mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Flite chain question

My Flite is getting close to 100 miles on it and it's developed an odd skip or slip when under tension. I don't know the proper term or how to distinguish between the two, so please be patient.

Basically, once i get into the higher gears > 5 the chain starts releasing or skipping when i'm turing the pedals. Generally, it doesn't just do it when i'm pushing hard, either, but even on flat areas where i'm just trying to maintain speed. Every few rotations it will make it's noise, skip/slip and then catch again.

Not really sure what would be causing this. At first i thought it was only when i was in the smallest front gear, but it's started doing it in the higher gears on the middle chainring, as well.

My goto guy is out of town, so i'm curious if anyone has had similar problems or if this is more general bike knowledge.

thanks

Also, has anyone had trouble with the two screws that hold the seat in place coming loose? I've had to tighten them down twice now in the first 100 miles...

mtbr member
    Check your chain length, or the for bent teeth front and back that could cause your skipping.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Check your chain length, or the for bent teeth front and back that could cause your skipping.
    Hmmm...When my chain developed the skip years ago there was no visual damage to be seen. Once I replaced the chain the skipping was gone and the shop guy confirmed the chain was damaged. Your chain and cassette are new. Check for physical damage first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hmm... okay, so a quick glance yielded nothing obvious as far as damage goes. however, something odd did jump out at me when i was examining the rear derailer. I didn't have the bike up on a stand or anything, so i started running the chain in reverse so i could see all of it for damage. Well, while running it backwards i started to notice ever third rotation (or so) of the pedals the tensioner (?) would pull forward and then a second later release. (I call it the tension her, but it's the arm with the bottom cog that keeps the chain taught.)

Anyway, i did it several more times and the same thing happened at the same point each time the same part of chain went past. I'd assume that means the chain is bad or damaged perhaps?

If that didn't make sense i can try to be more specific, i'm sorry i don't know all the right terms.

thanks for the help, as well.

~Disc~Golf~
    stiff link
    lube it up real good and bend the chain side to side w/ some force until it loosens
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    stiff link
    lube it up real good and bend the chain side to side w/ some force until it loosens
    If that doesn't work, gently pry the stick link plates apart with a flathead screw driver.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Adjust your rear derailleur. The cable has probably stretched.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72
    Adjust your rear derailleur. The cable has probably stretched.
    not my guess if it only happens once per chain revolution

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So far the jury is leaning towards stuck link. I'm not ruling out a second problem, but man, is that link stuck. It has very little range of motion and can only be bent farther using pliers or when pivoted against a screw driver.

I've tried rocking them side to side but it hasn't seemed to loosen yet. I know wd40 is not always the best for chains, but i shot some into the linkage hoping that it will penetrate better than just my chain lube. I gave it a good soaking and am going to let it sit again before attacking it.

Any other suggestions for dealing with an stubborn stuck link?

mtbr member
    Break it free with a chain tool. As in remove the pins and put it back together. Dont forget to lube. You could also replace the stuck link with a Sram Power Link.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by dfeitel
    Any other suggestions for dealing with an stubborn stuck link?
    chain tool -
    push the pin like a quarter-turn from either side

*edit, yeah replacing link w/ a powerlink or similar is a great idea too
    (That is, if you don't already have one)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    chain tool -
    push the pin like a quarter-turn from either side
    beat you
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    beat you
    I'm a slow-typer

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    for those keeping score at home... it was a bad link. As soon as i pulled the chain apart it became clear that the linkage was damaged and wouldn't work. Ended up shortening the chain for today's ride and with the bad link gone... no more problems.

If i get motivated i'll post the picture later. There probably wasn't any way to tell until i pulled the chain apart.

Thanks for all the help.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by dfeitel
    for those keeping score at home...
    so what does Dicator win?