Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    A carbon frame is not going to make you bounce less or be more comfortable. It will be stiffer.
    Not true. Carbon (like aluminum, steel, or ti) can be super stiff or noodle flexy depending on how the carbon is laid out. There are also many different types of carbon fiber cloth with different strength and flex characteristics.

"Carbon bikes are stiffer" is a total oversimplification of the process. It's all about how the carbon cloth is laid out, the directions the fabric is laid, the type of CF cloth being used, and a number of other factors. Because carbon layup and manufacturing has improved so much over the last 10 years, there are endless variations in carbon frame design. A quick google search on carbon fiber cloth or materials will show that there are many, many different types out there.

There are 2.1 pound ultralight road frames at one end of the scale, and carbon DH bikes with 10" of travel at the other. It's about the design and layout, not the material.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've ridden both. I've had the Al frame for about 2.5 yrs, and the carbon for about a week. I've only got maybe 50 miles on it so far.

Swapped all the components straight across with the exception of going from a Thomson 27.2 post on the AL frame to a 31.6 carbon post on the carbon frame.

Can't say I noticed a huge difference in the ride quality between the two. They both feel like hardtails to me. Both seem plenty stiff out of the saddle.

I'm running 2.3 tires at or below 20 psi, so that is where the vast majority of any cushion is coming from in back.

Really, really like the internal cable routing on the carbon frame though. Was super simple to set up the derailluer cables and the shifting is much improved. Still have the rear hydraulic line electrical taped to the outside of the frame. Need to install a longer line than what I had on the AL frame and just got the hose kit in the mail.

The mfg specs said the AL frame has clearance for 2.3s max and the carbon only fits 2.2s, but the carbon frame has more room between the stays than my AL one does.

Oh...and being a carbon frame, chain slap is super loud. Couldn't stand it on the first ride, so I wrapped an old length of tube around the chainstay. That quieted it down to an acceptable level. Don't recall it being that loud on my last carbon HT frame, or on my carbon cyclocross bike, but whatever, it's an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post

Oh...and being a carbon frame, chain slap is super loud. Couldn't stand it on the first ride, so I wrapped an old length of tube around the chainstay. That quieted it down to an acceptable level. Don't recall it being that loud on my last carbon HT frame, or on my carbon cyclocross bike, but whatever, it's an easy fix.
    I also noticed this, plus the gravel from the front tire hits the frame and sounds like a Transformers movie.

I need to get some of that protective tape. You can buy it from a race car store in small lengths, it is called "helicopter tape"

Too Much Fun

New question here. Razzo as SS?

Anyone convert theirs to Singlespeed?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    I ran mine as a SS for a while. While it worked ok, it's never ideal running a none SS specific frame as SS unless you run an EBB or hub.

NedwannaB

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    it's never ideal running a none SS specific frame as SS unless you run an EBB or hub.
    How so?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Living the Dream

Chain Tension

Unless you run a tensionser (which looks getto IMO), it is nearly impossible to get the right chain length with the whatever chainring and cog you choose to run. That is why single speeds have EBBs or sliding dropouts. You don't want to drop a chain on a tough climb.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    How so?
    I used different types of tensioners and always had issues with chain skipping, dropping...etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a 17" Sette Razzo Carbon SC on Friday. Should be here in PHX by Tuesday. I will be running it SS and rigid. I'm striving for a sub 20 lbs ripper. I'll be using Paul's Melvin tensioner. I've been running my Motobecane FLY Ti 29er with the same tensioner for 6 months with no issues. I can be tricky to line it all up by measuring things with a ruller or calipers. Eyeballing it isn't enough. I'll post pics on later in the week.

Specs
    Frame - Razzo Carbon Sc
    Fork - Niner Carbon
    Wheelset - Chris King, Stan's Flow, Sapim spokes Al nipples
    Crankset - XT with Race Face 32t single ring
    Pedals - Crankbros Candies
    Bar - Easton Haven
    Grips - ESI
    Stem - Thomson
    Chain - KMC
    Cog - Generic 17t

Post - Kalloy Uno

NedwannaB

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a 17" Sette Razzo Carbon SC on Friday. Should be here in PHX by Tuesday. I will be running it SS and rigid. I'm striving for a sub 20 lbs ripper. I'll be using Paul's Melvin tensioner. I've been running my Motobecane FLY Ti 29er with the same tensioner for 6 months with no issues. I can be tricky to line it all up by measuring things with a ruller or calipers. Eyeballing it isn't enough. I'll post pics on later in the week.

Specs
    Frame - Razzo Carbon Sc
    Fork - Niner Carbon
    Wheelset - Chris King, Stan's Flow, Sapim spokes Al nipples
    Crankset - XT with Race Face 32t single ring
    Pedals - Crankbros Candies
    Bar - Easton Haven
    Grips - ESI
    Stem - Thomson
    Chain - KMC
    Cog - Generic 17t

Post - Kalloy Uno
    Which color did you get? Been looking at doing the same with one of the regular frames (black matte finish) but not any 15"-17" left.

That should be an inexpensive build for a single track ripper! Looking forward to finish build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Which color did you get? Been looking at doing the same with one of the regular frames (black matte finish) but not any 15"-17" left.

That should be an inexpensive build for a single track ripper! Looking forward to finish build.
    I got the Gloss Black and Tungsten Silver. I was going to get the Matte for the price but didn't like the fact that the 17" doesn't accomodate tapered forks. Also I don't believe they ever made a 15" in the Matte Black.

NedwannaB

Oh contraire~

Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb View Post
    I got the Gloss Black and Tungsten Silver. I was going to get the Matte for the price but didn't like the fact that the 17" doesn't accomodate tapered forks. Also I don't believe they ever made a 15" in the Matte Black.
    Complete bike. Didn't want to take a chance on fit and then have a bunch of spare parts plus frame to sell. At 5'-6 1/2" was riding the fence on size too. Tungstin would have been my choice in gloss too.

Sette Razzo SC X7 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Matte Black with Slate Blue at Price Point
    Last edited by JMac47; 06-25-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know how you feel I'm also. Steven sizes at 5' 8". I can ride a 17 or a 19. Due to the technical rocky terrain PHX I prefer a smaller frame.
    I was seriously contemplating the 19 this time since this bike will mostly be for the tamer trails.

What convinced me was the 15 day return policy. If it doesn't fit or you just don't like it after two weeks you can send it back. You'll have to pay for shipping but that's not too bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I received the frame today and unboxed it as soon as I got home. Holy cow is this thing light! The quality of the frame seems on par with the higher end brands. The paint and gloss finish seem flawless. I immediately installed a Chris King BB and found the threads chased and smooth the BB also looked like it was properly faced. I installed the seatpost and it fit perfectly as well.

The only hiccup was when I tried to install the forks. The Niner fork I'm installing is non tapered and the frame did not include the 1 1/8" reducer crown race. I thought the website listed that both the 1.5 and the 1 1/8" reducer came with the frame. That's a bummer. Im sure Price Point will send me out one tomorrow but that means the build is postponed until I can get the right race. I'll call around to all the better bike shops in town tomorrow but doubt I will find one locally. Till then

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    I love mine. Builds up easily to 23 Lbs or less with real tires, and a real saddle.
    The Crows might not be "real" tires, but the Fizik Tundra is a real saddle. Before slamming it, you might want to get on one and see how nice it feels. As an added bonus, they're not anchor weights like WTBs tend to be.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I call Pricepoint today to tell them about the missing crown race. I talk to Joseph in Sales who says that he'll send me a crown race ASAP. Then I get an email from him that says they don't have any extras and I should contact the manufacturer of the headset. WTF?

I replied and told him that the specs on their website show that both races come with the frame.

