mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I just rode one!

I'm looking to purchase an almost new 2010 Phantom. I got to test ride it.

I could not believe the gears I could pull on this bike while climbing!

Anyway, it's a large and it felt pretty good but a little tight at first. I'm 5-11 with long arms and legs, but warmed up to the feel pretty quick.

Heres what it has:

2010 Full Carbon Fiber Sette Phantom. Bike is under 20 LBS
    Frame is Large/19 inch!Avid Elixer Brakes, XTR Front and Rear derailuers with XTR Shifters. Fox F80 RLC Front Fork
    Fizik Tundra Seat, Crank Bros. Titanium Pedals
    Stans Tubeless wheels, with American Classic Hubs.
    All parts on bike are 2010 and in Brand New Condition.
    Race Ready and is a great cross country bike, Parts alone are worth asking price. $1900.
    Weight with pedals, rolls in right under 20#

I'm not sure which phantom it is but the thing climbs great. He's asking $1900. I'll negotiate of course.

What model do you guys think it is?

Is a large about right for my size?

What's a good price? i WISH IT HAD THE 100MM FORK, The frame does not have the V-Brake tabs so it is a 2010.

I ride a large in Giant and Santa cruz FS. This is my first Hardtail in a while. Intoxicating on the climbs!!!

Trying to post a photo. I downloaded it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I just rode one!-photo-.jpg  

banned
    if you plan on keeping the bike forever, then I would offer give him $1200 tops. you should figure out what the parts on the frame are worth because if you ever decide to sell the bike, you won't get anything for the frame. not at all saying that it's not a good frame, probably built in the same factory as special-ed but people will not give you anything for an off-brand carbon frame. nice looking bike though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Bus!

Good points. Yes, the frame can be had for $350 on ebay but the parts are sweet. I'll do the math and $1200 probably is a good cap.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal44
    i WISH IT HAD THE 100MM FORK
    if it has an 80mm fork thats probably why the climbing felt so exceptional.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good point. Plus I'm used to a 25lbs Anthem.

The parts going by ebay used prices still came out to $1500- $1800 ballpark.

mtbr member
    I built a very similar bike a few months ago. Good luck doing that for $1200, or even $1500-1800. I took me a long time to gather the parts at bargain basement prices and I was still at his asking price. I have the F100 fox fork and it makes the bike feel a bit better on the steep descents, but other than that, I'd be ok with an 80mm fork for a race bike.
    Fork used $400
    Wheels used $400
    Cranks or super cheap $300
    Seat used $100
    whoops there goes the $1200
    I kept a close record of prices and weight. I’ll see if I can dig up the spread sheet, but in short $1900 is not way off the mark for a <20lb XTR bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the feedback.

That makes me want to pull the trigger. He'll do $1650 with the Ti Eggbeaters!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pretty sure that bike was a complete bike build from Pricepoint, only dif is the back tire,
    still has the 310 on the front.
    Are you sure that bike only has 80mm, mine with came with 100mmm fox.

They sold for $1900.00 new. Why does he think his used bike is worth that much?

I have know idea what will happen to any warrenty for a second hand owner.

banned
    Sep 2010
    $1000.00 max , remember it is still a used bike .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm in a holding pattern and still looking. From the parts alone it's tempting. It has about 10'hours total on it. As mentioned above, even at eBay prices, it would be hard to build that bike for $1500. The frame is nice but disposable in theory.

It would make a nice race weapon at sub 20#.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchow
    Pretty sure that bike was a complete bike build from Pricepoint, only dif is the back tire,
    still has the 310 on the front.
    Are you sure that bike only has 80mm, mine with came with 100mmm fox.

They sold for $1900.00 new. Why does he think his used bike is worth that much?

I have know idea what will happen to any warrenty for a second hand owner.
    Yep it was the 100 mm fork.

I bought it for $1500 and lovin it. It'll be my race weapon for next season. The bike has very minimal mellow time on it.

Very fast and responsive. Feels like new. Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellowCJ7
    I built a very similar bike a few months ago. Good luck doing that for $1200, or even $1500-1800. I took me a long time to gather the parts at bargain basement prices and I was still at his asking price. I have the F100 fox fork and it makes the bike feel a bit better on the steep descents, but other than that, I'd be ok with an 80mm fork for a race bike.
    Fork used $400
    Wheels used $400
    Cranks or super cheap $300
    Seat used $100
    whoops there goes the $1200
    I kept a close record of prices and weight. Iíll see if I can dig up the spread sheet, but in short $1900 is not way off the mark for a <20lb XTR bike.
    This post put it into perspective. The bike is hardly ridden and to build something similar even with used parts would have been much more.

The new serum is almost the same bike at $3999 retail.
    Anyway the bike puts a smile on my face and I'm flyin on it!

mtbr member
    $1500 is a great deal for you! I didn't find my build sheet, but my bike looks just like yours and I love it too. I'm in it for way more than $1500.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This bike is working well for me. It hasn't missed a beat. I changed the grips and tires(WTB Mutano Race 2.4). tubeless setup. I've raced it 3 times and had 3 wins in the 50plus Legends open class. Next race is a hillclimb so I am going with a rigid fork and some Maxxis Maxxlites. That will get me from 21.5lbs to about 18.5lbs.

Good fun for price!