weekend with 18 inches forecasted.

Lots of slipping and sliding and 2-wheel drifting. The course which was quite frozen and fast early in the day changed characteristics quickly after being blanketed with a growing layer of snow. Icy spots in the turns and descents made for some gnarly riding. On some descents, it was just point the bike down hill and hang on for dear life because the tires have no more traction and if you touch your brakes, you will wipe out. Unfortunately, I did hit the ground a couple of times and managed to put a nice dent on my top tube from one of the ice covered rocks .

First race of the year and I had an awesome time . Bike felt great. First race on a 29er. Compared to riding a 26er last year, the Razzo felt much more stable and faster in spite of worse conditions this year. Swapping out the riser bar with a flat put me in a more comfortable position. The Ardents had pretty good traction and looking back, I probably should've dropped the pressure some more. Looking forward to the next race in March.

More pic links and vids of the Snotcycle here: Snotcycle 2010
    Nice Pics
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    Nice Pics
    Thanks. Next year, I will try to keep up with that guy in the blue Niner.