Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600

    New Phantom Build...

    I'm putting together a budget WW build. Using the Phantom frame as a base. The total cost is about $2200. It will be a 1x9, rigid. Final weight should be in the mid 18's. I'm going to use it for XC races on our local trail system, which is smooth and not real hilly. I also plan to use it to ride to work sometimes. Currently I've been using my 28.75 pound Yeti 575 for all trail and road riding. We'll see how this bike does on the smoother stuff.

    Here is a spreadsheet with the specs and weights (some estimated, actual, and claimed). Some of the parts I picked up on sale or clearance, or used a coupon code or points. So the prices are the final price I paid.

    <iframe width='800' height='630' frameborder='0' src='http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tlgKhXW0b56gHewHLW45nCg&single=true&gid=1& output=html&widget=true'></iframe>

    EDIT2:
    I got more parts today. Weights on the spreadsheet have been updated. I'll upload pics later. Also I've decided to return the XT Levers and LX Calipers. I'm just going to get a set of XT 765 brakes, which will be about 70g lighter and $50 cheaper. I'll loose Servo-Wave and tool less leaver adjust though. I think I can live with that on this bike.

    EDIT:
    Click the hyperlinks on the spreadsheet to see the photos of the weights.
    Last edited by oldskoolbiker; 02-01-2010 at 02:04 PM.

  2. #2
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Cant see the spread sheet .

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Cant see the spread sheet .

    Use this link if you can't see it inline.

    Link to the Spreadsheet

  4. #4
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Looks good , keep us posted .

  5. #5
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,824
    Ride-on

  6. #6
    "They Call Me Bone'z"
    Reputation: facelessfools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,609
    i have that exact wheelset from crc and it weighed in at 1576g
    RAH!

  7. #7
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,824
    Pictured below is the seatpost clamp that came with my PHANTOM frameset...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    I've updated with those weights verified. I'll be weighing parts as they come in, and I'll post some pics too. So far all I have is the brakes, derailleur, pedals, chainring

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Pics posted above of first round of parts I received.

  10. #10
    "They Call Me Bone'z"
    Reputation: facelessfools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,609
    those calipers are heavy!.... looks good though.
    RAH!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools
    those calipers are heavy!.... looks good though.
    Yeah I didn't realize they were so heavy. But they were cheap ($35 each), and assuming I can sell the rotors that came with them for $10 each, that will be only $25 each for calipers. Just barely more than the retail cost of the brake pads themselves. They are 30g heavier each than XT.

    I've got another round of parts showing up on Monday. This one will include the frame. Not sure how long it will take CRC to get the wheels built and shipped out, and Sunline said it would be first or second week of Feb before they could ship out the bars and stem.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    You can save some weight and drop the chain guide and go to a Salsa SS Chain ring.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    You can save some weight and drop the chain guide and go to a Salsa SS Chain ring.
    That Gamut ring I have probably just about as light as a Salsa ring, and why would I spend more money when I've already got a light single speed ring. What's the weight of a 34T salsa ring btw? I'm guessing at least 30g.

    Also the chain guide isn't going, because I don't want to drop my chain all the time, which can happen very easily with 1x9 setups, since there isn't any derailleur, or outside ring or bash to help hold the chain in place. I don't know anybody who runs a 1x9 without doing something to prevent chain drop. A lot of people run a Jump Stop along with a bash guard, but that is heavier than the 1.X guide.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    That Gamut ring I have probably just about as light as a Salsa ring, and why would I spend more money when I've already got a light single speed ring. What's the weight of a 34T salsa ring btw? I'm guessing at least 30g.

    Also the chain guide isn't going, because I don't want to drop my chain all the time, which can happen very easily with 1x9 setups, since there isn't any derailleur, or outside ring or bash to help hold the chain in place. I don't know anybody who runs a 1x9 without doing something to prevent chain drop. A lot of people run a Jump Stop along with a bash guard, but that is heavier than the 1.X guide.
    Sorry I did not realize that the chain ring you have is a SS one. I run a 1x9 with the salsa ring with no jump stop, bash guard, or chain guide. I used to but everyone says you dont need it with a SS ring, so I have been giving it a shot with no issues so far.

    It might also have to do with my rear Derailleur being a X.9 Short Cage. I dont know if your familiar with the X.9, but they put a rather strong spring in it, way stronger than my friends XTR.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  15. #15
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,824
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    That Gamut ring I have probably just about as light as a Salsa ring, and why would I spend more money when I've already got a light single speed ring. What's the weight of a 34T salsa ring btw? I'm guessing at least 30g.

    Also the chain guide isn't going, because I don't want to drop my chain all the time, which can happen very easily with 1x9 setups, since there isn't any derailleur, or outside ring or bash to help hold the chain in place. I don't know anybody who runs a 1x9 without doing something to prevent chain drop. A lot of people run a Jump Stop along with a bash guard, but that is heavier than the 1.X guide.
    Stick with the guide

    I run a one by nine on my AM Squishy and find the chain will drop on rougher rides.
    My ring is a 30t ExtraLite and in back I run a 11x32 KCNC aluminum cassette....
    I also run a SRAM XO Short Cage.

    I'm a weight weenie but in the order of performance coming first and weight second.
    Cost is last on the list..

    The Salsa rings are boat anchors What can I say.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Stick with the guide

    I run a one by nine on my AM Squishy and find the chain will drop on rougher rides.
    My ring is a 30t ExtraLite and in back I run a 11x32 KCNC aluminum cassette....
    I also run a SRAM XO Short Cage.

    I'm a weight weenie but in the order of performance coming first and weight second.
    Cost is last on the list..

    The Salsa rings are boat anchors What can I say.
    It's funny that I was advised by Dremer03 to "save weight" by getting a heavier chainring. LOL. Yeah for this build, I guess I'm doing equal emphasis on cost/performance/weight. In my case, I'm not always getting the lightest part, if there was a slightly heavier part, with same performance for significantly cheaper, I went with that.

  17. #17
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    It's funny that I was advised by Dremer03 to "save weight" by getting a heavier chainring. LOL. Yeah for this build, I guess I'm doing equal emphasis on cost/performance/weight. In my case, I'm not always getting the lightest part, if there was a slightly heavier part, with same performance for significantly cheaper, I went with that.

    Your method is sensible , build looks good , keep up the good work .

    Edit : just put dremer on ignore , it works for me .

  18. #18
    "They Call Me Bone'z"
    Reputation: facelessfools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Yeah I didn't realize they were so heavy. But they were cheap ($35 each), and assuming I can sell the rotors that came with them for $10 each, that will be only $25 each for calipers. Just barely more than the retail cost of the brake pads themselves. They are 30g heavier each than XT.

    I've got another round of parts showing up on Monday. This one will include the frame. Not sure how long it will take CRC to get the wheels built and shipped out, and Sunline said it would be first or second week of Feb before they could ship out the bars and stem.
    i went with the stroker grams, wicked nice but not the lightest. i believe they came to be lighter then the xtr and much cheaper too. although i do like the style of shimanos master cylinders, its very compact.
    RAH!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    It's funny that I was advised by Dremer03 to "save weight" by getting a heavier chainring. LOL. Yeah for this build, I guess I'm doing equal emphasis on cost/performance/weight. In my case, I'm not always getting the lightest part, if there was a slightly heavier part, with same performance for significantly cheaper, I went with that.
    Could hae swore my salsa ring was lighter than yours, guess I was wrong.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  20. #20
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,824
    oldskoolbiker,

    Let me know how the White Bros fork rides..
    I've heard mixed reviews over in the weener board

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    oldskoolbiker,

    Let me know how the White Bros fork rides..
    I've heard mixed reviews over in the weener board
    Well we'll see, I haven't had a rigid bike since 1994. I only intend on using the bike on smoother trails though.

  22. #22
    There's always next year.
    Reputation: padrefan1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    oldskoolbiker,

    Let me know how the White Bros fork rides..
    I've heard mixed reviews over in the weener board
    Not oldskoolbiker, but I've run one RockSolid on two different 29ers for a few years now, and its been, pardon the pun, "Rock Solid". Nice and stiff... In rocky situations, mine holds the line as best I can with no suspension. Pretty sure there are multiple "versions" of this fork out there as well-- think with just different company logo stickers on it for less money then the White Bros one.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    I got more parts in. I updated the spreadsheet in the first post.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    So are you + or - the weight you wanted to be. + being heavier - be lighter.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    So are you + or - the weight you wanted to be. + being heavier - be lighter.
    I added a column to the spreadsheet which has my original estimated weight.

    Also I decided to return the XT/LX brakes I originally got, and instead get some XT 765's. They are about 70g lighter, and $50 cheaper. But I will loose the new features of the latest levers. But that's OK for this bike.

    I put a few of the parts together. Still waiting for a bunch of parts from CRC, don't know how long they'll take to do the custom wheels.
    Last edited by oldskoolbiker; 02-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Looks, good. Most of the weights seem to be in a acceptable limit or + or -.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    I've got the bike 90% done. Still waiting for the bars and stem to arrive. Right now the bike weighs 19.1 lbs with spare heavy bars, stem, grips, uncut steerer and tubes. Final weight should be around 18.5 when I get the light bars and stem, and convert it over to tubeless.

    I'll post a pic when the bike is done.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Sounds killer
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  29. #29
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,824
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyGirl191
    Thanks for the info!!

    Check out a short video i made of me at:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/****************8eswNA
    Let me know what you think!!
    Watch it now!!

    Thanks..xox
    Video no worky

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Video no worky
    Yeah, and I was looking forward to watching it also.

    All kidding aside there is actually a link in the middle of the fake video which leads off to some site.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Video no worky
    That post is obviously SPAM from some robot. I'm sure nothing to do with MTB.

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Really sweet bike. Wish they made a frame like that in a 29er. I'm looking at the Razzo for a build in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    That post is obviously SPAM from some robot. I'm sure nothing to do with MTB.
    Darn, I was curious to see if she was sporting a hard tail or full squish.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Here is the almost completed bike. Still waiting on bars, stem, and pedal spindles. Got beater bar/stem/grips on there now. Also got tubes in the wheels instead of tubeless. As it sits it's 19.09 lbs. So it should be in the low 18's when totally complete.


  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    ^looking very nice.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Well UPS dropped off the new bars and stem, so I installed those along with the esi grips. And the weight after that is 18.49. Still got Ti spindles coming, and converting to tubeless. That should drop about 1/3 of a pound. (60g spindles, 100g tubeless).

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Ok the bike is 99% done, only thing left is the Ti spindles for the pedals, and I should have them probably tomorrow. That should save another 50-60g. As it sits now it's 18.2 pounds. I took it out and rode it around the neighborhood streets and it felt good. Accelerates really fast. Now if the snow would melt and the trails dry, I can try it out on the trail.

    Here is the final scale pic.


  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Ok the bike is 99% done, only thing left is the Ti spindles for the pedals, and I should have them probably tomorrow. That should save another 50-60g. As it sits now it's 18.2 pounds. I took it out and rode it around the neighborhood streets and it felt good. Accelerates really fast. Now if the snow would melt and the trails dry, I can try it out on the trail.

    Here is the final scale pic.

    Not impressed, only 6 pounds lighter than my Reken

    J/K

    Looks good, better than expected I take it?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  38. #38
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,824


    She came together quite nicely

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Well one annoying thing has came up with the bike. The front tire doesn't want to hold air. I've never saw a brand new tire with so many holes in the sidewall. The rear tire is holding 100% with only 60ml of sealant. However the front keeps leaking through the sidewalls. I've been trying all the tricks. The best success I had was, I put 90ml of sealant in, and inflated it and left the wheel horizontal for about 8 hours on each side. That seemed to work, and I put the wheel back on the bike and let it sit for a couple of more days. Seemed to be holding up. Of course during this time, a bunch of sealant had seeped through the tire and was on the sidewalls. I figured it was long enough so I took a rag and gently wiped the excess sealant off. And guess what, the next morning it had lost most of it's pressure. This tire is really annoying!!!!

  40. #40
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,824
    oldskool,

    Your pics are gone

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Sorry my server crashed and I lost the pics. Guess that's what you get when you host your site on a $300 Nettop.

    Guess I should shoot some newer pics of the bike. I've been riding it quite a bit. Been riding it to work, and riding it on the smoother XC trails near my house. People are shocked the bike is only 18 pounds, especially since it's not blinged out with XTR. It's just got LX and XT parts.

    The frame and rigid carbon fork do give you a beating, but the carbon has just the right amount of flex so it isn't too bad. Although it flexes a bit to absorb bumps, I feel like 100% of my pedal power is going to the ground.

    The bike is plenty strong, and I feel it could handle a little rougher trails, but I don't want to beat myself up. I enjoy riding my 575 too much, and I'll take that on the rougher trails.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •