GO BLUE!!

Protection against chain suck

I recently built up a Sette Serum and was concerned about the possibility of chain suck messing up the frame. After looking around the Internet and not finding a good solution, I decided to make my own. I ended up using aluminum flashing for roofs and 3M Auto attachment tape. Below are some pictures of the final product.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

Cow Clicker
    Nice! I used Shelter on my chain stay along and up and behind my chain rings. Saved me a few times already. I also have it along my downtube and a few places where the cables rub the frame.

Shelter Bicycle Frame Protection - YouTube
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

GO BLUE!!
    Interesting product. I ended up using Crankskins bike protection for the other parts of the bike. The chainsuck protector I made up only cost, maybe, a couple dollars in materials. The flashing was less than $.70.

Cow Clicker
    Yeah, the stuff is comparatively expensive. I will say, since you have fantastic fabrication skills, that I did chip my clear coat on the bottom bracket pulling the chain back out. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have done something to protect that area between the chainring and bb.

GO BLUE!!
    Thanks. It's not that hard since flashing is very easy to bend. All I did was make a template out of thin cardboard and trace it on the aluminum, then cut it out using tin snips. Applied the 3M tape and trimmed it with scissors.

After my build and upon making adjustments, the chain dropped a few times as well and was hard to get out. I don't like that either and wish there was something to put there. If I did make something to put there, it would have to be a thicker aluminum that what I used here.

Cow Clicker
    I wish the Shelter had a thinner version that could shape around the curves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nice, i have make also a protector but from stainless steel, because aluminium is softer

you can look on: search in google on pinbike robertbrand

or

www dot chainsuckprotector dot com

also on ebay i sell my custom made product