mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My SS Reken, built up with sale parts from various online retailers

FSA 32t bashguard

Very, very fun bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ^warning^
    Does anybody know if a 2.4 or 2.5 size tires will work with this frame?

i have a 2.4 maxxis holy roller on the back of mine, fits fine but i dont think i would go any larger

mtbr member
    The Reken I had, since been sold...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Reken-108_0042.jpg  

Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCG
    My SS Reken
    Sweet! So what's your magic gear combo - 32x14? I ordered a red size 14" Reken ($80!) for my 9-year-old son & it arrives tomorrow. The initial build will be with gears, but introducing him to singlespeeding is inevitable . According to the FixMeUp! gadget @ eehouse.org/fixin the 42.4 cm chainstay looks to give an excellent range of magic gear ratios (32x14, 34x16, 36x18, 38x20) ...

winbert
    avitar grooming my future stoker :-)...

"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
    "My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
    "Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward

DCG
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The gearing is 32x16, with a half-link in the chain. Works great! it's put together using the spacers and the 16t cog from the Forte single speed kit at performancebike.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    building one right now actually. took the frame in to the shop to have em press the cups (i need a press) and the dude looked it over really hard. said the welds were good and then asked where I got it. I said PP I dont think he liked that - i'll post pics when its ready.

I put an Intense 2.35 (more like 2.45 huge knobs) tire on the rear and it barely rubbed the stays
    I put a motoraptor 2.4 (more like 2.35) on the rear and it cleared the stays just fine

I love the weight so far.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Does anyone have pics of a completed 14" Reken? I'm about to order one for my GF, but I'm concerned that it may be too big. She's 5'2" with a 28" inseam. Whatcha think?

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Does anyone have pics of a completed 14" Reken? I'm about to order one for my GF, but I'm concerned that it may be too big. She's 5'2" with a 28" inseam. Whatcha think?

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    Here's a pic of a 14" Reken that I just built for my 9-year-old son. He's 4' 8" (4' 9" w/ riding shoes on), and with a 50mm stem it fits him pretty well (with some room for him to grow). With the seat at the height in the pic he can just barely get his tip-toes on the ground while in the saddle. The standover height is ~28" near the middle of the top tube, but I expect that to increase a smidge when we put knobbies on it. Looking for some 170mm cranks as the 175's are a bit of a stretch for him right now.

It appears to be a pretty decent frame (especially for the price!), but only time will tell. As pictured it's about 22 lbs...

Good luck,
    winbert

avitar grooming my future stoker :-)...

"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
    "My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
    "Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    updated pic of mine, actually outside this time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Red Sette Reken build

Just finished this one up. Very happy with it overall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The red looks pretty cool, built up.

How much travel are you running on your front fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    100mm on the fork, seems to suit the frame geometery perfectly. Bike is mostly ridden street right now, Conti SportContact semi-slicks, fork on locked mode. Fun bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just traded an older road frame for this complete Reken. Has mostly LX gear with a XT rear der and bomber fork. I'm looking for some info on the bomber, going to post some pix in that forum.

So far all I've done is clean up and tune up so not real sure on the ridding of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

My Reken build.

Here is my build.
    I had a 2000 Santa Cruz Heckler that has sat as a spare bike since I got a 2008 Heckler. I took all the parts off it and used them. The only thing I bought new were tires, and a brake cable...
    I wanted to try a hardtail again after 10 years of full sus bikes. I rode it 32 miles yesterday and besides my back being a little sore from a more laid out posture it was a blast!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here is my build. This is my first real MTB.

Mavic CrossRides with Panaracer FireXC
    SRAM X.9
    Truvativ Stylo 2.2
    SID Race
    Cane Creek S8
    BB7
    Truvativ cockpit

All in all I like it a lot. Fairly light (haven't weighed) and nimble on the singletrack. Only other thing I am thinking I might change is bigger rotors and a more better wheelset like the CrossMax. The CrossRides work well but they are a little flexy.

Jason

Paper Mill Aleworks
    My well used Reken stead.
    Put together on the cheap, and has been a joy to own and ride...I still break her out for a ride from time to time.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

crappy cell phone pic...

Built that for my brother. STX/RC cranks, STX/RC rear hub laced to sun rim, formula front hub. OLD RS Judy fork, Sachs 8spd grip shifters, Acera-X rear derailleur, Acera front, Specialized tires... cheap slicks in pic were just what I had on the wheels at the time...

Was built from parts I had from a cracked frame. I was VERY impressed with quality of this frame, although they should spray a few coats of clear and allow frames to dry/cure longer before shipping. It chipped paint off the chainstay from my brother pulling wheelies (he was pretty excited to have his first decent quality bike). If my Access XCL frame ever fails, I will purchase a matte black Reken for myself. Great value for the money!

twa
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New Sette Reken build

16" Sette Reken

I'm using almost all the donor parts from my 2007 Motobecane Fantom Team.

Different parts:
    Aereon Ti saddle
    Oooold Richey seatpoast

Donated from the moto:
    Rock Shox Sid Team (100mm) w/ lockout
    FSA carbon cranks / BB
    shimano m525 pedals
    XTR rear der 9sp
    XTR front der
    XTR thumb shifters
    SRAM cassette / chain
    Avid single digit 7 vbrakes / levers
    26" motobecane wheels (dont' know weight, but pretty light)
    Moto riser handlebar
    Giant road stem (90mm)
    ODI ruffian lock-on grips
    IRC mythos 2.1's (looking for new rubber for the summer)

I dropped the frame and bike off at the shop this past Saturday and can't wait to check out the transformation. The SID team is matte black so it should look pretty sweet.

Murder for hire
    [QUOTE=twa]16" Sette Reken

sweet! post pics when its built! im looking into buying the same frame in a size 16. how tall are you?
    "Nuke'em!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

27.4 lbs

18 inch frame i'm 6' and it fits great.

My first frame was a 20" and it was huge

twa
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

16" Sette Reken built

Quote Originally Posted by sturmruger

sweet! post pics when its built! im looking into buying the same frame in a size 16. how tall are you?
    I'm 5'8". My 16" reken is tipping the scales at 24.6lbs. The shop did a great job transferring the parts. My XTR rear der didn't make it onto the bike because of a bent adjustment screw where it mounts to the dropout. There is a newer model XT (2008?) der. on there now and I think it might shift quicker than the older xtr der. Now I need the snow to melt!!!

Final part list:

Rock Shox Sid Team (100mm)
    FSA carbon cranks / BB
    shimano m525 pedals
    XT rear der 9sp
    XTR front der
    XTR thumb shifters
    SRAM cassette / chain
    Avid single digit 7 vbrakes / levers
    Ti Saddle
    Generic black 27.2 seatpost (bought used from shop)
    26" motobecane wheels (dont' know weight, but pretty light)
    Moto riser handlebar
    Giant road stem (90mm)
    ODI ruffian lock-on grips
    IRC mythos 2.1's (Going to install 2.3" Prowler MX and 2.3" Prowler XT, weight will rise at least 300grams)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone have problems indexing the rear derailleur... I had to bend mine outward slightly so it would index.

twa
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm
    Anyone have problems indexing the rear derailleur... I had to bend mine outward slightly so it would index.

Naw, my mechanic installed and adjusted it in front of me in a few minutes. He made it look easy. My xtr one was bent so he provided me a replacement option during the build.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast