mtbr member

Flite Rear Brake Resonance

I'm running a 160 mm Avid G2 Cleansweep rotor on the rear with Juicy 5 brakes and i get a consistent rear brake hum/squeal. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this?

I haven't faced the caliper mounts and I could scuff the pads to see if it helps, but I know that sometimes these types of vibrations are simply unique to particular frame/brake combinations.

I can't stand it anymore, so any advice helps, minus getting new brakes.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

AZ
    banned
    Recenter the caliper , wipe the rotor with isopropyl alcohol , chamfer the pads , disc brake anti squeal on the back of the pads .

mtbr member
    I just did everything that AZ.MTNS mentioned with my Elixir R's last weekend. I'm still getting a little squealing out of the rear under heavy braking but they are significantly better than before. I would start there.

mtbr member

Still howling

I did all this, too. The vibration isn't as bad now, but is definitely still there. Thanks for the help AZ. I honestly think the issue is a result of the caliper mounting bracket design on these bikes (see below). You basically have a small flange that is unsupported on one end that acts like a tuning fork. I may try wrapping it with some sort of tape to deaden it temporarily. I believe a more permanent solution involves some new pads with either a different compound or different backing material.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "What Would Doug Do?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mine does this also. I just deal with it. Running sintered pads with 8" rotors.
    Orbea Oiz
    Sette Flite
    Bianchi 26er ss

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdog
    I did all this, too. The vibration isn't as bad now, but is definitely still there. Thanks for the help AZ. I honestly think the issue is a result of the caliper mounting bracket design on these bikes (see below). You basically have a small flange that is unsupported on one end that acts like a tuning fork. I may try wrapping it with some sort of tape to deaden it temporarily. I believe a more permanent solution involves some new pads with either a different compound or different backing material.
    The resonant sound you are hearing could very well be coming from the actual rotor. A cheap fix could be trying a different brand rotor. Worst case scenario you might have to change the brakes. Unfortunately Avids are a hit or miss. Many complain about noise and stutter issues. So many threads about these problems you would think Avid would take the problems into account when redesigning the new brakes.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The resonant sound you are hearing could very well be coming from the actual rotor. A cheap fix could be trying a different brand rotor. Worst case scenario you might have to change the brakes. Unfortunately Avids are a hit or miss. Many complain about noise and stutter issues. So many threads about these problems you would think Avid would take the problems into account when redesigning the new brakes.

Short of designing a different brake for every frame I suggest that a better option would be that bike makers design the frame for the brake they spec . IMHO it is more of an issue with frames than brakes .