Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Update on a stock razzo sc

I have three XC races under my belt along with a handful of rides on the stock SC having converted the wheels to tubeless. I still feel like this is a solid XC machine. My only complaint is a bit of a jack hammer effect from the rear when riding root filled terrain. This is probably more symptomatic of a hardtail than it is of this particular bike but here in the northeast where we have lots of roots it can be a bit jarring. Going for a bigger gear and staying out of the saddle decreases the impact. I'm not sure that the tire/rim combo is the best for tubeless however I've ridden quite a bit of terrain that others were riding with bigger (2.2) tires and not had traction issues with the stock 2.0 running at 23psi or so.

I also bought some black vinyl and covered over the down tube Sette logo- it makes the bike look a bit more subtle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Missing race, too

The only hiccup was when I tried to install the forks. The Niner fork I'm installing is non tapered and the frame did not include the 1 1/8" reducer crown race. I thought the website listed that both the 1.5 and the 1 1/8" reducer came with the frame. That's a bummer. Im sure Price Point will send me out one tomorrow but that means the build is postponed until I can get the right race. I'll call around to all the better bike shops in town tomorrow but doubt I will find one locally. Till then
    My carbon Razzo only came with the tapered crown race, too. I was putting a tapered fork on, though, so I was happy. Sorry you had to dink around with that. Crappy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was heading in the direction of a steel hardtail to move my parts over to when I checked the PP site and saw the Razzo's. Never owned anything CF except for a seat post and thinking it's about time.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the SC and non SC version.

Will the XL fit someone 6'05".

Is the bike intended for XC race or can it also handle rough trail riding which is all I have here in southern BC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz View Post
    I was heading in the direction of a steel hardtail to move my parts over to when I checked the PP site and saw the Razzo's. Never owned anything CF except for a seat post and thinking it's about time.

Is the bike intended for XC race or can it also handle rough trail riding which is all I have here in southern BC.
    I was never able to figure out all the differences between the SC and Non-SC. A couple I noticed are:
    1. There is a geometry differnece in the headtubes on the Non-SC. You'll notice there is a note that says the Non-SC 17" doesn't work with tapered forks.
    2. The SC comes in a 15" and the Non-SC does not.

By the geometry the bike is intended to be an all around XCer. I've been riding mine for a few months now and love it. I've been thrashing it around our brutal desert trails and have been blown away. I weigh 220 lbs' and the bike feels super stiff and responsive. In fact, I love the frame so much I bought a second one for my son. I own two of these frames and can't say enough about them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the response palmermtb. Seems like such an amazing deal and glad to hear people are more than happy with the frame.

Sorry for the hijack and let's get back to seeing more Razzo photos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz View Post

Differences between SC and non SC Razzo's:
    1) SC is carbon, regular is 7005 AL
    2) SC has a tapered HT
    3) SC uses 31.6" seatpost, vs 27.2"
    4) SC maximum tire width is 2.2", vs 2.3" for the non-SC
    5) Geometry differences: SC has shorter chainstays (445 vs 450mm), a slacker seat tube angle, a lower BB height, and a significantly lower standover height.
    6) Size differences: The SC is apparently a smaller bike.

At my height of 6' 2.5", my best fit would be a XL SC or a L non-SC. This really depends on your inseem and torso/arm length. I have long legs and short arms for my height, so I fit better on bikes with a shorter effective top-tube length.

If you compare the $1300 AL frame Razzo XT to the $1700 SC X7, you will see the build spec is very similar. They share the same RS Recon Gold fork and same wheelset/tires. The brakes are a little higher spec on the non-SC Razzo. The shifters and derailleurs come down to your preference of SRAM (X7) vs Shimano (SLX, but XT rear derailleur). The SC is apparently 1 lb lighter.

I don't own either bike, just shopping and comparing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had an aluminum Razzo (recently sold) and I still have my carbon Razzo. Medium on the aluminum fit great for me at 5'10", though I wish I had a longer stem on it. I felt a little bit bunched up. For the carbon I went with the large 19" frame. Feels great, just a bit longer top tube. It definately feels bigger standing over it, but I'm not too concerned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sorry, 33" inseam, if I'm measuring it correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    And some pics...

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    teoblar, nice build! That looks good.

Is that the 15mm t/a niner fork?

Can't tell from pics:

Grips?
    Pedals?
    Saddle?
    Crank?
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah, it's the new RDO 15mm thru axle fork. I haven't really had a chance to ride it yet, so I'm not sure how it performs.

Grips are Ergon. Pedals are Time AllRoad dual platform, not the most hard core but good for when I have to drag the kids around. Saddle is Bontrager inForm RL with hollow stainless steel rails, and the crank is a triple RaceFace Deus XC.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Can I run a 90 mm fork on this frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

My New Carbon Sette Build

I just finished my Carbon Sette 29er build and wanted to show it off.

Frame: Sette Carbon Razzo 29er - 19" matte black
    Fork: Reba RL
    Group: SRAM X7 triggers, derailleurs, & crankset
    Wheelset: Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R
    Bars, Stem, Post: Crank Bros Cobalt 3
    Grips: Sette Lockons
    Pedals: Shimano PD-M424
    Seat: Charge Spoon
    Tires: Maxxis Aspens
    Computer: Cateye Strada Wireless

Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-2013-02-03-17.56.19.jpgPost Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-2013-02-03-17.56.06.jpg

The build turned out great. It's a lot sharper looking than I originally thought it would/could be. It's pretty sexy and weighed in at 24.5lbs as pictured w/out the seatbag.

Took it on it's first real hard ride today and came away pretty impressed. I'm coming from an alum Airborne Goblin and the difference was noticeable. I climbed the hell out of a few hills that have been giving me trouble on my 2 previous mounts. Not sure if that was due to the weight savings (1.75lbs), the slightly different body position/geometry, or just the adrenaline of pushing a new bike. I crash over some pretty heavy roots on my home trail and all of that felt very muted as compared to my alum frame. My alum frame was pretty jarring over some of my typical sections and I felt none of that today on the new carbon ride. Front wheel on the Sette wasn't as easy to pop off the ground which can be good and bad depending on situation. The bike was really grounded and connected on some of the hairier downhills drops we have. Once I got comfortable, it felt like I was twisting and turning through the woody tight singletrack faster than usual and on the field straights I was hitting 16-18mph on the computer.

Overall very pleased with the $400 used carbon frame.
    Last edited by Texasduffer; 02-05-2013 at 06:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am selling this 19" frame on Ebay if anyone is interested. It is item #111011939467. Should fit riders 5'9" to 6'-0". VERY lightly used. Includes Headset, Salsa Lip Lock seat collar, Chainstay and downtube protector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-setterazzo-035.jpg  

Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-setterazzo-041.jpg  

Last edited by epiphreddy; 02-26-2013 at 08:21 AM.

NedwannaB
    Why? What size? What are you getting to replace?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It is a Large, 19". I prefer my full suspension Niner Jet RDO due to the roughness of my local trails. I built the Sette for the occasional race which I seldom do. The bike has sat idle for too long. I rode it 2 or 3 times in 2012 and it just takes up space in my garage. It is an awesome bike but I just turned 47 and much prefer full suspension. It might have 20 rides on it total. It is in great shape. Full specs, pics, and info can be seen on Ebay, item #111011939467.

NedwannaB
    Yeah, heard once you go RDO, it's uh OHver for other bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, not to mention once you go over 40 years old you need full suspension!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Yes, not to mention once you go over 40 years old you need full suspension!
    Whoops, I missed that boat 15 years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    JMAC47, you ride a hardtail and it is rough or smooth where you ride?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    JMAC47, you ride a hardtail and it is rough or smooth where you ride?
    Yes. All of the above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [/QUOTE]

Took it on it's first real hard ride today and came away pretty impressed. I'm coming from an alum Airborne Goblin and the difference was noticeable. I climbed the hell out of a few hills that have been giving me trouble on my 2 previous mounts. Not sure if that was due to the weight savings (1.75lbs), the slightly different body position/geometry, or just the adrenaline of pushing a new bike. I crash over some pretty heavy roots on my home trail and all of that felt very muted as compared to my alum frame. My alum frame was pretty jarring over some of my typical sections and I felt none of that today on the new carbon ride. Front wheel on the Sette wasn't as easy to pop off the ground which can be good and bad depending on situation. The bike was really grounded and connected on some of the hairier downhills drops we have. Once I got comfortable, it felt like I was twisting and turning through the woody tight singletrack faster than usual and on the field straights I was hitting 16-18mph on the computer.

Overall very pleased with the $400 used carbon frame.[/QUOTE]

I have a Green Goblin and was thinking of one of these builds. Does it feel bunched up compared to the Goblin? I've always felt like my Airborne was stretched out. Not that it was bad, I've demoed some bikes recently that feel like they are more underneath me than my Goblin. I do like the Airborne though. Just thinking of a carbon 1x10 build or maybe ss.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quite the opposite. I feel a little more stretched out on the Sette vs. Goblin. If I remember correctly when I was comparing geometry, the Sette was about 3/4" longer overall than the Goblin. I was a pretty big Airborne homer with two previous bikes, but I hadn't even thought about the Goblin since the switchover till you mentioned it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

SETTE razo carbon 29er build up, 24 lb

Figured i'd post my recent build here, as when I was building her up had a hard time finding images of this bike. I decided to go with this frame mostly because of cost, knowing I'd probably break it eventually =). I ride pretty hard here in Phx Az and have put this bike through a couple intense 40mile rides around south mountain on everything from bangin smooth 27mph false flats to steep climbs and technical descents. pretty happy with the frame thus far, my only beef is the rear seems a bit bouncy, even with low tire pressure (18-24psi). with the 100mm fox fork the geometry is pretty comfortable and I was quite surprised at how well it climbs and rails corners. I did a custom fab ace hardware spacer setup to run the rear 180mm rotor but its worked flawlessly so far. little heavy at 24 lb flat but that's with the heavy flow rims, but I wanted the width for cornering. 2.2 captain front and 2.3 purgatory rear, with plenty of clearance in the rear triangle. the XTR 988 15mm thru front hub is a beast, best out there IMO. custom fab'd the rock guard (serious problem in AZ riding) which I cut out of a 1/32" piece of carbon I got off ebay. Really like the cable routing, internal guides made for super easy setup, clean looking, and minimal cable underneath the bar, with virtually no cable rub.

Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-img_3854.jpgPost Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-img_3858.jpgPost Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-img_3864.jpgPost Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-img_3865.jpgPost Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-img_3873.jpgPost Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-img_3895.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-photo.jpg

Here's my build I did over the winter. The bike is awesome, the frame seems to be really stiff and transfer power well.
    Specs-
    Frame - Sette Razzo SC 19"
    Fork - Specialized Chisel carbon
    Wheels - Stan's Arch EX
    Bars- Sworks carbon mini rise
    Stem- Ritchey WCS C260
    Brakes - BB7
    Shifters - X0 10 speed
    FD - X0
    RD - X9 type 2
    Crank - X9 42/28
    Chain - KMC X10sl