mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Phantom sizing question

To all the proud owners of Sette Phantom.
    What is you feel about the right size choice?
    I'm 5'8, 195 lb. According to Pricepoint web site it should be medium size. But I already have Sette Ace medium and it feels a bit small. Not to the extent I feel like changing it for larger size, but my saddle is set all the way back.
    According to Phantom specs the frame is a bit smaller than Ace. Any thoughts?
    May be someone, owner of a Phantom, lives near by (NJ), so I can take a closer look.

Cuánto pesa?
    I'm around 5'10" and I ride the 17" PHANTOM..
    My stem is 90mm and the seatpost has a 25mm setback..

Fits me well and handles like a dream
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phantom sizing question-copy-z-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks!
    There are a couple of days left to make up my mind. I was wondering, if my experience with FS bike fit counts here, or hardtail is the whole different story. So far 1:0 for mid size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think on a large you may have problems with the standover height.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's were it's getting confusing.
    My FS bike (Sette Ace frame - medium) has 30" stand over height.
    Phantom medium 27"95
    Phantom large 29"52
    Should hardtail frame feel more compact?

AZ
    banned
    FWIW , compare the effective top tube lengths , reach to the bars trumps standover IMHO .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's what I'm doing. It's somewhere is between medium and large. That's why I want owners of Phantoms to share their experience. How tall are you? What frame size are you riding? Does it feel right?

AZ
    banned
    I am 6'3" and ride 21/22 inch frame with an ETT of 25.25 " IMHO you should go with the size that you are closest to , ignoring standover . If you can physically stand over it , your good . If your closer to a large in ETT go with the large , closer to small go small . If you have to change the stem length more than 25mm your on the wrong size . Hope that all this makes sense .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What is your experience with setback seatposts? I noticed earlier in this thread, Jake Pay used one on his bike. That might be the reason he (5"10) feels comfortable on 17" frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If it's not a seatback post, would you still feel comfortable?
    Do you need it to adjust your reach, or for weight transfer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    SETBACK POST
    sorry

AZ
    banned
    In an earlier post you said that your seat was all the way back , I assume that you are not using a setback seat post , A setback seatposrt is a perfectly acceptable option for fitting . I would suggest exploring some fitting on your current ride before making the commitment on a new frame . Once you are happy with your fit you can draw some direct comparisons and choose the right one .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not. It's a straight seat post. I will explore this option on my Ace bike. I'm not going to move all the parts to a new frame. I want to have 2 bikes - full suspension and hardtail. Do you think the fitting considerations are different for full suspension and hardtail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    When mountain biking it is not unusual to end up standing over the top tube unexpectedly in an awkward position. Zero standover clearance is not good. 5'8" is aufully short for a large frame. The only reason you would need a large frame if you were 5' 8"would be if you had an extremely long torso. If you were 5'8" tall and had an extemely long torso you would have a short inseam, thus the standover height concerns.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckodanov
    I'm not. It's a straight seat post. I will explore this option on my Ace bike. I'm not going to move all the parts to a new frame. I want to have 2 bikes - full suspension and hardtail. Do you think the fitting considerations are different for full suspension and hardtail?

The fitting considerations are the same , pay attention to cockpit . It sounds like you have the right size frame , you just need to refine your position . Seat post setback and stem length can be altered to accomodate fit . Is there a LBS that can help you with this ? If there is it would be time well spent to get someone to help you with this . They should be able to point you in the right direction in short order . Once you get your fit right , duplicate it on your next ride , makes it very easy to set up the new one once you get the first one right .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the input. That makes sense. The score is 2:0 for 17".
    What's your ride? How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 6'0" and ride a large Sette Instinct (Phantom frame). I have a 34" inseam and would say it iis good for someone up to about 6'1".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a Sette Phantom that's a 17inch, and I'm around 5'8".

My brother is 5'11" (I think), and rides a 19 inch Sette Impulse which has a slightly smaller stand over hight than the 19" Phantom.

When I straddle his bike my feet barely touch the ground, and I am pretty much sitting on the top tube . My inseam is 30".

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9" and 33" inseam bought med sette phantom with fox forks, lov'in it.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8" and have green eyes....whoops...29" inseam and I am building a 17" medium on a 100mm Fox RLC fork. I rode a friend's phantom of the same size and RL fork and it fit me well. I had to lower the seat for my legs, so I think a 5'9" (like my friend) with longer legs should still be on a 17".
    so I guess that is 4 or 5:0 for the medium. I can't wait to finish my bike so I can ride it!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    6' 2.5" and got the large sette phantom elite. fits perfect! ~34" inseam

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You are tall.
    I kinda agreed with everyone that for 5'8 guy like me 'medium' is the best. Unfortunately by the time I was ready to pull the trigger, pricepoint ran out of mediums in elite and morph (with Fox fork), I was considering. Maybe they will restock.
    Care to elaborate about reliability of carbon frame? I've heard spooky stories.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Hmmmm,I am 6'1" and just got a xl.Feels small to me.I am gonna get a longer stem and a set back post.ymmv

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmmm... that's odd, let me compare size for large and xlarge. Maybe they've got the same frame size and differ in stem length.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Yeah,it definately feels small for an xl frame.I am gonna try some changes this weekend.The oddest thing is how the front end wants to wheelie on steep climbs,seems wrong for race bike geometry.I will double check the knee/pedal spindle position again and go from there.