I called every bike shop in Phx and no one had the race. I went ahead and ordered one from Jensonusa and paid $20 extra to have it shipped 2day air.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341236973.849412.jpgFinally got the Razzo built up last night. Originally was going to be an SS and then changed my mind. Since this bike uses internal routing I have to order a new rear brake hose. As you can see im running the hose along the frame for now Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341237227.967279.jpg
    Post Your Carbon Razzo 29ers!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341237272.300541.jpg
    Can't wait to take on a maiden ride. I also covered the majority of the frame with Bike Saver tape. The finish is so nice and I want to keep that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow! The paint scheme looks way better than the website pics. I read that the 17in is not compatible with fox taperd forks? Or is that the older razzo frame? Cuz i have been eyeing this frame but wasnt sure about that.But Very nice build!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf57 View Post
    Wow! The paint scheme looks way better than the website pics. I read that the 17in is not compatible with fox taperd forks? Or is that the older razzo frame? Cuz i have been eyeing this frame but wasnt sure about that.But Very nice build!!
    I think a lot of people thought that same as you, including me. It looks gawdy on the web but in person it looks really well done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got the razzo sc as the complete x9 build (the red/white one) and I can confirm that the paint scheme is not the most eye pleasing but it is definitely better in person then on the site.

Frame quality is really quite good as others have noted here. I bought the 19" and it fits me very well (6' 32 inseam). If you're any taller or have a longer inseam you should consider the XL. I really like the geometry of this frame- it is quick without being twitchy though it is a bike you have to pay attention to- but it definitely rewards for that. I bought it to race XC and out of the box this is a great option for the money. If you consider the price point I actually have nothing complain about- its fast, light, and is sure footed without feeling slow when the turns get tight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. Does anybody know if the geometry listed online is based on a 80mm fork, or is it based on a 100mm fork?

mtbr member
    palmermtb, that looks really nice. What is the build weight? Can you give us a ride report? I am seriously thinking about building one of these up.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    palmermtb, that looks really nice. What is the build weight? Can you give us a ride report? I am seriously thinking about building one of these up.
    Here's some excerpts from a XPOST in the 29er forum

Weight using my digital bathroom scale = 20.2.

Ride report results:

Took the bike out for a flogging at South Mountain this morning. I had a blast just hammering it all over the trail. I've owned Aluminum, Steel fand Ti hardtail frames . This is the first carbon Hardtail that I've had and ridden on real dirt trails.

I'm sold on the ride characteristics of the frame and carbon in general. The frame's damping qualities were excellent. The bike was super solid and stiff when I stood up to sprint or grind up a steep climb. However, on the rough rocky sections it felt like it was damping the vibrations and impacts such that I felt comfortable going even faster through those sections.The bike was spot on from the word go.

Normally, I get on a new frame and I have to get a feel for it after a few rides but not this time. I felt right at home and I just started hammering it some more. I took it up my favorite climb to the Heli pad and then down one of the sketchiest trails (Goat Trail). No problems or issues and the damped ride was really cool.

I had heard a lot of people saying that carbon bikes have a dead feeling to them. I can understand that some might say that but in a rock strewn area like Phoenix. That damping is a major asset.

I am close to selling my Ti Hardtail and buying another one of these to keep as a single speeder.

I am definitely selling my steel road bike and buying one of their Sette carbon road frames. I'm sold on their products.

mtbr member
    palmermtb, thanks for that report. Your bike looks super sweet. I am thinking about going with the Razzo SC with the red in it.

Some questions:

1. I didn't see your tensioner for your 1 x, can you post a picture of it. I want to run 1x10 and am thinking about a chain guide.
    2. I have a XT 2x10 crank, can I take off the outer ring and run it 1x10.
    4. Can you explain why you need to order new brake line because of the internal routing?

I think I can get mine sub 22 or 23 lbs, I will run a 20mm reba with Hadley/Flows and a 1 x10 but with a bash guard.
    Last edited by crclawn; 08-05-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by squirlyvt View Post
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. Does anybody know if the geometry listed online is based on a 80mm fork, or is it based on a 100mm fork?
    I believe it is based on 100mm- it comes stock with it and mine does not feel slugish even in tight turns.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast