vyx
    mtbr member

New question here. Ibex Asta Comp vs Ibex Ignition Super Pro vs Sette Flite

First off, thanks to those who made suggestions in my original thread that got me to this point.

I'm going crazy here. Every day I think I have a new bike picked out. I've been bouncing around between these three over the past few days. I don't plan on a lot of jumps/drops but I do want something that will hold up over the years and take a bit of a beating as I'm new to the mountain bike scene and will make mistakes.

Ibex Asta Comp
    Ibex Super Pro
    Sette Flite

All of these bikes seem to have their pluses and minuses from what I can tell.
    I've attached pics of a spreadsheet to breakdown the components of each bike.

I would appreciate any input and opinions on these bikes.

Thanks,
    Brandon

p.s. I know the asta comp isn't an iggy, sorry for the mislabel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hit em hard!
    one vote for Ibex Super Pro.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Those bikes are built for slightly different types of riding,
    The Asta Comp is a 4" XC setup
    The Flite is a 6" All Mountain setup
    The Super Pro is 5" setup (kinda in the middle of the two).

Personally, I wouldn't go with the 6" bike unless I knew I would be riding stuff that requires a 6" bike. 4" and 5" XC bikes can handle quite a bit, if you're new to mountain biking and don't expect to be doing anything too crazy, either of those should be fine (I think Sette also sells a nice XC FS bike, so I'm not saying don't by a Sette, just probably not that one). You don't want to be riding a 35 pound bike if a lighter bike will do.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Sette Flite is marketed towards the AM side. It's heavy at 35 lbs. The Asta is marketed towards XC use and the Ignition is towards the XC/Trail bike. Personally, it seems like you are looking for a trail bike. I would choose the Ignition. Components-wise the Asta does have a better braking system. The drivetrain is a matter of Shimano components vs Sram components. I personally like Sram.

What type of riding do you do?

vyx
    mtbr member
    I'm planning on mostly trail riding. I have a friend who is pretty big into it and I'm going to be riding with him mostly. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy, but I do want to know that my bike won't break should I decide to do a few bigger drops or a couple jumps.

The original reason I switched from Ace to Flite for my final 3 was because the Flite had a better fork, rear shock, and what I think is an upgrade crank and bottom bracket.

It sounds like the Flite is not really what I'm looking for but I should be focusing more on the Ace correct?

1. Are the Shimano SLX, and Sram X.9 Components about on the same level?
    2. If so, how much of a hit would I take going with the Sette that has the Sram X.7 Components?
    3. I was told the wheels (specifically hubs) on the Super Pro are garbage. This would probably cost me 150-300 alone for a new set of wheels correct, or am I just looking at the wrong wheel setups?

Thanks, I really appreciate all the input,
    Brandon

Ace Components:
    Frame Aluminum 7005

Size(s) Small (16.5")/Medium (18.5")/Large (20.5")

Fork Rock Shox Tora 302 Air (4.72"/120mm)

Rear Shock Rock Shox Monarch 2.1 (4"/101mm)

Shifters SRAM X7, 9-Speed Trigger

Front Derailleur SRAM X7, Low Clamp, Blk, 34.9 Top Pull

Rear Derailleur SRAM X7 Black Long Cage

Shifter Cable/Housing Jagwire Slick

Brake Levers Avid Juicy 3

Front Brake Avid 160mm Rotor

Rear Brake Avid 160mm Rotor

Hoses Avid Hydraulic Hose

Crankset Truvativ Firex 3.3, 175mm, Black, 44/32/22t

Bottom Bracket Truvativ Giga Pipe XR, 68mm

Cassette SRAM PG-970, 11-34

Chain SRAM PC-971

Headset FSA 1-1/8" Integrated - Black

Handlebar Lightweight Alloy - Black

Grips Durable Ergo Grips - Black

Stem Lightweight Alloy - Black

Saddle High Performance Saddle - Black

Seatpost Lightweight 6061 Alloy - Black, 31.6 x 350mm

Rims Mavic XM719 32H Black, Presta Valve

Front Hub Shimano XT M756, 6-bolt Disc Brake, 32H black, QR

Rear Hub Shimano XT M756, 6-bolt Disc Brake, 32H black, QR

Spokes 14/15 Gauge Double-Butted, Stainless Steel, Black

Pedal Shimano PD-505, Silver

Front Tire Kenda Krusher 26" x 2.1, 60 TPI

Rear Tire Kenda Krusher 26" x 2.1, 60 TPI

Color(s) White

Warranty 5 Years

Weight 29.8lbs/13.5kg (Medium w/Pedals)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the ignition has an absurdly high shock ratio. 3.15:1

vyx
    mtbr member
    Can you please explain what high shock ratio means and how this would effect me? I looked around and all I saw was that a low shock ratio makes them easier to tune. Is there more to it than that?

aw fiddlestix
    I'll vote for the Sette Ace... 4" is probably plenty of travel for what you're going to be doing, and personally the conduct of the Ibex ownership that I've looked up (it was a BIG deal here) means that I will probably never buy one of their bikes. The Ace has also gotten good reviews...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vyx
    Can you please explain what high shock ratio means and how this would effect me? I looked around and all I saw was that a low shock ratio makes them easier to tune. Is there more to it than that?
    The Ace uses a 2:1 shock ratio (190mm shock length and 50mm shock stroke) meaning for every 2 in of travel on the rear end uses 1 in of shock travel which makes a pretty plush ride. Foes bikes uses the same 2:1 shock ratio on their bikes.The low shock ratio allows the shock to run at substantially lower pressures for improved sensitivity and shock durability.

vyx
    mtbr member
    I am concerned that the Ace has a lockout on only the front shock. I have been told that a lockout is good to have for climbing. How will not having a lockout on the rear shock effect this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wouldn't worry about the lack of a shock lockout. I personally almost never even use the lockouts on my forks and wouldn't particularly miss them if they were gone. About the only time I use them is if I'm riding on the road and climbing a big long hill. Never use them on the trails I ride.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just built up an ACE frame, and although the shock that comes with the bare frame has lock-out (and the pre-built ACE does not).... I don't think it is really needed. If you engage it on the pavement, you notice the difference, but it climbs great even with the rear shock wide open. Pedal-bob is just not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So I was in the very same boat as you looking at exactly the same bikes plus the Iron Horse MKIII Comp on Randall Scott. I actually ended up getting a GT marathon 2.0 from performance for 1189 plus i get 10% credit with the team performance card. The components are LX - I wouldve preferred SRAM, but I'll replace them eventually, but it also has a better fork other than maybe the flite which is a plus to me. But, the idrive is a proven suspension design and comes at about the same price as the other bikes. If they have one left in your size, i see it as the best bet...but I guess thats why i bought it.