Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: hey dremer #2

  1. #1
    thin blue line
    Reputation: thoggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    106

    hey dremer #2

    You can't leave me hanging. You feel that going from a cheap HT (or hybrid as you so eloquently put it) to a 6" FS AM is too big a jump. Aside from weight, tell me why it is you feel this way. I am, after all, still fairly new to this, so educate me on why it is I should go with the 4-5" FS XC over the AM. Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    You got my attention good work.

    So my thinking is your going from one extreme to the other. Your literally going from a bike designed for back roads and bike paths to a bike made for doing just about anything. Maybe thats the reason why you want a AM bike because you want to be able to do everything? I just feel your going in head first and possibly not considering that AM bikes are heavy, slower turning, and made for really big drops and jumps. That doesnt mean you cant ride it on a normal XC trail, but its going to be a lot more work.

    If it is possible you should think about renting a AM bike, taking it out and see how you like the AM riding.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  3. #3
    thin blue line
    Reputation: thoggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    106
    Alright, I'm following you now. Appreciate the info. Just out of curiosity, what would be the most one could hope to achieve with the 4-5" XC's? In other words, if I was to leave Texas and go to Colorado, could I (comfortably) ride the downhill trails of those mountains with the XC? I just don't want to limit the possibilities.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by thoggard
    Alright, I'm following you now. Appreciate the info. Just out of curiosity, what would be the most one could hope to achieve with the 4-5" XC's? In other words, if I was to leave Texas and go to Colorado, could I (comfortably) ride the downhill trails of those mountains with the XC? I just don't want to limit the possibilities.
    Honestly, I have no idea what you could achieve with a bike. Different bikes can handle different things. I also have no idea about the terrain in Texas or the Terrain in Colorado.

    Can you do a DH course with a XC Bike? Sure, you just not going to be able to do it as fast, as a DH Bike.

    I think there is some research in your future. Perhaps check the Texas Forum or Colorado forum and see what they say.

    I do think your going to have a tough time finding just a frame to build in your size, for AM riding. You might want to go back in to your other topic and get some recommendations for a frame that does come in your size that is available online, or in a store.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  5. #5
    thin blue line
    Reputation: thoggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    106
    Appreciate it.

  6. #6
    Hutch is my Hero
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,369
    thoggard,

    i have an ace in the colorado front range, and it handles the rock gardens and the steeps really well.

  7. #7
    um hmmm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    151
    lol dremer your advice is terrible, and sadly thoggard doesn't know any better but to listen to your advice..

  8. #8
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree
    lol dremer your advice is terrible, and sadly thoggard doesn't know any better but to listen to your advice..

    ..............................

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree
    lol dremer your advice is terrible, and sadly thoggard doesn't know any better but to listen to your advice..
    Which advice? You say I gave him bad advice, which advice was that, so I can avoid giving it in the future.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    ..............................
    Do you have a crush on me or something? Every time someone posts my name there you are with your little ".............................".

    No reason for you to even find this topic unless you were doing a search for my name which is a little
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  11. #11
    um hmmm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    151
    You tell the guy that going from hardtail to a 6" FS is too big a leap from one type of bike to the other. Since when is there an order for type of bike you have to buy?

    The "AM" bike you describe sounds an awful lot like a freeride bike, too heavy and slow and big drop and jump focused etc. Not all AM bikes are like that.

    You clearly have not looked at any All Mountain "AM" bikes from real bike companies. Sette doesn't count.

    there are alot of lightweight choices from a lot of companies in the 6" travel range. Even 5" travel range.

    Before you say get this bike or that you really should be asking what his riding style is or what he wants to be able to do with the bike. Also where he rides.

    So theres alot of qeustions for thoggard.


    Dremer because you don't have a lot of experience. ie, you've never worked in a bike shop and you just started riding recently you really shouldn't give out advice to people.

    I can see you want to be helpful but really you should sit back, relax, and enjoy the forum by reading it. Don't post for a while just read and learn then you can see why people get annoyed by what you post misinformation or incomplete info.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree
    You tell the guy that going from hardtail to a 6" FS is too big a leap from one type of bike to the other. Since when is there an order for type of bike you have to buy?

    The "AM" bike you describe sounds an awful lot like a freeride bike, too heavy and slow and big drop and jump focused etc. Not all AM bikes are like that.

    You clearly have not looked at any All Mountain "AM" bikes from real bike companies. Sette doesn't count.

    there are alot of lightweight choices from a lot of companies in the 6" travel range. Even 5" travel range.

    Before you say get this bike or that you really should be asking what his riding style is or what he wants to be able to do with the bike. Also where he rides.

    So theres alot of qeustions for thoggard.


    Dremer because you don't have a lot of experience. ie, you've never worked in a bike shop and you just started riding recently you really shouldn't give out advice to people.

    I can see you want to be helpful but really you should sit back, relax, and enjoy the forum by reading it. Don't post for a while just read and learn then you can see why people get annoyed by what you post misinformation or incomplete info.
    I guess you missed the 2 other topics where he said his riding style and the kind of bike he wants/needs were discussed.


    EDIT: He also only wants to spend a few hundred on a AM frame to build a bike that costs less than $2,000.00

    Everything you said was valid, but almost none of it applies to the OP, because he doesnt want to spend the lots of money which is what it would be if he built a light AM, FS bike. It stunned me when AZ.MTNS suggested he buy a $2,000 Frame.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  13. #13
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    I guess you missed the 2 other topics where he said his riding style and the kind of bike he wants/needs were discussed.


    EDIT: He also only wants to spend a few hundred on a AM frame to build a bike that costs less than $2,000.00

    Everything you said was valid, but almost none of it applies to the OP, because he doesnt want to spend the lots of money which is what it would be if he built a light AM, FS bike. It stunned me when AZ.MTNS suggested he buy a $2,000 Frame.

    the budget is now 3000.00 , the frame you speak of was an example that was to demonstrate that he could in fact get the correct size , instead of following your ill advice of trying to make the too small s--t bike that you were pimping fit . You really should quit posting with advice , especially in matters that you have little knowledge of .

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    the budget is now 3000.00 , the frame you speak of was an example that was to demonstrate that he could in fact get the correct size , instead of following your ill advice of trying to make the too small s--t bike that you were pimping fit . You really should quit posting with advice , especially in matters that you have little knowledge of .
    I was asked a question, I gave a answer, if you dont like it GTFO
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  15. #15
    um hmmm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    I guess you missed the 2 other topics where he said his riding style and the kind of bike he wants/needs were discussed.


    EDIT: He also only wants to spend a few hundred on a AM frame to build a bike that costs less than $2,000.00

    Everything you said was valid, but almost none of it applies to the OP, because he doesnt want to spend the lots of money which is what it would be if he built a light AM, FS bike. It stunned me when AZ.MTNS suggested he buy a $2,000 Frame.

    I'm not the type to go searching through someones post history to pick them out a bike. Regardless of that, with his $3000 budget he can get a very nice complete bike.

    Buying a frame and building part by part costs more to do and for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with bikes its not the best way to go.

    And I'll back up what AZ.MTNS said don't tell somebody to buy the wrong size bike when you don't know how to properly size a bike.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Read these

    19.5 big enough?

    19.5 big enough?

    I never told him to buy the wrong size frame, in fact I was the first person to suggest he get fitted before moving forward.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  17. #17
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Read these

    19.5 big enough?

    19.5 big enough?

    I never told him to buy the wrong size frame, in fact I was the first person to suggest he get fitted before moving forward.

    QUOTE: Perhaps if we knew what your current bike is we could compare and see if it would work. The Flite has a large stand over, so dont give up hope. What is your current bikes? You can compare the geometrys.



    Sure looks like your trying to put him on a bike thats too small .

  18. #18
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Read these

    19.5 big enough?

    19.5 big enough?

    I never told him to buy the wrong size frame, in fact I was the first person to suggest he get fitted before moving forward.

    And then there was this one : So the way I look at it, if you can deal with adding a stem that is 10 longer than your current one and having some extra room between your legs you could probably make it work.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    QUOTE: Perhaps if we knew what your current bike is we could compare and see if it would work. The Flite has a large stand over, so dont give up hope. What is your current bikes? You can compare the geometrys.



    Sure looks like your trying to put him on a bike thats too small .
    Actually it looks like I was trying to gather information to help him get the correct bike, not the wrong one, or one that fits bad.

    What would I have to gain from trying to get someone to buy a bike that doesnt fit right and they might not like? Did you forget I run a Sette Fan site, what I want is happy Sette owners. Not grumpy owners that are mad because I told them to buy the wrong size frame.

    I stand by my statement. I never told him to buy the wrong size bike. I did how ever try and figure out the details needed to get him the right size bike.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    And then there was this one : So the way I look at it, if you can deal with adding a stem that is 10 longer than your current one and having some extra room between your legs you could probably make it work.
    Still never told him to buy the wrong size frame. You sir are grabbing at straws
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  21. #21
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Still never told him to buy the wrong size frame. You sir are grabbing at straws

    No , you advocated putting him on a 19.5 by using a 10 mm longer stem . The facts speak for them selves , you once again prove that you quite possibly give the worst advice of anyone on the entire board .

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    No , you advocated putting him on a 19.5 by using a 10 mm longer stem .
    Whats your point? I also said it might work, I also said he should be fitted. I say a lot of things and I am sure you read them all because you are my official MTBR stocker.

    You completely glazed over the post I made about you seaking me out, which is true.

    There is no way you were just cruising the Sette forum. What you are doing is trolling, simple as that.

    "An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war."

    I;m just minding my own business having a good night, and wham I start getting flamed by none other than AZ.MTNS the one guy who consistantly posts in almost everytopic I post in or create. Heck you even ended up in the Vermont forum, how you got here is beyond me...oh wait you searched for a user named Dremer03, how could I be so stupid.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  23. #23
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Whats your point? I also said it might work, I also said he should be fitted. I say a lot of things and I am sure you read them all because you are my official MTBR stocker.

    You completely glazed over the post I made about you seaking me out, which is true.

    There is no way you were just cruising the Sette forum. What you are doing is trolling, simple as that.

    "An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war."

    I;m just minding my own business having a good night, and wham I start getting flamed by none other than AZ.MTNS the one guy who consistantly posts in almost everytopic I post in or create. Heck you even ended up in the Vermont forum, how you got here is beyond me...oh wait you searched for a user named Dremer03, how could I be so stupid.

    You might want to reread this thread , at no point did I START flaming . I responded to a post in a PUBLIC forum , on a topic that I have an intrest in . If you dont like that GTFO .

  24. #24
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Whats your point? I also said it might work, I also said he should be fitted. I say a lot of things and I am sure you read them all because you are my official MTBR stocker.

    Heck you even ended up in the Vermont forum, how you got here is beyond me...oh wait you searched for a user named Dremer03, how could I be so stupid.

    Not that it is any of your buisness , I am a native of the great State of Maine , which in case you havent noticed is included in the same forum . It is also a public forum , so it makes perfect sense that I might choose to peruse that forum , being from Winter Harbor and all .

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    You might want to reread this thread , at no point did I START flaming . I responded to a post in a PUBLIC forum , on a topic that I have an intrest in . If you dont like that GTFO .
    Never said you flamed, I said you were trolling. You succeeded at it quite nicely.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •