Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Wink Hey Sette: About time the Flite AM got an update (see pic)

Sette gets their frames from Astro Engineering. For a few months now Astro has had this frame in its catalog:

Hey Sette: About time the Flite AM got an update (see pic)-vkfra-h.jpg

It's exactly the Flite up front, but with a Horst link rear. It still has the nice 4"/5"/6" adjustable rocker. I kind of doubt that the frame works optimally under all 3 settings in terms of pedal bob but that's not so important. In any case, I would love to see this frame go out on the market and Sette might as well update the Flite with this better-performing linkage.

Anybody at Sette listening? Dremer, maybe you could use your "vested interest" to get the word out to the right people?

Basically anything in the AM category would be sweet actually:
    http://www.astroeng.com.tw/products.asp
    (lol "slopstyle")

Put one of these babies out for $500-600 and you'll have tons of customers.

EDIT: Actually the frames are so similar it would be good enough just to purchase the rear chainstay and seatstay part
    Last edited by derailin_palin; 01-22-2010 at 02:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks like the the current Flite frame to me. At least by looking at it across the living room.

I still want to see close comparison between the current suspension design and the horst link.

mtbr member

Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    They look similar but they are actually completely different frames. Look at the cable routing and where the top tube meets the head tube. The rear triangle is also similar but is completely different where the derailleur hanger mounts. The mount for the shock is also different. Other than that, I see no difference.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good possibilty they'll carry that frame in 2012 but not before then.

mtbr member
    I would be pissed if they change that design within a few months since I just bought mine

mtbr member
    Not to bad looking. But I'm willing to bet it doesn't happen. They would have to pay specialized to use that frame. But it is intersting that most of the frames on the Astro Engineering site use a Horst link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Not to bad looking. But I'm willing to bet it doesn't happen. They would have to pay specialized to use that frame. But it is intersting that most of the frames on the Astro Engineering site use a Horst link.
    Actually when I checked the Astro site about 6 months ago the Horst frames were not there. Since they are making the Horst frames now, does that mean they have the license to do so? Or does that mean that they are just not selling them in the US?

Cuánto pesa?

I don't believe Setté will be wanting to pay for the patented Horst-Link anytime in
    the near future. The price of the bike would definitely go UP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derailin_palin
    Actually when I checked the Astro site about 6 months ago the Horst frames were not there. Since they are making the Horst frames now, does that mean they have the license to do so? Or does that mean that they are just not selling them in the US?
    I don't know the actual law. So both the maker and the retailer might have to pay the licensing fee.But if there not selling them in the US it might not matter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

We the people ...

Makes sense. Everything for sale in China

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay

I don't believe Setté will be wanting to pay for the patented Horst-Link anytime in
    the near future. The price of the bike would definitely go UP!

And it would go up quite a bit I would think.

mtbr member
    Makes sense. Everything for sale in China

Try Vietnam.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Try Vietnam.
    The company is in Taiwan, right? Or is it just their HQ?

mtbr member
    Would the price increase be worth the design advantage (if there is an advantage that is) ?

mtbr member
    The company is in Taiwan, right? Or is it just their HQ?

Some of the stuff i get from Google say Vietnam with ties to Taiwan. There in a lawsuit with other manufactures in Canada over dumping bikes from Vietnam.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Would the price increase be worth the design advantage (if there is an advantage that is) ?

Thats the million dollar question. All I can say is the Patent wouldn't be so valuable if it wasn't an improvement.
    Last edited by pulser; 01-22-2010 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Specialized's patent is only enforcable in the US. And it expires in 2012. There are plenty of european frames that also use the Horst link but aren't sold in the US.

NedwannaB

Wait a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Please PM me before starting topics to ask me a question. Thats what PM'ing is for.
    A little OT, but I just noticed something. What's this statement in your sig all about? I sense a condisending tone in most of your posts as it is. Have you been upgraded to a Moderator? And last I checked, this was an open forum in the land of free speech. That's great that you've appointed yourself to be the "Sette" steward and all, but come on.

Just how 'vested' are you anyway??

Now, back "on topic", how much better does the Astro Horst rear triangle work better then the faux bar of the Flite??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    A little OT, but I just noticed something. What's this statement in your sig all about? I sense a condisending tone in most of your posts as it is. Have you been upgraded to a Moderator? And last I checked, this was an open forum in the land of free speech. That's great that you've appointed yourself to be the "Sette" steward and all, but come on.

Just how 'vested' are you anyway??

Now, back "on topic", how much better does the Astro Horst rear triangle work better then the faux bar of the Flite??
    I have had 2 topics started to just ask me a question. I really mean they were started to ask me a question the 2 people named the topic "Hey Dremer" and "Hey Dremer 2". If you have questions about me, ask in a PM calling out in a topic is not needed.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Cuánto pesa?
    Dude, you need to pull your head out and get some air.

Step back and read your arrogant ass..........................

NedwannaB

Question for you Jake

I don't believe Setté will be wanting to pay for the patented Horst-Link anytime in the near future. The price of the bike would definitely go UP!
    Curious to what design patent their faux bar design is following? Seriously asking.

Thx in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Curious to what design patent their faux bar design is following? Seriously asking.

Thx in advance.

Could be that it's not patented

mtbr member
    Could be that it's not patented

Thats what I'm thinking. Never here any disputes over it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Dude, you need to pull your head out and get some air.

Step back and read your arrogant ass..........................
    i see nothing wrong with what he said or his sig.
    he's had 2 threads made just to ask HIM a question.
    that is what pm's are for.
    i wouldn't start a thread with the title Jake Pay then ask you what your favorite trail is. i'd send you a pm and ask you.

a lot of you guys need to get off the "**** on dreamer" bandwagon. it's getting really old reading posts of people ragging on this guy.
    i agree some/most of his advice isn't great, but your post is not pointing out his horrible advice. it's just talking **** to talk ****.
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast