Thread: New Sette Drako

mtbr member

New Sette Drako

I had high hopes for the AM Flite replacement Sette was going to offer.

The new Drako seems like a confused bike with odd combination of components and geometry.

Plus at $1900, it's not much of a bargain like the Flite/Ace used to be and there are many options to choose from at that price bracket.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/227...p=018%20SET151

What?
    When I saw the specs for the first time a few weeks ago, I thought the same thing. Not impressed at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone got this bike yet? Any one get it on the trail? I would like to hear more about it, from some one that has rode it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone got this bike yet? Any one get it on the trail? I would like to hear more about it, from some one that has rode it.

dvn
    mtbr member
    What's confused about it? Also, where else can you buy a bike equipped as well for this price? I'm not saying you can't. I just don't know of any.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    What's confused about it? Also, where else can you buy a bike equipped as well for this price? I'm not saying you can't. I just don't know of any.
    Well, it seems like they are trying to blend a XC, Trail and AM bike all into one. Maybe in an attempt to appeal to different buyers. Some things:

1. 120mm rear travel but 140mm front travel
    2. 160mm rotors front and rear.
    3. A standard quick release front fork
    4. 3 x 9 XC gearing, no bashguard
    5. 70 deg HA seems a little steep for a bike with a 140mm fork.

So what do you compare it to? Its a very strange set up, and really it compares poorly to any competitors offerings. Sure you get higher end components for a cheaper price than its competitors, but the total package is not as capable as any of its competitors.

Its too heavy for XC. Too much front travel for Trail and front rotor is too small. Not enough rear travel for AM, and again rotors are too small. Also the frame does not look as strong as the Flite, but it could be I guess. And barely anyone is using standard quick release forks anymore.
    Last edited by ljsmith; 08-15-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    For 1900 bucks, there are a few bikes you can get with similar components and geometry that fits the bike much better.

Diamondback Sortie Diamondback Sortie 2 - Bicycles and gear for every type of riding - Diamondback, Fox, Giant, Haro, Felt

Giant Trance X3 Giant 2011 Trance X3 - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Mongoose Teocali elite 2011 Mongoose Teocali Elite Mountain Bike

Just to name a few. Its not so much that that the drako is a bad bike, its just an odd mix of geometry and components and not the awesome deal that the old sette bikes were.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think they took a step backwards here. IMO, they should instead have offered a 120mm trail bike and a 150mm AM bike. Nothing against 100mm FS bikes, but if you're cruising smooth trails then 29er is the way to go IMHO. If you're on XC trails, then the 120mm is perfect. If you're hitting drops and gnar, then 150mm and a slack geometry will smooth out that ride and put you in control.

I'm thinking a better offering would be a bike like the Specialized Camber (used to be FSR XC). Great for everything from gravel roads to light AM. And then a bike like the Specialized Pitch with a coil fork and thru-axle. But who knows, they may hit kind of an in between market.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I cracked the frame on my Flite, and Sette replaced it with the Drako. They even included the Fox Float shock with it even though I didn't return my Rock Shox, which had already been upgraded because the original started losing air. I haven't built it up yet, but as soon as I do I'll let you know how it rides.
    "Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana" Merle Haggard

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have been thinking about trying this bike
    MCS Custom Bicycle Saddles
    www.mcscycle.com

mtbr member
    Well, long story short. It was a good bike but Sette has put out a total recall of all Drakos purchased due to bad welds.

Oh well, on to the next bike.
    "Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana" Merle Haggard

Blue Pig
    It seems, Sette, has taken out a lot of model frames at this time. One can only imagine what they have lined up for 2012.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.