Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Phantom Build...

I'm putting together a budget WW build. Using the Phantom frame as a base. The total cost is about $2200. It will be a 1x9, rigid. Final weight should be in the mid 18's. I'm going to use it for XC races on our local trail system, which is smooth and not real hilly. I also plan to use it to ride to work sometimes. Currently I've been using my 28.75 pound Yeti 575 for all trail and road riding. We'll see how this bike does on the smoother stuff.

Here is a spreadsheet with the specs and weights (some estimated, actual, and claimed). Some of the parts I picked up on sale or clearance, or used a coupon code or points. So the prices are the final price I paid.

EDIT2:
    I got more parts today. Weights on the spreadsheet have been updated. I'll upload pics later. Also I've decided to return the XT Levers and LX Calipers. I'm just going to get a set of XT 765 brakes, which will be about 70g lighter and $50 cheaper. I'll loose Servo-Wave and tool less leaver adjust though. I think I can live with that on this bike.

EDIT:
    Click the hyperlinks on the spreadsheet to see the photos of the weights.
    Last edited by oldskoolbiker; 02-01-2010 at 02:04 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Cant see the spread sheet .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Cant see the spread sheet .

Use this link if you can't see it inline.

Link to the Spreadsheet

AZ
    banned
    Looks good , keep us posted .

Cuánto pesa?
    Ride-on

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i have that exact wheelset from crc and it weighed in at 1576g
    RAH!

Cuánto pesa?
    Pictured below is the seatpost clamp that came with my PHANTOM frameset...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I've updated with those weights verified. I'll be weighing parts as they come in, and I'll post some pics too. So far all I have is the brakes, derailleur, pedals, chainring

mtbr member
    Pics posted above of first round of parts I received.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    those calipers are heavy!.... looks good though.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools
    those calipers are heavy!.... looks good though.
    Yeah I didn't realize they were so heavy. But they were cheap ($35 each), and assuming I can sell the rotors that came with them for $10 each, that will be only $25 each for calipers. Just barely more than the retail cost of the brake pads themselves. They are 30g heavier each than XT.

I've got another round of parts showing up on Monday. This one will include the frame. Not sure how long it will take CRC to get the wheels built and shipped out, and Sunline said it would be first or second week of Feb before they could ship out the bars and stem.

mtbr member
    You can save some weight and drop the chain guide and go to a Salsa SS Chain ring.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    You can save some weight and drop the chain guide and go to a Salsa SS Chain ring.
    That Gamut ring I have probably just about as light as a Salsa ring, and why would I spend more money when I've already got a light single speed ring. What's the weight of a 34T salsa ring btw? I'm guessing at least 30g.

Also the chain guide isn't going, because I don't want to drop my chain all the time, which can happen very easily with 1x9 setups, since there isn't any derailleur, or outside ring or bash to help hold the chain in place. I don't know anybody who runs a 1x9 without doing something to prevent chain drop. A lot of people run a Jump Stop along with a bash guard, but that is heavier than the 1.X guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    That Gamut ring I have probably just about as light as a Salsa ring, and why would I spend more money when I've already got a light single speed ring. What's the weight of a 34T salsa ring btw? I'm guessing at least 30g.

Also the chain guide isn't going, because I don't want to drop my chain all the time, which can happen very easily with 1x9 setups, since there isn't any derailleur, or outside ring or bash to help hold the chain in place. I don't know anybody who runs a 1x9 without doing something to prevent chain drop. A lot of people run a Jump Stop along with a bash guard, but that is heavier than the 1.X guide.
    Sorry I did not realize that the chain ring you have is a SS one. I run a 1x9 with the salsa ring with no jump stop, bash guard, or chain guide. I used to but everyone says you dont need it with a SS ring, so I have been giving it a shot with no issues so far.

It might also have to do with my rear Derailleur being a X.9 Short Cage. I dont know if your familiar with the X.9, but they put a rather strong spring in it, way stronger than my friends XTR.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Cuánto pesa?

Stick with the guide

I run a one by nine on my AM Squishy and find the chain will drop on rougher rides.
    My ring is a 30t ExtraLite and in back I run a 11x32 KCNC aluminum cassette....
    I also run a SRAM XO Short Cage.

I'm a weight weenie but in the order of performance coming first and weight second.
    Cost is last on the list..

The Salsa rings are boat anchors What can I say.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Stick with the guide

I run a one by nine on my AM Squishy and find the chain will drop on rougher rides.
    My ring is a 30t ExtraLite and in back I run a 11x32 KCNC aluminum cassette....
    I also run a SRAM XO Short Cage.

I'm a weight weenie but in the order of performance coming first and weight second.
    Cost is last on the list..

The Salsa rings are boat anchors What can I say.
    It's funny that I was advised by Dremer03 to "save weight" by getting a heavier chainring. LOL. Yeah for this build, I guess I'm doing equal emphasis on cost/performance/weight. In my case, I'm not always getting the lightest part, if there was a slightly heavier part, with same performance for significantly cheaper, I went with that.

AZ
    banned
    It's funny that I was advised by Dremer03 to "save weight" by getting a heavier chainring. LOL. Yeah for this build, I guess I'm doing equal emphasis on cost/performance/weight. In my case, I'm not always getting the lightest part, if there was a slightly heavier part, with same performance for significantly cheaper, I went with that.

Your method is sensible , build looks good , keep up the good work .

Edit : just put dremer on ignore , it works for me .

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    Yeah I didn't realize they were so heavy. But they were cheap ($35 each), and assuming I can sell the rotors that came with them for $10 each, that will be only $25 each for calipers. Just barely more than the retail cost of the brake pads themselves. They are 30g heavier each than XT.

I've got another round of parts showing up on Monday. This one will include the frame. Not sure how long it will take CRC to get the wheels built and shipped out, and Sunline said it would be first or second week of Feb before they could ship out the bars and stem.
    i went with the stroker grams, wicked nice but not the lightest. i believe they came to be lighter then the xtr and much cheaper too. although i do like the style of shimanos master cylinders, its very compact.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Could hae swore my salsa ring was lighter than yours, guess I was wrong.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Cuánto pesa?
    oldskoolbiker,

Let me know how the White Bros fork rides..
    I've heard mixed reviews over in the weener board

mtbr member
    oldskoolbiker,

Well we'll see, I haven't had a rigid bike since 1994. I only intend on using the bike on smoother trails though.

There's always next year.
    oldskoolbiker,

Not oldskoolbiker, but I've run one RockSolid on two different 29ers for a few years now, and its been, pardon the pun, "Rock Solid". Nice and stiff... In rocky situations, mine holds the line as best I can with no suspension. Pretty sure there are multiple "versions" of this fork out there as well-- think with just different company logo stickers on it for less money then the White Bros one.

mtbr member
    I got more parts in. I updated the spreadsheet in the first post.

mtbr member
    So are you + or - the weight you wanted to be. + being heavier - be lighter.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    So are you + or - the weight you wanted to be. + being heavier - be lighter.
    I added a column to the spreadsheet which has my original estimated weight.

Also I decided to return the XT/LX brakes I originally got, and instead get some XT 765's. They are about 70g lighter, and $50 cheaper. But I will loose the new features of the latest levers. But that's OK for this bike.

I put a few of the parts together. Still waiting for a bunch of parts from CRC, don't know how long they'll take to do the custom wheels.
    Last edited by oldskoolbiker; 02-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast